Register

Recommendation for S E London

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Recommendation for S E London

Postby Meganthemog » Wed May 05, 2021 10:25 am

I want to send a gift voucher to a young couple who have recently got married. They live in Penge and I'd like to find a good restaurant somewhere not too far away. I think probably modern European as I'm not sure of their likes/dislikes. Does anyone have a recommendation - maybe Beckenham, Bromley, Streatham, Crystal Palace. Not fine dining but good food. Not looking for cheap just not too stuffy! I'll be sending a gift voucher for £100 + TIA

Re: Recommendation for S E London

Postby ZeroCook » Wed May 05, 2021 4:47 pm

I'd get a gift voucher for a good/interesting/noteworthy central London restaurant. Loads of good deals around. Most people in the Greater London area would jump at a swanky meal out. The trip into town is part of the fun :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 05, 2021 6:14 pm

I'd wait a bit - it's not guaranteed what will reopen, and what form places will be in when they do reopen, at the moment everything still feels as if it is up in the air

I don't go sarf except to Tate Modern ;) but Eater London is probably the best place to look for properly up to date information anywhere in London at the moment

https://london.eater.com/

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Just asked a friend . My wife & eldest went to one south of the river last year. Can´t remember the name, so I´ll have to wait until Colin lets me know...

Postby WolfGirl » Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 pm

I used to know loads in Beckenham/Bromley but haven’t lived there for 18 years now so can’t help there.

In more recent times DD and DS have both lived in Crystal Palace/Anerley/Penge areas and we would often eat out whilst visiting. Two in Crystal Palace stand out, Joanna’s on Westow Hill was always where we went for a celebration, food and service was always very good.
The other place was called something like Crystal Palace Market, this is a more modern place with a buzzy vibe. Food was very good. I’ve been there a couple of times but most recent was probably two years ago as both kids have moved away now.

Herbi might be able to help with the name of the second restaurant, and maybe other suggestions as she is quite local.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 am

Found it. It ´s called Llewelyn´s, in Herne Hill. Here´s the link:
https://llewelyns-restaurant.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Thu May 06, 2021 3:01 pm

I like the look of those menus KK :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 06, 2021 4:27 pm

That looks good, though I wonder why the monkfish is more than twice the price of any other main? I nearly bought some monkfish on Friday, it's not that expensive

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm

I thought the same, Sue, and then I looked a bit closer and it says "for two".
And then I wondered " why can´t they do a single portion"? Must be the size or the availability.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I thought the same, Sue, and then I looked a bit closer and it says "for two".
And then I wondered " why can´t they do a single portion"? Must be the size or the availability.

Ah, I looked for "for two" and couldn't see it
Presumably they cook it as what is sometimes called a monkfish gigot, because it is the same shape as a leg of lamb - both fillets on the bone, it does cook well roasted like that, I'd like half of that, as long as the tarragon sauce is served in a jug to add yourself as I can't have it (allergic)

Postby miss mouse » Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

Stokey Sue wrote: as long as the tarragon sauce is served in a jug to add yourself

In the cookery progs (Great British Menu, Masterchef etc) the servers seem to pour the sauce/ gravy on from the individual jugs, why? Can't the diner decide for himself? otherwise what is the point of the jug?

Postby scullion » Fri May 07, 2021 11:05 am

maybe the diner had already been asked if they wanted it poured on and that part was edited out?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote: as long as the tarragon sauce is served in a jug to add yourself

In the cookery progs (Great British Menu, Masterchef etc) the servers seem to pour the sauce/ gravy on from the individual jugs, why? Can't the diner decide for himself? otherwise what is the point of the jug?

I think the point is that the food doesn’t sit in the sauce and get soggy, or make a mess of the plate as it is brought to table

But also a bit of theatre, especially on GB Menu

I have asked waiters not to pour sauces and they seem quite used to this

Postby mistakened » Fri May 07, 2021 12:38 pm

I have looked at Llewellyn's menu, £3. 50 for Bread and Butter, you must be joking.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 07, 2021 1:08 pm

mistakened wrote:I have looked at Llewellyn's menu, £3. 50 for Bread and Butter, you must be joking.

Moira

That’s about the going rate in London, the mains and drinks look relatively reasonable, interestingly neither of the fairly similar places near me list b&b, I think these days a soup that needs it comes with bread and most people don’t want it with a main that comes with all the accompaniment

Perilla, a small plates restaurant, charges £4.50, the good tapas place £3 (evoo not butter)m both house made

Postby Amyw » Fri May 07, 2021 8:25 pm

I don’t think £3.50 is out the way especially in London. Don’t get me wrong if it was a slice of Hovis and a ramekin of anchor butter , I wouldn’t be best impressed , but for quality bread, I’d be fine with it , especially as it’s an add on you choose to pay

Postby Pampy » Sat May 08, 2021 12:18 am

One of Nigel Haworth's old places used to have bread and dips on the menu at £5.50. At first, I thought it was expensive but you got home made bread, farm butter, a good balsamic vinegar, a black pea vinegar and a couple of olive and rapeseed oils so it actually was very good value!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 08, 2021 1:50 am

That sounds nice Pampy

It always worries me when you get a set menu and “roll and butter” is listed as an item - somehow it’s a harbinger of rock bottom mass catering with faint pretensions, reminds me of working in a holiday camp back in the early 70s

I haven’t seen a cover charge in ages though, and most of those places where you can only have a set menu give you bread and water as a matter of course

Postby Busybee » Sat May 08, 2021 8:35 am

Pampy wrote:One of Nigel Haworth's old places used to have bread and dips on the menu at £5.50. At first, I thought it was expensive but you got home made bread, farm butter, a good balsamic vinegar, a black pea vinegar and a couple of olive and rapeseed oils so it actually was very good value!

I used to love Nigel’s pubs, especially the Three Fishes, but felt that they became a bit lack lustre as the small group expanded. Now we live in Yorkshire they are definitely off the menu, have they regained their charm Pampy? We are venturing over to the north west in June to sort out some business issues and a Ribble Inn visit could be worked into the schedule.

BB

Postby Pampy » Sat May 08, 2021 12:58 pm

He's sold all the Ribble Valley Inns. Some (not sure if all) were bought by Brunning and Price, which is a company that I'd never heard of before. He's also left Northcote Manor which has been sold to a company called Britannia Hospitality Ltd.
I live very near the Clog and Billycock and had a meal there not long after the take over - it was dire. However, we gave it another chance just before the first lockdown and it had improved considerably. What it's like now they are doing outside meals, I don't know, although it looked quite busy when I passed yesterday late afternoon.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox