Register

A Cheese Board for the Food Board

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: New Years Day 2022

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:15 am

Prawn cocktails never go out of fashion.

Salad brigade here too.
Blue cheese dressing, camembert, green beans & fillet steak.
We both tried some St Agur and almost gagged it's so strong.
I knew I could use it in this dressing though, which has tamed it.

What do people do with this cheese, I wonder.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:56 am

Gill, we have it in a pasta sauce with cream.

Your steak salad looks fab, really good idea!

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:43 pm

It’s strange , I’m not really a blue cheese lover , but the last time I tried st agur , I didn’t find it too strong at all for my liking .

It’s nice stuffed in chicken with spinach and wrapped in bacon

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:05 pm

I eat St Agur but it’s not my favourite blue cheese,

I don’t find it too strong in the sense of very blued, but it is a bit too salty for my taste

My dad liked quite a thin piece sandwiched between two crackers, which fits with the theme of taming it with carbs

There’s a spreadable version which is ok

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:01 pm

saucy seems to be the way to go, then thank you.
Indeed we did buy the spreadable version, Sue. It was overpowering in its blueness.

With the remainder, I was going to make moules in a blue cheese sauce - which Tony orders in a moules chain in France = wine, cream, blue cheese.

And we are happy with blue cheese in general, such as rochfort.

I'm a bit wimpy as I get on a bit, and like dolcelatte and mild cheeses. Tony comes back with #4 cheddar which I find unpleasant.
#2 is great tho.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:38 am

Love St Agur (wedge, not tried the spread). In fact it’s my ‘go to’ every-day blue cheese when a ripe local Binham Blue or a good soft Stilton aren’t available … send any unwanted blue cheese this way please (except that awfully salty Danish Blue that was everywhere in the 60/70s :stfu )

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:11 am

I also love St Agur. In fact I love all blue cheeses so I’ll have to fight Suffs for my share. I love really mature cheddar too. And I REALLY love really strong cheeses like Epoisse. The only cheese I’m not so keen on is mild cheddar (and a lot of American cheese). Hungry now!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm

Amyw wrote:It’s funny , I’m not really a “cheese” person . Would never take part in a cheeseboard but I love a really tangy mature cheddar . Do we have a cheese thread?

Here we go, a new cheese thread

Re: A Cheese Board for the Food Board

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:27 pm

Another blue cheese lover here.

Gorgonzola piccante from Waitrose is my current munch. Also love St Agur, Cropwell Bishop Blue Stilton, Roquefort. I like them all with fancy crackers, grapes or figs and a lot of butter, less keen on them cooked.

Am also a big fan of smoked cheeses.

Not Goat cheese eater however. Can’t get the smell past my nose. :oops:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:27 pm

I rather like St Agur too (it does remind me of those little individually wrapped cheese plates you get on overnight Brittiny Ferries - pretty much the only thing savoury I could eat as a vegetarian - and that not as a strict vegetarian.) I have some I bought in Normandy a month ago in the fridge. It is very salty - it's not subtle and it's not posh - which maybe why I like it.

Comte is one of my favourites. Cheddar with crunchy bits, and parmesan... yum. I suppose these are all quite sweet. Smoked cheddar is good, but then I like anything smoked, pretty much.

I don't have very refined tastes insofar that I am less keen on 'difficult' cheeses - incredibly strong cheddars (which taste a bit mouldy to me), strong stiltons, ripe camemberts and the like. re. Camembert type cheeses... I very much dislike the ammonia aspect. But that said, I would eat all of the above.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm

I love St Agur too though I haven’t tried it cooked. We also tried a new one for us over Christmas, Castello blue which seemed a bit creamier.

Our main problem is the whole Brie I bought for when the family was here, which I found untouched in the garage fridge. Not a problem as such but the calories might be!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm

I've been thinking about it, and I think I prefer a slightly sweeter blue cheese perhaps, as an "everyday" blue cheese I like the Long Clawson Shropshire Blue, but my Christmas blue cheeses were Cropwell Bishop Stilton and some nice Yorkshire Blue from Waitrose, I seldom meet one I really dislike though

I had a £15 English selection box from the John Lewis/Waitrose cheese room, absolute bargain, included the Yorkshire Blue, a nice mild but very ripe Somerset Brie style cheese, a soft herbed goat (which I couldn't eat as it tasted of lactic ferment), some Sussex Charmer Cheddar which we all liked a lot (a fairly sweet and mellow one) and a little waxed truckle of Godminster which I'm hanging on to as the BB date is 14th July

Postby Suelle » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:09 pm

I like Blackstick's Blue as a basic 'everyday' blue cheese, as it's not too strongly 'blue'. However, because the base cheese is yellow rather than white, it makes quite a lurid cheese sauce. :lol:

I usually find roquefort too salty for my tastes.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby chihuahua8 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:27 pm

Like Pepper Pig, I have the same problem with goats cheese. Love most other cheese as long as you can taste something, can't abide the really bland stuff.
JeanT

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 pm

I'm with Herbi on not liking the ammonia aspect of some cheeses.

I think the most fabulous blue cheese I ever had was a Bleu d'Auvergne which came from Mortimer & Bennett on Turnham Green Terrace about 15 or maybe even 20 years ago at a friend's Christmas party!

We used to like the Lidl Gorzonzola Piccante but haven't bought it for several years as they must have changed their supplier and we didn't like it any more.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 pm

I disliked goat’s cheese until fairly recently (thinking it tasted of goat) but I’ve turned a corner. Largely because although I adore cheese I’m dairy intolerant so can rarely eat it. I do though - very occasionally- and sod the consequences. I’m not sure Cambozola has been mentioned. Love that. I had a Christmas present of a potted Stilton that I’m looking forward to opening when we get home!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:09 pm

Goats cheese does taste like goats smell...! (But I still like it.)

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:28 pm

I quite liked the Lymeswold "factory" cheese but I don't think that they make it any more.

I rather like Stichelton and some of the Roquefort varieties. I've been around the caves a couple of times. The last time there was a huge queue in the shop at the end of the tour, so we went down the road and bought some from "Papillon" on the recommendation of ianinfrance. It was very nice.

My favourite soft cheese is still Tunworth.

Postby Binky » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:09 pm

We had Baron Bigod for the first time this Christmas. It was very good but not as good as a runny Brie de Meaux (imo).

There used to be a cheese stall on our local market (maybe it's still there) where we would buy small amounts of different cheeses to try. I often wonder if the Brexit rules have hampered their importing of the various cheeses we enjoyed - Swiss, Italian, French and a few Spanish.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:22 pm

I'm not a cheese connoisseur but of course like good cheese and particularly strong tasting and sharp ones. I've never tried Epoisse but would like to.

I have tried hard to like the ammonia aspect of Goat but really don't. There's a cheese maker locally who makes delicious goat cheese without the ammonia taste so I'm not sure how/why it varies.

Talking of smoked cheese, before Christmas I discovered a cheap 'smokey flavoured' cheese in Sainsburys. Probably old ends squashed together with flavouring and not very refined but very moreish all the same.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... lsrc=aw.ds
One thing I find very hard is to eat an elegant amount of cheese and biscuits in polite company ... it's rather easy to be piggy :).

We lived in Australia in the days when department stores still had nice food sections. On Saturday mornings my mother would ask for 1lb cheese pieces and we'd get a big bag of offcuts and end pieces of every kind of cheese imaginable especially European cheeses with caraway seeds and that kind of thing. We always had it with bread and soup for lunch - a wonderful education.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox