Register

Ainsley's BBQ Bible

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ainsley's BBQ Bible

Postby Binky » Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Fellow Refugee posters, you are a bad influence on me I'll have you know.

Seeing as people highly recommended this book, I have bought it and await a dry day so that OH can create a delicious outdoor meal for us.

My question is: what are your favourite recipes and recommendations?

(We don't do burgers, sausages, or pork) :D

Re: Ainsley's BBQ Bible

Postby liketocook » Sat May 15, 2021 2:04 pm

The puy lentil, red onion and feta salad is the one I make most from this book.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 15, 2021 3:33 pm

I've got this book on the shelf and haven't looked at it since I bought it. I think it needs a dust off and a good look through after all the bigging up it's had. There will be a sunny day sometime......I hope :lol: .

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat May 15, 2021 5:26 pm

I make the lentil and feta salad a lot too.
However, after a flood, we gave most books away, but i have missed that one.
You have got me thinking now, too!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 pm

I have lent mine to my son in anticipation of my birthday party so can’t help at the moment. Sorry.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm

My experience of Ainsley’s recipes are that they work as given, they are properly tested, so if you like the look of something, go for it

The salad sides are great, the portion sizes are quite small but I think he’s assuming you will offer several for a group to help themselves. I specially like the rice noodle doodle salad and the spicy coleslaw

I’ve had the book ever since it came out and I’ve got to the stage where I make the marinades from memory and I’ve no idea which recipe or combination of recipes I’m using

Postby liketocook » Sat May 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:My experience of Ainsley’s recipes are that they work as given, they are properly tested, so if you like the look of something, go for it

The salad sides are great, the portion sizes are quite small but I think he’s assuming you will offer several for a group to help themselves. I specially like the rice noodle doodle salad and the spicy coleslaw

I’ve had the book ever since it came out and I’ve got to the stage where I make the marinades from memory and I’ve no idea which recipe or combination of recipes I’m using

Agree with all the above Sue and would second go for it something appeals.
The lemon spatchcock poussin is very good though I've always used a couple of small chickens rather than the poussins.

Postby halfateabag » Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 pm

On BBQ's...... We are BBQing for a couple on Friday evening. He is a large meat eater and does not do any salads/dressings etc. It is a very mixed sausage BBQ - I have a large selection of them. Thought I'd light my oven and do some potato wedges and a large traybake - maybe 2 different ones of veg. Maybe a Med veg roast and maybe a root roast. He doesn't do vinegar of any sort so maybe we can decant ours and drizzle with balsamic/fig dressing for the Med veg. and think of another for the root roast.

Liked Nigellas recipe for coffee Ice Cream in a brioche roll on TV tonight.......

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 18, 2021 8:20 am

OK, I've gone and done it. And bought a copy.

Ainsley's recipes work.
Not from his bbq bible, but from his excellent express book: cheeky chicken tikka.
It's so simple, but great. In fact, I'm off to family in Yorkshire in a couple of weeks.
I'll make it then.

https://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/61 ... masala.htm

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 am

Oh Gil you've reminded me I have his "Meals in minutes" book. I've not used it in years and tbh I sort of forgot I had it. Time to resurrect some old favourites from it. I used it a lot when the kids were in their teens. :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Ditto, ltc.
I've not used his book for yonks. But it's got some gems in there.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 18, 2021 12:26 pm

I quite like the look of the Cheeky Chicken Tikka Masala as it doesn't contain the spices I don't like. Does it really mean a whole root of ginger though??

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 1:11 pm

That tikka chicken is interesting as it doesn't contain yoghurt in the marinade, which I find works better than not having it in there.

If I have that marinade on the go, I also do a breast taken off whole (fillet removed) then cook and cut into medallions for sandwiches.

Re ginger, FWIW I go by rule of thumb, literally, in dishes for four people. Unpeeled measure so less once peeled. If not juicy fresh, then more.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 pm

I suspect the quantity has been missed on the web page as IMHO a whole root would overwhelm and I like a good whack of ginger. I'd second jeral's thumb sized piece.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 pm

here we go, EM
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QBA ... la&f=false

A more direct link to the recipe.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

1 inch not one root, makes sense

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Yes, and chefs always have juicy fresh (green?) ginger that can be scraped with a teaspoon. I wish. I could count on one hand the times I've managed to buy ginger still with juice - it's one of those disproportionately deliriously happy moments in life.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 18, 2021 3:56 pm

Just to make you insanely jealous, Jeral...
Ginger grows wonderfully in my kitchen garden. It´s just beginning to sprout leaves again after the dry season.
When it´s ready to harvest ( the leaves turn yellow), it´s so tender, you can actually scrape off the skin with your fingers!

Yes to the 1" chunk of ginger. I usually use about that much for a tikka masala, or anything else which needs ginger.
Use too much and the flavour is overpowering.

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 5:47 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Just to make you insanely jealous, Jeral... [clip]...

Meanie.
But, Q: Does anyone wonder if this new age of "eating virtually" actually gives us enhanced "senses" of remembering foodie things or even "remembering" unsampled envisioned things? I'm happily envisioning tasting fresh ginger...

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Thank you Gill. That sounds more like it! I would have used common sense rather than blindly following but know I sometimes use lesser amounts of spices than some people so thought I'd ask.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox