Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby aero280 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:49 pm

You Tube and DIY. Use the old door as a template for drilling the holes. I would do it with some paper to mark the edges of the door and the hole positions. Then stick that to the new dorr and drill where the holes are marked.

Always mark the paper "top", "bottom", etc. The paper can always be dropped and blown about, or just put aside for a moment, and then you can't remember which way it was, and have to go back and check!

And never use "up" and "down". If you turn "up" upsidedown, it reads "dn", which will cause you problems! :o

Postby jeral » Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Re finding doors, Google is your friend if you type in "buy shaker cupboard doors".

Have your desired measurements to hand.

Postby Renee » Mon May 17, 2021 10:18 am

Google is my very best friend! :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Not sure I'm on the correct forum but what makes your blood boil and also makes you feel you might be an old fogey?

One of my FB groups (one of the Chiltern villages we're looking to move to) has this post: "Can anyone recommend somewhere local that pierces baby's ears)? :o :o :o

Postby aero280 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 pm

I did a bit of a double take yesterday. On the way to see the grandchildren, we drove along the M25. Just as you go between Denham and Gerrards Cross, there's a roadside bill board saying

"Outdoor kitchens from only £5450".

It's a different world in the Chilterns...

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 1:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 17, 2021 2:06 pm

I suspect we're all just old fogeys without a clue about modern life or the cost of it! Have you seen some of those outdoor kitchens? Wow.

As for the baby ears. When I was young, it was only the done thing for southern Europeans and Romanies. I think there were mutterings about Catholics (in this then largely Protestant country). By the time DD was in junior school it was fashionable for her age group to have them and then it crept down to babies - so that anything goes these days, just as it does for many other things. It just depends on your taste and doesn't seem to be confined to 'class' except perhaps that the middle classes are often more reserved. Personally, apart from not really liking jewellery on young children, I would worry about infection and accidents to the ear.

Postby aero280 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:48 pm

My kitchen is almost outdoor. I just open the door. :D

Postby Suffs » Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Ma once got very angry in a hair salon when a woman brought a toddler in to have her ears pierced. I think the salon owner persuaded the mother to come back another time. Ma didn't approve of such things as pierced ears. I didn't have mine done until I was 26 and a mother of two. She was disappointed in me. I said that the Queen has pierced ears ... Ma said, 'She has to ... it's part of the job.' ......... so there you go, no need for me to have it done ... I'm not the Queen. :lol:

Apparently if God had wanted me to have holes in my ears he'd have put them there ... I pointed out that if he'd wanted Ma to have curly hair she wouldn't keep having to have it permed ... I was ignored. :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

I still shudder a bit when I see little girls with pierced ears. I think having them pierced when you're in your teens is a bit of a right of passage but unless it's really a cultural thing I think wee ones with pierced ears is in the worst possible taste.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 pm

When I had my ears pierced in around 1980 it had just become more fashionable and there were some horror stories about piercings done with staple guns by untrained jewellery store staff with no grasp of hygiene

So I had mine done by a qualified nurse in Selfridges, I still have them, and she positioned them perfectly so my earrings look good

The thing is, she had a big sign up saying she didn’t do it for under 16s, but in fact she said that was to help her turn away school children coming in without parental approval, she happily did for children brought in by parents (preferably both) knowing it would be done by an aunt less safely if she didn’t.
She’d probably done all the Lebanese kids from Edgware Road

In many cultures baby’s ears are pierced routinely, and the belief is it protects eyesight, I also think it might be seen as a sign you couldn’t afford the gold if you didn’t do it

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 3:53 pm

In my mother’s world pierced ears were right up there with painted toenails and ankle bracelets. I had my ears done I Debenhams when I was 26. She had hers done the next week . . .

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:In my mother’s world pierced ears were right up there with painted toenails and ankle bracelets. I had my ears done I Debenhams when I was 26. She had hers done the next week . . .

... and white tights :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 pm

I'm finding this quite interesting. There is surprisingly little online but it does seem that in some cultures/societies small children had piercings to denote the sex of the child and to show that the family had gold and for other reasons as Sue has said. Elsewhere, it seems to be more of a rite of passage - a marriage gift or sign of a man's trade or profession. There are guidelines in the Jewish faith. I see in this piece that once clip-on earrings became fashionable, pierced ears were considered very low class.
https://www.body-piercing.com/blog/ear- ... evolution/
I can't help thinking that the timings suggest that the Puritans in northern Europe were involved. That seems to be the base of many of the taboos we were brought up with (i.e. 'nice people don't do that') and it does seem that those of us from that culture base were all brought up with mothers of the same opinions on really taboo things.

I was kinder than PP's mother. DD whinged regularly from the age of 7 about having hers done and was told she could have them done at 16. By 14 I was dying to have mine done but allowed her to have them for her 14th birthday before having mine very soon afterwards! She was the last in her school class to have them done.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon May 17, 2021 10:23 pm

I think I was 12 when I had mine done.

I had requested it for my birthday. I got home from school one day and Mum took me to an independent jeweller's in town.
That was where most of my friends were done too.

The lady who did my piercing was about 60 and very elegant
I think she was called Mrs Rouse.
She was well known and trusted to do a tidy job.

Postby Suffs » Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am

DD had hers done the summer before going up to High School ... we chose a very reputable place but shortly afterwards she went down with Glandular Fever ... it could've been a coincidence ... but somehow I doubt it. :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm

When I had glandular fever it took a long time to go from mild tiredness (which I only realised was part of it afterwards) to the full blown thing. She could have caught it some time before that!

Postby Suffs » Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm

No the timing was exactly like that ... she had her ears pierced at the start of the summer school holiday... we then went to France for a fortnight during which time she became more and more moody miserable and lethargic ... I put it down to almost permanent PMT (she hit adolescence early) and continued in moody teenager/headachey mode until the first day of her first term when she fainted at the bus stop ... her friends brought her home, I called the GP ... bloods and swabs were taken and ... Glandular Fever was diagnosed ......she didn't start her new school until the January, but wasn't really well ... and eventually many months later a tentative diagnosis of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome... nothing to do really but sit it out and cope with education and life as best she could ... school was pretty laid back about it and tried not to stress her ... but really it screwed her up ... she wasn't herself until she was into her 20s, and didn't go to Uni until she was in her early 30s ... she had a grim teenage/twenties poor lass.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 18, 2021 5:54 pm

That is sad. Poor girl.

Postby Rainbow » Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 am

Suffs wrote:DD had hers done the summer before going up to High School ... we chose a very reputable place but shortly afterwards she went down with Glandular Fever ... it could've been a coincidence ... but somehow I doubt it. :roll:

That's a sad story, Suffs, but I'm not sure how she'd catch it from ear piercing.
It's generally transferred via saliva - hence known as the 'kissing disease' but also passed on by coughing etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox