Register

Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Soup

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:04 pm

That looks "souper" Amy :yum , DS2 has that book, I must get him to dig it out.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Thank you . When the first recipe I cook from a book turns out well , it always inspires me to cook another from it pretty quickly .

Postby liketocook » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Cooked a pan of chicken, veg and rice soup yesterday using a tub of peri peri spiced chicken stock. It's added a lovely flavour to the broth. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:41 pm

I made a pumpkin/squash soup yesterday using a small onion squash, the ones the French call potimarron (chestnut pumpkin)

I didn't quite follow Felicity Cloake's recipe https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... oup-recipe but I did follow her tip of making a broth from the stuff removed from the centre and a few bits trimmed off the outside, to which I added trimmings of celery and onion from a casserole I was making, a bay leaf, a stray carrot (peeled and cut into 3), a bay leaf and a (probably unnecessary) pinch of Marigold bouillon, all simmered together for about 20 minutes in ~750 ml water then left to cool before straining

Game changer. The broth was velvety and intensely flavoured, would have made a good base for a vegetable noodle soup.

I roasted the squash wedges (skin on) with a quartered peeled onion and a couple of whole garlic cloves. I put everything except the garlic skins, in the stock with some extra water and simmered for 20 minutes, then blitzed an adjusted seasoning. I might add additional flavours when I serve the remaining 3 portions, but it doesn't need it

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:23 pm

That sounds really good and I like the idea of the stock /broth to add a bit more depth

Postby liketocook » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I made a pumpkin/squash soup yesterday using a small onion squash, the ones the French call potimarron (chestnut pumpkin)

I didn't quite follow Felicity Cloake's recipe https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... oup-recipe but I did follow her tip of making a broth from the stuff removed from the centre and a few bits trimmed off the outside, to which I added trimmings of celery and onion from a casserole I was making, a bay leaf, a stray carrot (peeled and cut into 3), a bay leaf and a (probably unnecessary) pinch of Marigold bouillon, all simmered together for about 20 minutes in ~750 ml water then left to cool before straining

Game changer. The broth was velvety and intensely flavoured, would have made a good base for a vegetable noodle soup.

I roasted the squash wedges (skin on) with a quartered peeled onion and a couple of whole garlic cloves. I put everything except the garlic skins, in the stock with some extra water and simmered for 20 minutes, then blitzed an adjusted seasoning. I might add additional flavours when I serve the remaining 3 portions, but it doesn't need it

Sounds delicious :yum

Postby halfateabag » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:03 am

As the slow cooker went on recently due to a full bag of stock items and the sun was out on the solar panels. I had a lot of really tasty stock. A pack of French onion soup mix and some caraway and garlic dumplings added made a sooper tasty lunch. Hub asked for 2nd's so it must have been good ! I still have stock left and some sad mushrooms in the fridge so that's another lunch sorted.

Postby Meganthemog » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:33 pm

I made a big pot of cawl at the weekend. I couldn't get neck of lamb so used a pack of leg steaks from Co-op and a stew pack of veg. A chicken stock cube and a couple of potatoes produced enough to feed DD and me plus two of her elderly clients who loved it. It's the perfect comfort food for this sort of weather.

Postby Suffs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 pm

Oooh haven't had cawl since last winter .... it's gone on the list ...

I made a vat of lightly spiced creamy parsnip soup yesterday ... OH has some in his lunch flask today and I've just had a bowlful with a slice of buttered toast :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I made a pumpkin/squash soup yesterday using a small onion squash, the ones the French call potimarron (chestnut pumpkin)

Gosh, that sounds good, Sue, I must try that tip for using the stuff cleaned out of the centre - I always feel it's a shame to chuck it.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:13 pm

A vat of sweet potato, carrot and ginger soup has been made this morning for OH's lunch flasks this week.

Two onions chopped and softened in sunflower oil with two chopped celery sticks.
Two large sweet potatoes peeled and chunked along with several carrots and a large thumb-sized chunk of fresh ginger, added to the onions and softened a bit then a load of chicken and veg stock added ... simmered until soft and then zapped in the liquidiser. It tastes delicious.
It didn't really need any other seasoning as the stock was well seasoned.

Postby liketocook » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Sounds delicious suffs. :yum
It's simple lentil and bacon for us this week - finely chopped cooked bacon, ham stock from the freezer and a cube, onions. celery, carrots, spuds and red lentils. Chopped parsley added when served.

Postby nursemimi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Potato soup being made for tonight.

chopped onion and celery softened in a bit of butter
chopped carrots and potato added chicken broth from the freezer
simmered till all soft then a can of milk added at the end.

That takes care of dinner for the next 2 days as well after work.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm

We had carrot and parsley soup for lunch.
Because both the title ingredients needed using.

It was delicious.
Enough left to take to work tomorrow.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Just made LTC's cream of tomato soup - :yum
Very successful! I used less water as we tend to like our soups thicker (less chance of spills!)
Taste was great and OH pronounced :thumbsup :thumbsup
Thx LTC!

Postby liketocook » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:49 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Just made LTC's cream of tomato soup - :yum
Very successful! I used less water as we tend to like our soups thicker (less chance of spills!)
Taste was great and OH pronounced :thumbsup :thumbsup
Thx LTC!

Excellent KC2, glad you enjoyed. I think the baked beans put folk off a bit at times but they work so well. :yum I've finished my last tub in the freezer, must make some more. :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:05 pm

Me again! "Your" soup had a second outing today :yum :yum :yum
It is quickly becoming a staple! Used less water this time and more oregano and vinegar.

Postby liketocook » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:53 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Me again! "Your" soup had a second outing today :yum :yum :yum
It is quickly becoming a staple! Used less water this time and more oregano and vinegar.

I suspect Slimming World might be a bit upset if I claimed it though to be fair apart from the baked beans it's a very different dish. :lol: It's such a handy one to have as I always tend to have the makings of it to hand and it doesn't take that long to make compared to some others.
I've not made any soup for a few weeks now as I've been using up freezer stocks. I'm having some friends round on the 3rd of Jan for an informal lunch and it may well feature.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:46 pm

I cooked a chicken carcass in the slow cooker. Shredded chicken, brown rice, veg, mushrooms and herbs now becoming a kind of scotch broth. My Mum's cure for all ills!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Yum, sounds fab, Sloe, definitely a cure for all ills :newhuggy

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox