Register

A birthday party!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: A birthday party!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 14, 2021 4:36 am

and it's so much easier (lazier?) saying "veggie" than trying to explain to someone who probably isn't interested

Easier it certainly is - but it has nothing at all to do with laziness.Are you suggesting it´s "lazy" not to eat meat?
At school, we used to get the most hideous slabs of gristly, fat-slathered, overcooked "meat" which simply made my stomach turn. I refused point blank to eat it, and since we only ate chicken once a week (on Sundays) at home, I lived on a basically vegetarian diet, which, as time went on, I preferred.
Lazy were the people who would serve me a cheese sandwich with a slice of ham in it, or a salad sprinkled with bacon bits. " Well ham´s not meat, is it?" That´s lazy, for me. I´d love to have seen those people eating artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, broccoli, snap peas or colocassia root.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 14, 2021 7:35 am

karadekoolaid wrote:
and it's so much easier (lazier?) saying "veggie" than trying to explain to someone who probably isn't interested

Easier it certainly is - but it has nothing at all to do with laziness.Are you suggesting it´s "lazy" not to eat meat?

I'm not saying that at all - I'm really not sure why you would think so. I'm saying that it's such a faff having to explain to someone who probably doesn't want to know (eg bored waiting-on staff) and possibly also doesn't care, that it's just not worth the effort of trying to make them understand so it's expedient to take the route of least resistance.

Postby Kacey » Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 am

We're both veggie in this house but these days for buffet purposes etc, we always say vegan as OH absolutely cannot bear eggs or dairy milk. so quiches, souffles, pannacotta's etc are a big no-no.

In the days when you got a meal included when flying, we very rarely both got a meal, as nearly always, someone would have snaffled a veggie option when they hadn't requested one.

Aegean Airlines still do inflght meals and no-one ever steals our vegan option.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 am

More on tofu from Otollenghi. Makes me want to try it.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ee-caramel

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 22, 2021 4:37 pm

Tofu and cashew nit sounds like a good combination, though slightly puzzled as to why he uses olive oil in a sambal, a more neutral oil woul seem both better and cheaper to my taste

Postby scullion » Sat May 22, 2021 4:53 pm

light olive oil is pretty neutral.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 22, 2021 8:53 pm

Well his sambal is his own version, evidently. All the recipes I´ve got ( which include some pretty fiery, original Indonesian versions) use a neutral vegetable oil, palm sugar instead of maple syrup and no tomato paste. Traditionally, of course, the sambal is made in a pestle and mortar. I´ve got no idea how many hours it would take to make like that :shock:
But Ottolenghi makes very tasty stuff, even if his recipes are a little complex, so why not? looks good to me; might be the only way I could eat tofu.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 22, 2021 10:46 pm

While light olive oil smells much stronger in cooking than it tastes, I really think I’d be able to detect it in the finished dish, and I think I’d rather not

This maybe a local phenomenon but decent palm sugar is one of the things that mysteriously vanished in lockdown round here, I’m sure I’ll be able to get it if I go to the big pan-Asian supermarket. I’ve been looking through Ching-He Huang’s Asian Green and she uses golden syrup quite a lot, presumably as a cheap and cheerful substitute for palm sugar

Postby Amyw » Sun May 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Those recipes look delicious and would quite happily eat all of them . The dessert would be fantastic for vegans wouldn’t it

Postby scullion » Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm

i use maple syrup as a substitute for palm sugar. golden syrup just doesn't have the flavour.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 23, 2021 3:55 pm

I usually use palm sugar, but I was just musing on why Ching used golden syrup in savoury dishes at all, unless there’s another reason? I can’t think of an obvious one

I don’t usually have maple syrup in the house

Postby scullion » Sun May 23, 2021 4:58 pm

i do - a very useful ingredient.
and palm sugar is less easy for me to get.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 24, 2021 7:59 am

I have it for emergency pancakes. :oops:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:43 pm

How are your plans going, PP?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:11 am

Ha! Funny you should ask KC2. I received a text whilst I was out lunching today from DS1 who is hosting. He is putting in the Ocado order this weekend and would appreciate it if I didn’t interfere other than in the payment department. :lol:

He’s a great cook and organiser and his lovely partner J is the perfect foil 8-) The others say he’s a Mini-Me in the cooking department :lol: Looking back it’s hard to remember how much we entertained when they were growing up but we really did. The thought of the work makes me come over all unnecessary these days. :lol:

I will make a Blueberry Crumble Cake as per usual. A Sue Lawrence recipe I’ve been making for over twenty years. It’s fab.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Ha! Funny you should ask KC2. I received a text whilst I was out lunching today from DS1 who is hosting. He is putting in the Ocado order this weekend and would appreciate it if I didn’t interfere other than in the payment department. :lol:

He’s a great cook and organiser and his lovely partner J is the perfect foil 8-) The others say he’s a Mini-Me in the cooking department :lol: Looking back it’s hard to remember how much we entertained when they were growing up but we really did. The thought of the work makes me come over all unnecessary these days. :lol:

I will make a Blueberry Crumble Cake as per usual. A Sue Lawrence recipe I’ve been making for over twenty years. It’s fab.

Cheers PP, just Googled and found this recipe....it will appear chez moi at some time, we both like blueberries (and cake!) :thumbsup .

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Ooooh, me too, looks fab! I often have frozen blueberries so will definitely try it next time I do!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:55 pm

PP, I was going to make your Blueberry Crumble Cake but I'm having a bif of trouble getting polenta, any idea if it could be substituted with semolina please?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Am not a baker slim. Have only ever made it with polenta. Someone else here will know, hopefully.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Am not a baker slim. Have only ever made it with polenta. Someone else here will know, hopefully.

Cheers PP.
Hopefully someone will know :crossed

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox