Register

Childhood food you can't match

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Childhood food you can't match

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:26 pm

Mum made the most fabulous lemon meringue pie, using sweetened condensed milk. Mounds of billowy meringue sat atop a generous lemon filling.
On Mondays, we had rissoles and, though I'd probably be very disappointed by them now, they used to be the height of sophistication!
I used to call her chips, burnt potatoes.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm

Yes, Mum made a good lemon meringue pie. So did MIL. Neither Mrs B nor I appear to have inherited the knack...

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:29 am

My mum used to make Queen of Puddings which was so delicious!

Postby Meganthemog » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:52 am

My mother was a good cook and learnt to cook through rationing. She married straight after the war and had no experience of cooking before that. She was one of the eldest of 8 siblings, but it was my granny who did all the cooking. Our food was pretty plain in comparison to the sort of meals we eat now. Lots of soups and stews, casseroles and roast dinners but she did experiment with curries and Chinese inspired recipes. But it was her baking she was renown for - she baked bread every day along with sponges, shortbread and Danish pastries - she made them with marzipan. We used to go on long walks with friends and she'd unpack boxes of pastries to keep us going - we were very active as a family so didn't have any problem with all the calories! I still make soup to her recipes - when I had Covid I would have killed for a bowl of her chicken broth!
I don't make cakes very often as my OH doesn't have a sweet tooth at all, but my GS does so I am getting more practise these days. Much to his mother's annoyance he declared that Nanna was the best cook in the world the other day :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:28 pm

sort of related - on the radio 4 programme on saturday morning, this morning, was the mention of 'pixie food' - food from your childhood that is now no longer as you remembered it.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox