Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:31 pm

aero280 wrote:I’ve just finished the latest Brunetti. I’m now waiting on the latest Mike Ripley “Campion” to be returned to the library. I’m quite enjoying these. They follow on from the original Margery Allingham books.

Ooh, I didn’t know he was doing that, I’ll try one, I enjoyed his Angel books up to the point where Angel got too trigger happy for a cheeky Lovejoy type chap, though the Lovejoy books aren’t as light and charming as the tv version. Part of what I enjoyed was that Angel’s area of London overlapped with mine

Postby smitch » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 pm

I have a vague memory of enjoying a book years ago with a taxi driver called Angel. Thanks, Sue, I know what it is now!

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:37 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I like her writing Sue. I'll look out for that.

I'm reading Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris. I don't usually do suspense but it's so good.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/151 ... nd_Players

There are two more in the series.

I have just finished this. I really enjoyed it. So thank for the rec!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:41 pm

Great. The other two are just as good!

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Excellent. Thanks PP

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:13 pm

Michelle Obama's book, Becoming, we found fascinating. The insights into her upbringing, her gradual awareness of what it meant to be black, her relationship with her husband and the political world are all worth a read.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
aero280 wrote:I’ve just finished the latest Brunetti. I’m now waiting on the latest Mike Ripley “Campion” to be returned to the library. I’m quite enjoying these. They follow on from the original Margery Allingham books.

Ooh, I didn’t know he was doing that, I’ll try one, I enjoyed his Angel books up to the point where Angel got too trigger happy for a cheeky Lovejoy type chap, though the Lovejoy books aren’t as light and charming as the tv version. Part of what I enjoyed was that Angel’s area of London overlapped with mine

I didn’t appreciate until I looked at the blurb for the Mr Campion books the Mike Ripley had worked on the Lovejoy scripts, no wonder I felt the similarity.

I enjoyed the first Mr Campion book, more Phillip Youngman Carter than peak Allingham, and I wish Ripley would learn to proof read, but it’s the sort of thing I need to get back into reading - it’s like gently increasing exercise, start with Ripley, move up to Serious Literature

I’ve hit a small snag though, having noticed that the Ripley book was in Kindle Unlimited I signed up for 3 months trial at 99p per month.

Turns out that the rest of the series aren’t in Unlimited, in fact none of the books on my book list are, nothing I’d intended to read.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Hurrah ! I have finally found the books I bought for St Lucia. I had forgotten I put them 'just out of sight' as the temptation was too much for OH and he was reading all the holiday lit. The theme is Greek, John Humphries Blue Skies and Black Olives for me and Old Greek Stories & and Anton Chekov book for OH.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Just finished Hillary Clinton's thriller State of Terror for BG on Thursday. She wrote it with Louise Penny, who is apparently an accomplished thriller writer - I hadn't heard of her.

Very complex, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit I enjoyed the feeling that when she was describing the Sit Room she'd actually been there and done it!!

I haven't read any of the other ex Politico novels that I can remember, and certainly no thrillers, so it was a first for me. It was a 99p Amazon special when it was suggested for BG.

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:22 pm

i am just starting the eleventh matthew bartholomew, in the series - only another fourteen to go after this one...

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:38 pm

I'm up to date on Matthew Bartholomew, and Thomas Chaloner. :)

I've been using the free downloads from the local library for a while. The range isn't that extensive, but the most annoying part is that when they do a series, they have some missing, so you can't read the lot that way. Half way through, you have to find a hard copy.

Postby aero280 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:28 pm

Having a giggle today. I’m reading the latest Macro & Cato adventure by Simon Scarrow. It’s set in Sardinia where the heroes have been sent to subdue the natives, as usual.

But everything is complicated by a plague spreading across the island. Things are not helped by the indolent Roman governor of the province, who goes by the name “Borus Pomponius Scarra” - which is roughly translated into English as “Boris Pompous Buffoon” :D

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:33 pm

aero280 wrote:Having a giggle today. I’m reading the latest Macro & Cato adventure by Simon Scarrow. It’s set in Sardinia where the heroes have been sent to subdue the natives, as usual.

But everything is complicated by a plague spreading across the island. Things are not helped by the indolent Roman governor of the province, who goes by the name “Borus Pomponius Scarra” - which is roughly translated into English as “Boris Pompous Buffoon” :D

HaHa, aero :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:06 pm

love it!
i'll have to go back to that series next - after i've done with matthew bartholomew...

Postby halfateabag » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:12 pm

I have now finished Blue Skies and Black Olives and what a lovely (if slightly frustrating read) Our villa owner was most insistent I read it and boy, how right he was. We are going through a similar array of hoops to jump through. John & his son Christopher give alternate views on each other and situations in a most hilarious way. So much so, the other morning whilst reading it I laughed out loud and woke OH up ! Most enjoyable.

Moira, just wondering if you have read it???? Also Moira, your beautifully made book mark has found its way out here in my next book which is The Visible World by Mark Slouka. OH has read it and says it's a bit 'dark'.

Postby mistakened » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:25 am

Zosh, I have read Blue Skies etc, I had to wait for the Kindle price to reduce. Luckily we deal with a different bureaucracy but they are just as keen in collecting stamps. I have heard similar stories about the ownership of both olive and carob trees. The land ownership rules are different and the Forestry Dept is a powerful ministry

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:14 am

I have found that since Chris died my reading mojo has returned. Or it could be a post-Covid thing. Suddenly I can concentrate for more than ten minutes at a time. At present I am ploughing through George V by Jane Ridley. It’s hard going, a wonderful portrait of a rather dull king but a very interesting wife, Queen Mary. Also goes some way to explaining why King Edward VIII was why he was. I am pleased with myself for weaning myself off the chick-lit for a bit.

Postby aero280 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:36 am

I was looking at the local library website with a view to reserving a book, and I realised that they listed my borrowing history since 2015!! A quick check shows that i have read, on average, two books a week in that time. I must find something more active to do :oops: :oops:
Last edited by aero280 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:51 am

aero280 wrote:I was looking at the local library website with a view to reserving a book, and I realised that they listed my borrowing history since 2015!! A quick check shows that i have read, on average, two books a week in that time. I must find something more active to dw :oops: :oops:

You shouldn't feel embarrassed about reading 2 books a week.
That's a goal that a lot of people strive towards :) and wish they had the time for!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:42 pm

I am taking a break from all the fantastical (arguably) drivel I like to read and reading Monica Ali's Love Marriage So far, so good.

I had a phone call from my mother's library (home service) and she still has books out from 2015. (Ok 2018...) :o

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff