Register

A birthday party!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: A birthday party!

Postby Rainbow » Mon May 10, 2021 1:03 am

Silken tofu has a softer texture - easier to mash as in scrambled tofu. Some regular tofu is quite hard, (I find different brands vary quite a lot) but easier to slice for frying up.
But I have used regular tofu where a recipe says silken, if that's what I've got in stock!! Just have to chop it finely. But if you're buying it specifically for that recipe then I'd get the silken type, if you can.
It looks like a nice recipe :)

Postby jeral » Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 pm

For your linked recipe (stuffed peppers), I reckon the smooth silken tofu would be better if you can get it because the non-silken can taste grainy which would be wrong for this.

If you're interested, there's a link explaining types of tofu below, although as said before it does vary by brand in both texture and firmness. (My vegan friends are quite particular about their preferred ones, but of course only after comparing them.)

https://www.seriouseats.com/shopping-co ... tofu-types

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 12, 2021 4:00 am

LOTS of advice, here, PP!!
What´s more, I´m not going to suggest anything; it´s YOUR birthday, so you choose what YOU want :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer
Obviously you want everyone to be happy but, to be honest, I´d just make sure there´s something for everyone. If there are some with special requirements, by all means make something for them ( which the omnivores will probably gobble up too), but don´t go mad about it. It´s your day, not theirs!

Postby scullion » Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Obviously you want everyone to be happy but, to be honest, I´d just make sure there´s something for everyone. If there are some with special requirements, by all means make something for them ( which the omnivores will probably gobble up too)

so true. we have been to many celebrations where we have been told that there was a vegetarian option(s) on the buffet to find none of it left by the time we got there.
the guests at one wedding, that had a hog roast, had stripped the non meat options from the table before going for a bit of the meat. i think that four of us shared the tiny bit of cheese that was left from a large cheese board - and the garnish.
at my daughter's wedding they had a set meal (gorgeous, vegetarian, middle eastern food) where the onus was put on the meat eaters to say if they needed that option.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm

I have got fancy cocktail flags!!!! The teacher in me will resurface. Trust me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Yes, we've found that in the past, when we used to have "parties" :lol: (those were the days!) - the omnivores inevitably hoover up the veggie options - the only way round it seems to be to provide more veggie dishes, no matter how many actual veggie guests you're expecting :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 pm

I've been known to just do veggie catering - clearly everyone likes it! Of course, then there are the vegans ... maybe just do vegan - why not? 8-).
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rainbow » Thu May 13, 2021 1:02 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Yes, we've found that in the past, when we used to have "parties" :lol: (those were the days!) - the omnivores inevitably hoover up the veggie options - the only way round it seems to be to provide more veggie dishes, no matter how many actual veggie guests you're expecting :lol:

We've found that too :lol:
You really do have to get to the food early to ensure getting anything veggie!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 13, 2021 2:12 am

It´s sort aof quaintly amusing, isn´t it? Vegetarians (and definitely vegans) regularly get taunted because they don´t eat meat; and yet those who swear by the flesh are quite happy to clear up the veggie options first... :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Rainbow » Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 am

karadekoolaid wrote:It´s sort aof quaintly amusing, isn´t it? Vegetarians (and definitely vegans) regularly get taunted because they don´t eat meat; and yet those who swear by the flesh are quite happy to clear up the veggie options first... :gonzo :gonzo

Maybe amusing in one way but also very annoying, when omnivores scoff all the veggie food and vegetarians go hungry :(

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 am

Mind you, I've done barbeques with special dishes for special requests, only to find I had to eat them because the 'vegetarians' ate the meat. :roll:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Mind you, I've done barbeques with special dishes for special requests, only to find I had to eat them because the 'vegetarians' ate the meat. :roll:

Yes, I've come across vegetarians who couldn't resist a bacon sarnie :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm

The belief that vegetarians eat chicken still surfaces from time to time

I worked as part of a team of 20 of whom half were actually vegetarian, so we used to put in our requests for a premium buffet at least 50% veg, and the catering would give us a fantastic veggie buffet with some fishy stuff and quite a small amount of meat. Scrumptious, but predictably one of my colleagues moaned that it wasn’t 50/50 “because I don’t eat vegetables”
Predictably, chips were the exception :mrgreen:

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm

A much-missed friend used to describe her eldest as a 'Pizzatarian' because he was veggie but didn't eat vegetables. :D

Postby Pampy » Thu May 13, 2021 3:04 pm

I eat poultry and fish/seafood but no red meat or pork. I often find that it's just easier to say I am vegetarian when in a restaurant but often get asked if I eat sausages!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Most people on this board can surely remember that it was not uncommon, in the days when vegetarianism started to become more popular, for pescatarians to call themselves veggie as a shorthand for 'don't eat meat'.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 pm

vegetarians go hungry

That´s me, basically. Been there, done that, and the worst thing is, one glass of wine and you´re already tipsy because there´s no food. Yes, I do eat fish occasionally, but my diet is 95% veggie.

Postby Pampy » Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Most people on this board can surely remember that it was not uncommon, in the days when vegetarianism started to become more popular, for pescatarians to call themselves veggie as a shorthand for 'don't eat meat'.

Probably because the term "pescatarian" hadn't been coined then - or certainly wasn't in common parlance - and it's so much easier (lazier?) saying "veggie" than trying to explain to someone who probably isn't interested!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 am

I’ve mentioned before one of our senior managers who was strictly Moslem and halal, so was vegetarian at work for simplicity

For some reason it used to confuse people that if we went to the excellent halal curry restaurant she’d order us a fantastic array of meat dishes to share

Postby Rainbow » Fri May 14, 2021 1:52 am

karadekoolaid wrote:
vegetarians go hungry

That´s me, basically. Been there, done that, and the worst thing is, one glass of wine and you´re already tipsy because there´s no food. Yes, I do eat fish occasionally, but my diet is 95% veggie.

I'm 100% veggie and well remember the glass of wine on an empty stomach problem!!
Mind you, I get tipsy very fast anyway, even with food :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox