Register

Scotch pancakes/drop scones

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Scotch pancakes/drop scones

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:02 pm

Many many years ago NLB I was exiled to Staffs for a couple of years & I absolutely loathed those oatcakes....m'ducks.. :(

I did however acquire a lot of very beautiful fine bone china which is in constant use......... :thumbsup

ZeroCook wrote:Do you use the bakestone on top of the stove, Lush?

Always Zero - it's never seen the inside of the oven.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:07 pm

My father's family come from the Staffordshire/Shropshire border, they often called crumpets pikelets when I was a child, they would also eat oatcakes but those aren't a big thing round Cannock, Willenhall, and Walsall where many of them ended up, though I think one lot of [very] distant cousins may still be your local lock keepers

I love Staffordshire oatcakes, must make some, mine aren't greasy, I use Felicity Cloak's recipe, but make them slightly smaller so they are easy to freeze

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... e-oatcakes

And going back to the original topic, perhaps these are the perfect ones for savoury toppings

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Only discovered Staffordshire Oatcakes when we moved to Cumbria bizarrely. They sell them at local Sainsbury's. I'm very partial to them. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby northleedsbhoy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 pm

I much prefer Scottish Oatcakes, in fact I’ve just ordered some Nairn ones on my next Sainsbury’s order.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:40 am

Love Scottish oatcakes too. I usually carry a few with me when on one of my solo walks or long runs. Really good for slow-releasing energy. :thumbsup

Going back to things I've only discovered recently, another is stove-bottom muffins. Again, they sell them locally (though more a Lancashire thing than a Cumbrian thing).

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 pm

We call them "oven bottoms".

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 am

It's hard to beat Nairns in my opinion though Sainsbury's own brand are surprisingly good (if rather more like savoury digestive biscuits).

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:54 am

Seatallan wrote:It's hard to beat Nairns in my opinion though Sainsbury's own brand are surprisingly good (if rather more like savoury digestive biscuits).

Stockans from Orkney are good as well. I get them from Waitrose, although I think Tesco sell them as well. I get the ones in the blue wrapper as they are the fine ones. They have a slightly saltier taste than Nairns and I think they’re better if just eating them with unsalted butter.

Cheers

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm

Something went wrong and the board merged a post from ZeroCook with my reply which quoted it
Unfortunately this loses the photo of the pikelets

This was the reply

ZeroCook wrote:Love the idea of a bakestone being used on top of the stove. A lot :D

Big fan of Staffs oatcakes. What is the difference from Scottish oatcakes?

Sourdough starter discard pikelets/freeform crumpets yesterday with some roasted fine blue cornmeal, touch of baking powder, no sugar. Good result. Tasty, with body, but light.

Nice looking pikepets

I think the thing about a bakestone is that it was used by people who did not have domestic ovens to make scones, small cakes, and some kinds of bread, much as a tawa is used to make chapatti and roti

A Scottish oatcake is small and crisp, used in place of a cracker, crispbread or savoury biscuit, often made from a coarser oatmeal than Staffordshire ones which are bigger and softer and used as wraps

There are lots of recipes for Scottish oatcakes on the internet but I've never made them, I buy Nairn's in a packet, so I can't recommend one. All the recipes I found bake them as biscuits but I'm sure I've seen somewhere that, like Scandinavian rye and barley crispbreads, they were originally bigger, cooked on a bakestone or girdle, and only crisped up when dried on racks. Like crispbreads, they migrated to the oven when it appeared

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:49 pm

That was strange.
Redid my post/photo from Stokey's quote :

ZeroCook wrote:Love the idea of a bakestone being used on top of the stove. A lot :D

Big fan of Staffs oatcakes. What is the difference from Scottish oatcakes?

Sourdough starter discard pikelets/freeform crumpets yesterday with some roasted fine blue cornmeal, touch of baking powder, no sugar. Good result. Tasty, with body, but light.

Re Scottish oat cakes - I make the biscuity baked ones quite often - just thought there was a more pancakey version that I didn't know about.

About stovetop bakestones - good to know the bought ceramic ones work that way too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:34 am

Wow!
I could eat those for breakfast any day, Zero. Really lovely.
Tidy too.
If I do free-form baking, they are all over the place.

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm

ZeroCook wrote:About stovetop bakestones - good to know the bought ceramic ones work that way too.

are you thinking of the ceramic pizza stones? if you put that on the stove top remember to be very careful about applying heat - too quick and it'll crack.
the (welsh) bakestones that are used for drop scones etc, on the hob, are the heavy, ferrous ones (which could also go in the oven and be used as a pizza stone as well as on the hob) - they are less susceptible to the ravages thermal expansion/shock.
to be honest i would never - ever - use my pizza stone on the hob.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 am

scullion wrote:
ZeroCook wrote:About stovetop bakestones - good to know the bought ceramic ones work that way too.

are you thinking of the ceramic pizza stones? if you put that on the stove top remember to be very careful about applying heat - too quick and it'll crack.
the (welsh) bakestones that are used for drop scones etc, on the hob, are the heavy, ferrous ones (which could also go in the oven and be used as a pizza stone as well as on the hob) - they are less susceptible to the ravages thermal expansion/shock.
to be honest i would never - ever - use my pizza stone on the hob.

Yes, as I said, it’s pretty similar to a tawa, which is a great lump of metal

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:58 am

When I lived in Scotland in the 60’s the cooker we had had a griddle plate as well as rings. It could be used for cooking as well as making drop scones etc, not a clue what it was made of but I remember it having a roughish feel to it so it could’ve been some sort of stone.

Cheers

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:11 am

The cooker I grew up with did too, NLB. Two rings and the griddle which I think could be used as a slow hot plate as well. We used to make Singing Hinnie on it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 am

My aunt had a Belling electric stove, two ring and a flat hot plate

She used to grill the bacon for breakfast, then put the grill pan on the hot plate, which it fitted, and cook the eggs etc in the bacon fat

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm

ours, too, four rings and a griddle plate - which i think may have been aluminium.
it was a radiation new world range cooker like this one.
the bedsit i shared in swiss cottage had the baby belling one - no rings just the hotplate from what i remember.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm

This is the one I remember

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox