Register

Halogen oven/Air Fryer?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Halogen oven/Air Fryer?

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm

My halogen oven has failed. I use it mostly for grilling. I need to replace it, but I'm now thinking about getting an air-fryer. I've been looking at the Ninja make.

Has anyone experienced an air fryer?

Re: Halogen oven/Air Fryer?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 pm

My limited experience of air fryers left me totally underwhelmed.
Firstly, because "frying" involves cooking in hot fat.
Secondly, because anything that´s not already fairly solid collapses before it´s cooked (falafel, bhajis, pakoras, croquettes).
I suppose it´s ok if you want to cook frozen stuff, like chips, turnovers, etc. - but I personally make them from scratch .
My son loves it because he buys loads of things from Costco.
I also didn´t care much for the texture. Maybe because I´m old school and just love anything deep-fried.

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 am

I need to keep away from anything deep fried, or even ordinarily fried at the moment. :cry:

I need it for grilling fish, vegetables, such as peppers, mushrooms. The grill on my oven isn't working, which is why the halogen oven was so useful. I don't want to use a frying pan.

Thanks for your help.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:42 am

I have one and love it. I have made passable "roast" parsnips and potatoes when I've been short on time - takes less than 30 minutes. Another thing that I make a lot is a soy, honey and sesame glazed salmon which takes less than 10 minutes and is a very tasty dish. Have a look on Amazon for air fryer recipe books - they can give you an idea of what you can make in them - I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinny-ActiFry ... 219&sr=8-1
If you wanted to really splash out, Instant Pot are due to release an additional lid which turns it into an air fryer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Ai ... B07VF7J5VQ

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 am

Looking at prices alone, a replacement halogen at £55 (large, so 12L) could be an option, e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Convecti ... 088&sr=8-6

Sorry I can't help on how good airfryers are for grilling since by definition aren't direct radiant heat or how versatile they are compared to a halogen. (I use my halogen for initial baking of home mades and heating pre-cooked frozen things.)

Would it be cheaper and easier to get your oven grill fixed? A cheeky question I know but if you really need a grill mostly it might make sense.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am

If you search on Air Fryer on this forum it brings up a few comments.

There was a thread on the old Wildies forum - you can still search it. This link should take you to a discussion on them:-

http://www.wildfood.info/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p512929

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 am

Pampy wrote:If you wanted to really splash out, Instant Pot are due to release an additional lid which turns it into an air fryer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Ai ... B07VF7J5VQ

Not entirely sure , but from what I understand this new lid, if used in the UK, will invalidate any warranty. I am on the UK facebook group (Instant Pot UK community) where you will get all the best advice.

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

Thank you all so much for your help. I will read through the links.

Jeral, I thought about getting a new grill element fixed to my oven, but I didn't like the grill because it always seemed too hot, also it was well below eye level. Both the Halogen and Air Fryer are very easy to clean and that is an important consideration these days! Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am

Morning Renee.
I'd buy a replacement oven/grill thing. Either a halogen oven. Or if you need one, a combination microwave oven.
I use my combi every day as an oven.

The airfryer is great. Don't get me wrong. But it only comes out of the cupboard for chips and skewers.
I have the Philips fryer, and have the skewer gadget that goes inside too, that takes meats, or vegetables. It's a fast cooker too.
Sunflower recommended I put a metal mesh in the bottom of the tray with a paper towel - to stop things sticking, and for easy cleaning. Although it all goes into the dishwashwer.

If you loved your halogen, get another one.
If you didn't really, then get a stand alone oven.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Morning Renee.
I'd buy a replacement oven/grill thing. Either a halogen oven. Or if you need one, a combination microwave oven.
I use my combi every day as an oven.

I have a combination microwave but rarely use the grill part and my built in oven also has a grill at the top. Thanks Gill , you have inspired me to use the grill in the combi when I do cheese on toast, one of my favourite comfort snacks. I am guessing/hoping that it would take less power to heat up. This will be put to the test today :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm a recent air fryer convert over the last few months and absolutely love it. I'm using it pretty much as I would the oven for things like baked spuds, reheating pies etc. as well as oven chips/ wedges etc. It makes wonderful "fried" chicken and chicken wings. I'm using it several times a week. Mine is a Tefal Easy Fry with the manual timer/temp setting which I wanted so I could decide how hot/how long to cook for. I wish I'd bought one years ago now. https://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-applian ... y%2bfryers

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm

I forgot about the grill function, our Patsy.
I too, shall give that setting more attention.

Baked pots are fantastic in the actifry, liketocook. :hi5:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I forgot about the grill function, our Patsy.
I too, shall give that setting more attention.

Well, I won't be bothering with that again :thumbsdown Even with the high rack, it barely melted the cheese on grill for 4 minutes. I then added sliced tomatoes for another 4 minutes and they were just warm. The instructions imply that it will toast bread in 4 minutes but thought my toaster would make a better job. :roll: I suppose with trial and error, I could set the timer for longer, but you can't really see when to turn it off. It doesn't help that the microwave is above the oven, so almost above my head height :thumbsdown

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Hmmmm. I wonder if the grill + microwave combi could do any better, Patsy?

By the way, when you bake the eggs in an oven, why do you have to put them in or on a metal tin (from the images I've just googled).
As some people seem to have a problem with scorching the egg when they do it.

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Thanks liketocook for the link and the information about the Tefal air fryer. I'm very impressed with it and have read all the reviews.

It will be either that one or another halogen oven. I'm gong to do some more reading.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Hmmmm. I wonder if the grill + microwave combi could do any better, Patsy?

I wonder if it would then over-cook the bread ? I think it would help in melting the cheese - need more experimenting ;) :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I used to have a microwave which also had a grill and oven. I never used the oven and wasn't too happy with the grill. Having said that, I'm not very good with microwave ovens!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:34 am

I’ve had a combi microwave for years, the microwave is great, the oven is good and the combination functions are good for some things notably quick jacket spuds but the grill is completely useless

When it dies ( it’s quite old) I will replace it with another but this time I want a flat bed model, i.e. no turntable as mine is a fiddle, constantly coming away and hard to replace

I have been thinking of the Phillips air fryer for a few months now since someone made perfect Burmese Fried Chicken in one, I didn’t know about the skewer thing, that might decide me to get one, it sounds handy

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Renée, let us know what you decide. I wonder if anyone knows how long air fryers at the cheaper end last for.

Gillthepainter wrote:By the way, when you bake the eggs in an oven, why do you have to put them in or on a metal tin (from the images I've just googled).
As some people seem to have a problem with scorching the egg when they do it.

I read that putting eggs in a muffin tin or a big suitable dish merely stops them rolling about. I didn't read about scorching, though perhaps manually turning them might avoid that? I'm surprised eggs would scorch as 160 or 150C fan isn't very hot.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Maybe this is finally a good use for all those silicone muffin trays?

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox