Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Suffs » Tue May 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Yes, Three Cornered Leek rampaging through my garden (front and back) this spring. I'm using it in cooking as much as I can (very good with pasta) but flamin 'eck ... there's only so much I can use ...

Postby Pampy » Tue May 11, 2021 1:50 pm

I planted some wild garlic bulbs several years ago and they've never really done anything until this year - there's enough to pick without worrying about losing it all. I've used it chopped with steamed new potatoes, butter and sea salt and am wondering if I could dry it for use throughout the year.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 11, 2021 1:56 pm

I have a pot of dried wild garlic (bought) so it's doable in principle.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Thanks, Herbi - I'll give it a go.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm

I used to frequently raid a friend's garden that was awash with ransoms & I have open-frozen the leaves whole Pampy & bagged them - when you come to use them you just crush them up in your hand - I also make a butter with them to freeze in small useable portions, but my favourite is pesto which freezes well too - all nice to have when the ransoms are a distant memory - wild garlic oil has been on my hit-list too but not got round to it yet.

You were very brave to plant them in your garden :o

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 11, 2021 7:20 pm

I bought and planted English bluebells at the bottom of my back garden, well away from the Spanish ones that had already taken up residence... I forgot they were there when I planted some wallflowers last year : what footie colours are these.... WBA ?
footballcolours1.jpg
footballcolours1.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Aston Villa! Or West Ham - claret & blue, the ones David Cameron famously confused

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm

Yes Sue .... either of them ;) :lol: 8-)

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 16, 2021 9:57 am

The village of Urchfont where I live has a manor. Over the years it has been used for various functions but it is now being 'lived' in again and is, this year in the National Garden Scheme. Here is the link...https://ngs.org.uk/view-garden/42373

EM close enough for you ????? Or anyone else who fancies a day out ????

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 16, 2021 11:41 am

Thanks for the reminder that NGS will happen this year at least in part

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 pm

Gosh, I remember the Manor when it was an educational establishment for interesting classes. Might be nice for a NGS visit. I go to the Potato Yard occasionally, various friends like it there.

Postby Renee » Mon May 17, 2021 10:22 am

Your bluebells are so pretty Pat! I discovered some in my garden yesterday which have been completely hidden by a shrub that I planted. I will try to remember to move them after they have finished flowering.

Postby halfateabag » Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm

One of my favourite beds in my garden has 'normal' blue bells, lilac and white bells, they look amazing at this time of year.

Today we found an excuse to visit a friends garden, they have the most amazing Wisteria, it is all flowers ATM and has the most amazing perfume..... very envious. I gifted them some Rose Campion that have spring up between our patio slabs and add so much bright colour later in the year.

The yellow camellia is nearly out and adds such a splash of colour just now. The California lilac in the front bed is set just back from the broom (Red) and again they look great with each other. Everything else is going great guns and filling out the bed so much more this year. The laburnum is not far behind.

Postby Renee » Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am

In my previous home there were blue, white and lilac bluebell. I still love the blue ones though!

Your garden must look beautiful at this time of the year as does my rockery.

Postby Wic » Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 pm

I’m feeling a bit beleaguered. I went down to the greenhouse this morning to find that a snail,(which has now paid the ultimate price), had eaten 2 ½ of my baby dahlias. Then I went to look at the raised beds and found slugs had had one of the courgettes. Not only that, in the nearby border, rabbits have grazed all 9 Oriental Poppies down to within an inch of the ground. I detest rabbits!

On the bright side, the tomatoes are doing really well.

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Struth! Is it all the recent rain? Machine gun on the turret methinks...

I grew dahlia's outside once. Lovely they were. Thought I'd cut a couple for a vase and found they were full of earwigs :o That was just after I'd seen that film about a physchotic guy (Laurence Harvey) putting one in his wife's ear, which had babies and was eating her brain :mrgreen:

Postby Wic » Tue May 18, 2021 2:59 pm

Somehow slugs and snails I can cope with, whatever they do, but rabbits ...
There’s little you can do without all sorts of wire netting etc etc and that makes life too difficult when you need to weed or hoe, and looks awful.

And rabbits can’t read. This means that the RHS list of plants they don’t like is a bit Pie in the Sky. They will try anything. If they don’t like it they will just bite bits off and leave them on the ground. Like all the flowers from the lavender, for example.

You can shoot them, you can trap them and release them somewhere else, but they are self perpetuating and it’s not worth the trouble!

I could probably write a book on the subject, so I'd better come out of rant mode.

Postby Wic » Tue May 18, 2021 3:00 pm

And I think I might have nightmares about earwigs now, Jeral!

Postby jeral » Tue May 18, 2021 3:28 pm

I've read about tricks like Vasilene on stems to stop things crawling up, upturned plastic cups or plates that slugs can't get past, but rabbits - no idea. Tin foil put "somewhere"?

Postby Suffs » Tue May 18, 2021 3:49 pm

Rabbits? There's are two sure fire cures ...
This is one

Rabbits!.jpg
Rabbits!.jpg (68.73 KiB) Viewed 3012 times

The other is to get your own Mr MacGregor and then bake a pie ...

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff