Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 29, 2022 5:08 pm

For most purposes I use Marigold heavy duty, the black ones, which I see.p they have now branded as Outdoor

https://www.marigold.co.uk/extra-tough- ... ves-medium

Available in some supermarkets and places like Willko

My only issue is that they don’t do small, and medium is quite large

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 29, 2022 8:11 pm

I really like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1

They are machine washable. Perhaps a bit sweaty when it's very hot out, in which case I just use cloth ones. I don't like using gloves but I have had too many little cuts starting to go septic. I also get this funny rough patch on one finger when I wash my hands a lot, which becomes ingrained with dirt.
It's always a good idea to use gloves when handling canes too.

Postby scullion » Mon May 30, 2022 12:06 am

mine are pretty much like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Leather-Gardening-Gloves-Garden/dp/B07PXSRNX6?th=1 although i buy them when they are in lidl at probably half that price.
they last years although if you're not very careful with washing them when they get really filthy the leather can go hard (but by that time i've possibly worn them through).

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Thank you all for your glove advice.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 31, 2022 2:59 pm

Last night I potted up some more tomatoes - kind of there now but... see below.
I also planted out some peas.
This morning I set up another quadgrow and planted out at least 45 plants (still many more to go. Definitely a Sisyphean task), moved a huge, self-seeded aster from the front of the border to the back. I may have killed it. Pity. It looked very healthy.
Potted up 5 assorted chillies and peppers.
Potted up some Schizanthus.
Last week and today, more tomato plants arrived from Suttons but in such a terrible state. I have emailed to complain (can't face a phone call). I don't strictly need them, but if I cam going to throw £25 away I'd rather donate it in the form of healthy plants to friends and neighbours. They arrived wilting and dying in compost that was like dust.

I need to cut my rose back. It's flowering so heavily, it's bowing to the ground. I think I will pick a big bunch or two then cut. I have tried tying it back to itself but it's still flopping over. It's not in a great location tbh, but does provide some wind protection for tomatoes.

My cousin gave me a rose to commemorate my mother. I am really not sure where to put it...

The sweet peas in the raised bed are really taking off now.

It's stopped raining so I ought to go on snail patrol. I have nematodes to water in asap too. Ha just before it rained I had been spraying newly planted things with spray that is supposed to render them unpalatable. I imagine it’s washed off.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:17 am

I am hoping to do a bit of stuff in the garden today, if I can. (Might be tricky with trying to keep Basil in and having deliveries I can't afford to miss coming.) I prepped some seed pots and want to sow some courgettes, and various other veg. I have a packet of carosello I am going to give a go. I know it's a bit late... Hopefully it/they will grow quickly.

I am having a problem with my french beans that I planted out a while back. They are not thriving and some of their leaves are going brown and falling off. This is an issue as they are young and hardly have any leaves. I realize now I shouldn't have put them where I have as I had a mosaic virus (I think. Maybe. Didn't affect my harvest) last year, but this is not the current problem. Could the strulch be a problem? It's quite old now. I put it on months ago and it's semi-rotted. I did plant the beans with handfuls of new compost. I have just a few beans I grew from seed. Not sure whether to use them to replace the ones that have lost their leaves or put them in a pot. (Which will require buying more compost and add to the watering problem if I go away.)
The peas aren't doing that well either (different bed). Maybe it is the strulch...

Gardening is never straight forward...!

I need to feed things asap and pot on some dahlias and, and... a list as long as my arm!

Postby scullion » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:52 am

my peas are rubbish - not growing very well even though they are flowering and have small peas on. i need to plant another row.
i had to look up strulch (a trade name by the looks of it). i wouldn't have thought that was the problem but never having used it, i wouldn't really know.
did you harden off the beans before you put them out?
i know the dry weather and the poor condition of the allotment soil has had a lot to do with the poor growth of some of my plantings.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:37 pm

These were bought beans and were outside at the garden centre so I didn't harden them off. (Reminds me, though, I should do so with the ones in the greenhouse.

Some of the leaves are looking a bit mottled - what I took to be mosaic virus last year - but maybe it's something else and I don't think it's a prelude to the going brown. (Very fast if it is.) I think the strulch ought to be ok. The rest of the soil is garden soil from where the greenhouse/old raised beds were, manure and a litttle compost I planted them with. I don't think they should need feeding really, but I suppose I could do that.

I had one lot of peas die altogether (same bed as the beans). But the other ones in a different bed are not great. I have had a couple of pods's worth. (Literally.) Some purchased ones quite recently planted look ok... I need to sow some more. I have some going in the greenhouse, but might sow some direct too somewhere.

I am itching to go out and do something, but I have not done enough work to merit a break.

I treated myself to a large metal Hawes watering can. I am absurdly pleased with it.

Postby scullion » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:31 pm

i have one of those - and a cheaper (£10 i think) metal one from aldi. i definitely prefer the hawes.

ps. was the manure properly composted?

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:14 pm

I just love the watering can. It's a dream to pour.

The manure was stuff bought in a bag from a garden centre, so should have been...

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:56 am

Yesterday I sowed Carsorella, cucamelon (hope they are not too similar. Not a big cucamelon fan, but I thought, why not...) courgette Zephyr, quite a lot of basil - sweet and lettuce types, Uchiki kuri squash, sweetcorn: earlibird and moonshine.
I know I am a bit late with some of these, but nothing ventured etc.

I want to sow some ordinary rocket, wasabi rocket and cavolo nero. Also scatter some borage seeds somewhere. A few more peas too.

What else can one still sow at this point for this year? Spinach, I imagine...

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:19 pm

carrots, beetroot, peas, beans - anything for second (or first) crops, new potatoes for late/christmas crops.
i've gathered a load of chervil seed to spread on the allotment and elsewhere in the garden (i love it in salad).
chard can still go and give a crop over winter.
i have a load of leeks to pot up into modules (to plant out when they are a bit bigger).

here's a list from gardener's world, too. https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/what-to-plant-june/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Super%20seeds&utm_term=14177193&utm_campaign=22020609_GW_gwnl_act_1891660_Gardeners%27%20World_Weekly%20Email%20Newsletter_2125292

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm

I just sowed and resowed some (more) peas. The ones I sowed in the greenhouse (that came up...) look really good.
The first two lots had very thin stems where they emerged from the soil, which can't have helped their health?

Yes, of course, carrots. Not sure where, though. I suppose they could go between peas, as they aren't very tall ones?

My autumn-sown broad beans will probably be done when I pick the current crop i.e. no more flowers. I think I will take them out and use the small raised bed for something else. Maybe the sweetcorn and more beans. I am not trying to grow a lot of sweetcorn. I wasn't going to grow any. I will need to find a way to deter (I am sure that stopping isn't possible) squirrels from nabbing the whole lot like they did last year. I wonder if decoy fat balls would work along with netting. Anyway that's a while off, assuming they germinate.

I could have another go at beetroot. Not sure where though. I am trying to limit the number of containers I am using.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:00 pm

I keep meaning to tell you all about these podcasts I've been introduced to by my gardening DD.

They're called 'Talking Dirty' and its the wonderful Alan Gray (of The Old Vicarage at East Ruston ... gardener extraordinaire and writer for the RHS mag) and Thordis Fridriksson and gardening guests) .

https://www.gardeners-club.co.uk/talking-dirty-channel/ .... absolutely bloomin' marvellous ... I think I'm hooked.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:15 am

I need an idiot guide to listening to podcasts ... :oops: :(

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:55 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I need an idiot guide to listening to podcasts ... :oops: :(

1. Click on this .....https://podtail.com/en/podcast/talking-dirty/

2. Choose an episode.

3. Don't forget to turn your sound on if you normally have it turned down.

:D

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 pm

Will look into that, Suffs.

I did a couple of hours in the garden after work. I potted on a couple of dahlias, potted 4 aubergines and two sweet peppers into their final pots and put them on Quadgrow tanks. I set up yet another quadgrow. I am exceeding my prescribed tomato limit even after chucking a couple away (accidents) and taking delivery of ones that were irrevocably damaged - see below. I need to set a limit on aubergines too. I have too many. You can't store/freeze excess aubergines like you can tomatoes...

I also planted out a few beetroot, 10 assorted French beans and two peas. Bean order from Suttons came with most of their stems broken off and have mostly died in the course of the day. I will not order from them again. 4th damaged order in a row. I hope they don't owe me anything else. To be fair, the pepper and aubergines were ok, although they mixed up the order. They came a while ago though, so the problems they are/I am having must be more recent.
The tomato plants were too small too late, though, damage notwithstanding.

Finally I planted out a few flowers and dredged the butler sink pond. (My gardener cleared the area around it so I have an empty bed to plant up. Will prioritize plants to shade the pond.

Garden nibbles today have been two strawberries, a raspberry and two peas!

edit: add to that redcurrants.

I also constructed a bean support (having nipped out to B&Q at lunch time. It was fun carrying 20x 240cm bamboo canes back. Not.) How could I forget that=? A bit taller than I wanted but the smaller ones were a bit smaller than I wanted. Actually all I intended to do was construct the bean support, but one thing led to another. It's lovely out. Lots of goldfinch and long tailed tits.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:53 pm

Suffs wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I need an idiot guide to listening to podcasts ... :oops: :(

1. Click on this .....https://podtail.com/en/podcast/talking-dirty/

2. Choose an episode.

3. Don't forget to turn your sound on if you normally have it turned down.

:D

Phone, or laptop, or tv ? I am that much of an idiot :oops: :roll: :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:36 pm

Should work on phone or laptop, that’s a link specifically to the gardening podcast

If tou click on the link just follow the on-screen instructions

Probably best with headphones

To get into podcasts more generally, you’d be better off with an app, again any device you have will probably work, but it would be easier to set that up face to face

What phone do you have? Many come with a podcast manager already on board

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:41 pm

mahoosive watering session done from the stream. Lots of my annuals are late to flower, but hope the sun will bring them on. Shop bought are so much earlier.
We have sat in the summer house and enjoyed the tranquility. There is an oak tree we call the green man, but sadly, a wispy willow is passing him. This might be the last year we see him. His 'mouth' moves in the wind!!
IMG_20220614_184703_resize_37.jpg
IMG_20220614_184703_resize_37.jpg (215.91 KiB) Viewed 3363 times

The roses are also beautiful; I cut two 'posies' to give away. The scented pinks are coming out (from cuttings) and the sweet peas are just lovely.
The hen has eaten my first courgette. She's also had a go at the broad beans. :?

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff