Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:16 am

Not a fan of smoked tofu

There is an extra firm silken tofu in a carton that is solid enough to put in stir fries, it keeps in a cupboard for months so it’s a good standby, but I don’t like the soft slimy stuff

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am

I love the look of that cabbage smitch :yum , great idea to start a separate tofu thread. :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 pm

Tonight OH made this: https://www.glamour.com/story/a-winter- ... el-slaters

We had the recipe in his book, Eat, but I found it by searching.

It was very tasty. The potatoes didn't really get crispy - we had smallish new potatoes - but otherwise excellent. The spicing was good.

Definitely one to do again :thumbsup
Attachments
Spicy potatoes and spinach.jpg
Spicy potatoes and spinach.jpg (238.7 KiB) Viewed 3587 times

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:50 pm

That looks delicious KC2 :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:43 am

The large GC local to my daughter's new home sells much more than plants and when we were last there, the butcher had some unsmoked pork/gammon (knuckle?) for sale at £3.99 each. I used to regularly make ham stew but not for a few years now. So yesterday I decided to cook this in my Instant Pot along with carrots, onion, a couple of bay leaves and peppercorns and a ham stock cube. Then I remembered a box of Quick Soak Dried Peas in the back of the larder (bbf date aug 2015 !!! :shock: eek) I followed the directions and added some raspberry vinegar at the end and it is really delicious ...

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:47 am

I like the look of the lentil and cabbage dish, smitch. I'm living on lentils, soft beans and finely diced (and soft) veg atm, so that would be good with steamed cauliflower, which I can mash down.
In fact, I have a pouch of puy lentils, so that's me sorted. Hub can have savoury mince.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Sounds good Patsy, you've reminded me I have a couple of ham hocks in the freezer that I had sort of forgotten about. .

Postby aero280 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Not quite a "tried", but something potentially new...

While walking back to the town centre from the hospital this morning, I passed a "Romanian Shop". It looked very similar to a "Polski Sklep", but there must be a lot of differences. Are there any Romanian specialities I could look out for?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Went on a birding trip to the Danube Delta a dozen years ago. the food was predominantly freshwater fish - carp, grass carp and zander mostly. I've certainly eaten similar in Poland. The place itself is wonderful.

Postby aero280 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 am

For my recent birthday, the family sent me a small cheese selection. One of the cheeses was Godminster Cheddar with Black Truffle. I don't normally like cheese mixed with fruit and other stuff, but I was quite taken with this one.

https://www.godminster.com/product-cate ... fle-range/

The pack I had was quite small and came with other cheeses from other sources.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 am

Had zander in Hungary, was quite nice, have also had it as sandre in France but the Hungarian was nicer, bigger and fresher fish I think

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:58 am

I was gifted a cheese selection a few months ago. One of the cheeses was Godminster organic cheddar - it was the best cheddar I've ever tasted .

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Can't help with Romanian food suggestions but I love the sound of those cheeses. :yum
The Polish shop near where I used to work sold all sorts of Eastern European foods not just Polish ones. They used to sell vac pacs of cheese & mushroom dumplings not stuffed like pierogi but with the mushroom & cheese worked through the dough that were gorgeous. They were Hungarian I think and you used them like gnocchi.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 am

I cooked Nigella's Fried Chicken Sandwich yesterday with a couple of tweaks. https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fried-chicken-sandwich Oh my word it was delicious.
I didn't add kimchi and instead of the crispy chilli oil I used chipotle chilli paste. Rather than deep frying the chicken I shallow fried it for a few minutes each side then popped it in the oven which worked well. Next time (and there will be a next time :yum ) I'll use the air fryer rather than the oven to get it super crispy. The pink pickled onions really added to the dish. Photo posted on the "what's everyone cooking thread".

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:43 pm

J cooked Hairy Bikers' Keralan fish molee.
Largely because he picked up 400g of RTC hake for 69p, and we had all the other ingredients.
It's a keeper.

Postby liketocook » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:13 pm

Oh that was a bargain WW :yum

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 pm

I made this Ottolenghi dish for brunch (the first recipe on the link) https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/02/eggs-rougaille-leek-cheese-pita-pepper-dip-grilled-pineapple-maple-lime-dressing-yotam-ottolenghi-brunch-recipes

I didn’t have any chillies so added some hot sauce to the tomato mix. I also put some spinach in as I had some to use up.

Was really nice, good to have another variation on eggs in tomato sauce

Postby liketocook » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Sound lovely smitch and I like look of the little pitas too. :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Love the look of that smitch, I’ve bookmarked it, thanks

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:46 pm

i made the lentil and walnut burgers last night.
they were good but i would make a few changes -
as i only had red lentils with me i made it with those rather than the green/brown ones that i meant to use - which would give more texture rather than the soup-ey mush that the red ones made.
use less water and cook the lentils with a lid on - why add more steam to the room and have an extractor on at a higher rate? (that is why the lentils were a bit wet - i used a lid).
use a mushroom stock cube and a pinch of kelp powder instead of the teaspoon of salt.
put in more walnuts (although to be fair i guessed the cup equivalent measurement), possibly less ground up, also for a bit more texture.
probably wholemeal breadcrumbs would be better than the white ones i used, too.

as half of the mix is in the freezer i'll add in some of the changes for when we have have them again.
they were deemed a success by my partner even though they were a bit sloppy.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox