Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 14, 2021 9:52 am

Any idea what happens to the caffeine in coffee when you bake it in a cake?

Not certain but reasonably sure it remains as caffeine. I can't quite remember the details, but as chemistry undergraduates in the 70s we extracted caffeine from tea. It involved quite a bit of heating up iirc, but remained intact.

According to Wikipedia coffee is roasted at 200-250°C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_roasting

Given that this is at least as high as cake baking temperatures, and roasted coffee beans contain caffeine, I guess coffee cakes would too, albeit at a proportionately low concentration.

ETA There is a sentence in that link referring to heating caffeine - stable at 200°C, totally decomposed at 285°C.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 pm

It’s the spicing of the Japanese curry that I dislike - it has become quite distinctive over the last 120 years, and the brownish ketchup like sauce (okonomiyaki sauce?) they put on the tables at Japanese diners in London has the same vibe

Postby WolfGirl » Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Blimey Sue! You’ve been eating Japanese curry for a long time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 2:13 pm

WolfGirl wrote:Blimey Sue! You’ve been eating Japanese curry for a long time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 20, 2021 1:18 am

That’s very like one I make, though I don’t use cream, mine is based on Jane Grigson’s in Charcuterie & French Pork Cookery

Felicity and, especially, Wilf her terrier seemed to like the one I made for cook book club when we read One More Croissant for the Road and they came to talk to us

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 20, 2021 9:05 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 20, 2021 10:52 am

The pate looks fairly traditional. I think the cream does make it slightly more luxurious but isn't a key ingredient.

I read the vegan/veggie article earlier and as one who loves creamy/cheesy dishes feel sad that they are going out of vogue. It must be great fun for chefs to 'play' with new vegan ideas and there have been some great ones. It makes sense to offer dishes to suit all non-meat/fish eaters in one swoop. I suspect I would too. I do feel though that many inventive vegan dishes seem to rely on spices and tastes we often associate more with meat cookery. As one who often looks at fish or cheesy dishes on a menu first I do see how sad it would be to find fewer of those sort of dishes on offer. It would excite me to create them though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 am

Reading the recipe again FC uses egg - I don’t use that either, I suspect the egg and cream cancel out a bit

I don’t find egg or flour necessary to hold it together, the liver does that

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 20, 2021 11:33 am

I didn't notice the egg :o. Can't see flour in her recipe but agree it shouldn't need any.

Postby scullion » Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am

i'm pleased that there is a greater non meat/fish choice on menus but the other 'problem' with the increase in the vegan option only, for both vegetarians and vegans, at mainstream restaurants is that the protein content isn't always considered.
a jackfruit burger is all well and good (and can be tasty) but not exactly big on protein. i realise that we need less protein than most people get in 'developed' countries but a little more thought on that front would be good - and i like cheese.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 20, 2021 11:59 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I didn't notice the egg :o. Can't see flour in her recipe but agree it shouldn't need any.

No she doesn’t mention flour, but older recipes, including some of Grigson’s use it instead of egg

Grigson is a bit obsessed with adding spoonfuls of flour just in case

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 20, 2021 2:22 pm

I used to make a calves liver paté from one of those Cordon Bleu recipe cards - I made it for our wedding which tells you how old it was. It had a sort of Bechamel sauce binding it together. It was absolutely excellent but then calves liver got very expensive so I stopped making it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Veggie versus Vegan.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... and-vegans

AhHa, so that does indeed explain why the mashed potatoes were labelled "plant-based" that someone mentioned the other day :lol:

I can't help feeling that for the most part it's laziness by the restauranteurs - if there are eg 6 main courses on offer, I really don't see why they shouldn't offer one each of vegan and vegetarian. There would still be four meat/fish options.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Every dish that goes on a restaurant menu means extra prep, extra cost, more time. Vegetarian food can often be re-designed to be vegan, but not always. I don´t think it´s on the part of the restauranteurs; after all, Vegans only represent 2.25% of the population at the moment, so why should restaurants have to cater for a small minority?
I think there might also be an element of aggressive, vocal protest here. Reminds me a bit of CAMRA in the 70s; Peter Tatchell, PETA, etc.

Postby Amyw » Thu May 20, 2021 4:36 pm

I think it’s between 4 and 5 percent of the UK that are vegan , plus when you take into account vegetarians , where the vegan option would be another meal option for them , people with dairy intolerances where the vegan option might be the most suitable and omnivores who might choose the vegan option for a number of reasons , it’s definitely an option I think would be worth exploring .

I’m an omnivore but quite often go for the vegetarian option when eating out .

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 20, 2021 5:11 pm

I think we have to get away from the idea that the “V option” is only to be eaten by those who eat nothing else, it’s a very European idea which has spread of course to the Americas and places like Australia and New Zealand

There’s no reason why someone who will eat fish on Friday and a T-Bone steak on Saturday can’t enjoy a chickpea curry on Wednesday or noodles with chilli and tofu on Tuesday or aubergine parmigiana or even mac & cheese
It’s going to take a while to get there though of course there are palaces where this does seem the norm

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:11 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I think we have to get away from the idea that the “V option” is only to be eaten by those who eat nothing else

Yes - we definitely eat a lot more "V" food than meat or fish

Postby Amyw » Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes I think a lot of people are more “flexitarian” now and eating a lot more meat free meals . I think yes there’s still a certain segment that think a meal has to revolve around a hunk of meat , but I think the fact we eat a wider range of ethnic foods help as well

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 20, 2021 8:27 pm

I think it’s between 4 and 5 percent of the UK that are vegan

I don´t know whether that´s true or not, Amy - I just got my figure off Google so it may be wrong!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox