Register

A birthday party!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: A birthday party!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 pm

I like the look of the first recipe in this collection, the orange poppy seed cake:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ked-salmon

I was thinking of the Claudia Roden orange and almond cake, when you cook the oranges whole and then pulp them, as it can be made the day before and is a doddle to make - but of course, that uses lots of eggs :oops:

Then I came across this, which looks suitable, and not fussy or difficult, although would seemingly also require an egg substitute, but not as many as the Claudia Roden one, which I recall uses 6 eggs.

For 30 people you'd probably need three or four large cakes? Or two huge ones?

Just found this! https://www.cookfood.net/products/Raspb ... hio-Torte/ Vegan, and the COOK desserts are great. They're also often on the generous side, we find.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Thanks KC2. The Pear crumble looks good too. DD2 has a pear tree and never knows what to do with the fruit.

We have to bear in mind there will also be at least eight under tens who are of the McDonalds persuasion.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Sun May 02, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We have to bear in mind there will also be at least eight under tens who are of the McDonalds persuasion.

Maybe ice cream in cones for them - you can get the waffle cones so they're a bit more special - and you may find that your veggie, dairy tolerant adults would be more happy to have some of those too!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 02, 2021 6:10 pm

He’s such a show off! Have just found out he has an outdoor pizza thing as well. Investigating which.

Postby Amyw » Sun May 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Salad/sides I’d go for

Dips with crudités/breadsticks like hummus , baba ghanoush , raita

Potato salad with vegan mayo or just simply boiled with lots of mint and vegan spread

A tray of roasted Mediterranean veg with a vegan pesto

Coleslaw with vegan mayo

A mixed bean salad

Carrot orange and nut salad

Desserts I was thinking brownies as there’s a lot of vegan recipes about and let’s face it everyone loves a brownie

Postby Amber » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 am

Not for bbq-ing, but very handy to have (and easily made beforehand) Celia Brooks Brown Lentil Wellington (it’s always popular here), or Tormented Eggplant from the old Mr Menu days. It freezes well too.

Someone mentioned Ainsleys BBQ Bible recently, there’s a recipe in there which we use a lot for vegetarians. AFAIR it consists of small caramelised onions, kebab-ed and bbq’ed.

A quick and easy dessert? Self assembly brandy snap baskets, with lemon posset, and fresh raspberries. Or the chocolate mousse mentioned here last week.

For the children, not tested here, but it sounds quick and easy, a slice of bread, spread with tomato sauce, and wrapped around a hot dog. Not exactly haute cuisine, but quick and easy.

I really fancy a big family bbq now. Hope you all have a lovely day together.

Postby Pampy » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
Maybe ice cream in cones for them - you can get the waffle cones so they're a bit more special - and you may find that your veggie, dairy tolerant adults would be more happy to have some of those too!

Check the ingredients of any bought ice cream that you want to offer to veggie/vegan guests. There's recently been a big hoo-ha about a local primary school near me serving ice cream which contained gelatine to Muslim children. (It wasn't deliberate and as soon as the school realised, they contacted all parents to apologise, which has been met with various degrees of acceptance.)

Postby jeral » Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 am

Fruit pies, tatins or tartlets with whatever fruits are in season at the time. Jus-Rol's standard pastries (incl. vol au vents) are vegan, although vegan baking fat is around if you wanted to make pastry.

There's a list of vegan biscuits here, including some iced ones that the children might like. The adults could eat them as sorbet or icecream scoops.
https://allplants.com/blog/lifestyle/11 ... n-biscuits

Are you planning on adding pickles with the sides? Gherkins, chutney, black or green olives, and peanuts, cashews, mixed nuts, can help boost vegan food.

If any salads are substantial, e.g. bean or chickpea, some wraps or pita pockets would make sure the vegans and veggies don't go hungry. Falafel wraps are popular - and filling incidentally. Aubergine parmigiana is a good standby.

Hope the planning goes well.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Summer pudding?

Mention of aubergine parmigiana reminds me of the joy of Imam Bayildi... :D

Postby scullion » Mon May 03, 2021 4:16 pm

i think Wordsworth may have the best idea.
- if you ask everyone to bring an accompaniment or pudding there will be enough veg/vegan options for everyone (everyone overestimates the amount people eat).
then go and treat yourself to something nice to wear on the day, with the money you've saved and during the time you'd have spent slaving in the kitchen.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm

scullion wrote:i think Wordsworth may have the best idea.
- if you ask everyone to bring an accompaniment or pudding there will be enough veg/vegan options for everyone (everyone overestimates the amount people eat).
then go and treat yourself to something nice to wear on the day, with the money you've saved and during the time you'd have spent slaving in the kitchen.

This sounds like a good idea :thumbsup .

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 03, 2021 4:39 pm

Presumably PP won't be using all these ideas! I think she should step back and let the family organise it but of course, there is a good deal of pleasure to be had in doing some, but not all, of the preparation.

I wouldn't ask everyone to bring something, perhaps just a select few. Some friends held a huge garden party for one of the notable wedding anniversaries and asked people to donate to a charity instead of buying gifts and to bring a plate of food for a pot luck buffet. As has been said, people always bring more than they would eat and the resulting 'spread'was absolutely massive and had to be placed over several rooms in the house as well as the garden. Everyone took a large doggie bag home but it was a lesson in catering!

I remember reading of children's birthday parties where they went up to the kitchen window and were served chips, jelly etc. Perhaps the children could have something like that. Are they vegan?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 03, 2021 5:22 pm

I think my great niece might be vegetarian but all 5 grandchildren are meat eaters EM.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm

I’m looking at Nigel’s peppers recipe using silken tofu for the vegans. Am ashamed to say I have never knowingly cooked or eaten tofu. Why does silken matter and do we think this is a good idea?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ry-compote

Postby Amyw » Sun May 09, 2021 4:24 pm

I’ve never used silken tofu , I know the texture is quite softer than the normal and I think silken is what they recommend for faux egg dishes like scrambled tofu more .

I really like normal tofu . People complain that it’s bland but to ge honest , if you use plain diced chicken breast in a dish, it won’t have the biggest amount of flavour either , it’s the herbs and spices you add to it that make the dish .

Tofu kebabs would be a nice idea and easy to pre- prepare . You could go any route really , Mexican , Asian or Indian flavouring

Postby mistakened » Sun May 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Will you providing any thing for the meat eaters?

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 09, 2021 4:35 pm

As the article says, silken tofu has a light, pannacotta-like texture and would be nice on those peppers.

I think plain standard tofu is very uninteresting indeed and I couldn't ever compare it to chicken. I use it chopped up quite small so that it really takes on the flavour of whatever dish I am using it for. I prefer smoked tofu and would use smoked silken tofu for that recipe.

Is your son going to hide the pizza oven? Seems a good idea to with such a crowd!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 09, 2021 4:36 pm

We haven’t started negotiations yet EM! :oops:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 09, 2021 4:37 pm

mistakened wrote:Will you providing any thing for the meat eaters?

Moira

Oh gosh yes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We haven’t started negotiations yet EM! :oops:

:lol: It would mean endless work for whoever was in charge of it as I imagine it would be hugely popular - but would be a hit with the children (creating their own)!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox