Register

Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ooni pizza oven (gas fired)

Postby halfateabag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm

I looked at Ooni but decided that we mostly BBQ so it would not get a lot of use.

I understand that the cargo ship that blocked the Suez canal is being held until they pay a £400,000 fine :shock: :shock: for doing so.

Postby Binky » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Second attempt at pizza. Made with OO flour, which makes a very chewy and elastic pizza base. I made the coleslaw and pasta salad. We're both happy with the results.

Imageimage sharing

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Funnily enough I made pizza today with my clients at work . Sadly no pizza oven here , we just used the normal oven but a friend of a friend had given us pizza dough from the van they run and it was really good . I always think the base is the key component

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:00 am

That looks very good Binky. By the time your peel comes you'll hardly need it!

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:41 am

Yep, does look good :) A disadvantage of homemade in an oven is that toppings need to be limited/sparse or they soggify the base which doesn't cook properly if buried. The ultra heat of your Ooni seems to cope with toppings very well so a definite win..

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:34 am

That looks really lovely, Binky.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:51 pm

You (or is that Mr Binky ;) ) are definately getting the hang of this pizza cooking lark.

I think you're right about the 00 flour improving the base. I think the base is everything when it comes to a really good pizza, topping is a matter of taste but a good base is the star - I don't think we realise this until we have a good one then the pretenders really don't cut it.

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:28 pm

How strange - could have sworn I posted a reply yesterday - just to agree that 00 flour is definitely the best for the base - it really makes a difference imo.

ETA - I did post this - on the Flammkuchen thread!

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 pm

Binky you've been a very bad influence on me.......I've ordered a Koda 12.

Got to wait until June for delivery but I'm already very excited :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: .

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm

Stop it! Fingers in ears - la-la-la-la. I'm desperately trying to stop myself... :D :D

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 am

Beware. The spending hardly stops once you've got an Ooni. OH has bought a bamboo peel, a turning peel and a cast-iron sizzler dish. Pizza day is Saturday as the weather looks set fair in our area, so I will post pics.

(tip: do not bother buying the Ooni cookbook. It's full of dreamy photos of Finnish
lakes and Scottish shore locations, or families sitting at table eating pizza - with their hats and coats on - but very few good recipes apart from the original pizza dough recipe, and the one for margarita, but I think they're available online anyway).

Postby Pampy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Oooh - a sizzler dish - hadn't thought of that - what a good idea! Many years ago, I had a meal in the Netherlands that was chicken, onions and mushrooms done in a sizzler dish and it was heaven, especially the little burnt bits on the edges. I feel my resolve slowly(?) crumbling.

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm

One of our favourite restaurant meals ever were the sizzling fajitas sold in every ChiChi and Chillis chains in the US. Maybe it was the novelty as they hadn't come to the UK at that time (late 1980s) and we loved frozen margaritas with veg fajitas. We never could re-create it in a griddle pan back home, so we're hoping for great things when the sizzler pan arrives next week.
:klingonbanana

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tip about the book Binky, I was eyeing it up!

The only extra I think I'll get is an IR thermometer, luckily for me my birthday is around the time of expected arrival so it's gone on the list :D .

Those turning peels are expensive!! I looked around at others and they still seem pricey for what they are. You'll have to give us OH's verdict on it to let me know if I need to start saving my pennies :thumbsup :lol: .

I've had a look through the recipes on the Ooni site, I fancy the cast iron pan and a sizzler dish sometime in my future.

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm

We already had the thermometer so no extra expense there for us. I think it's essential actually with the Ooni as the cooking is temperature specific and you can easily scorch items if the oven is too hot.

(OH has just brought tea and cake into the room. He says don't buy the Ooni thermometer as you can get the same quality but cheaper on Amazon).

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks Binky :thumbsup . I did think this might be the case.

Postby Binky » Sat May 01, 2021 6:21 pm

This is useful (we found it after our first attempts and could have done with some of the tips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4x-98IHpk

Postby Binky » Sat May 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Pizza peel has arrived

Toppings waiting to go on

Waiting for oven to reach temperature

Finished job

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Thanks for the link Binky, I shall have a look later.

Did you (or Mr Binky) find the turning peel useful?

The pizza is coming on a treat :clap :thumbsup . I've paid a lot of money for inferior pizza from experts.

Postby Binky » Sat May 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Mr Binky is the chef in our house. He found the pizza turning peel to be excellent and can recommend them for effortless pizza turning (every 15 seconds). It is lightweight and good quality so he's glad we bought that and not the square pizza peel (which is harder to use as a turning peel). Sitting here feeling replete with pizza and side salad; pouring more wine and going to watch'Rocketman' now.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox