Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby Busybee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:05 am

herbidacious wrote:
Busybee miight be worth checking that there isn't something amiss with your internet. Who do you have?
We've been complaining about our 24 mb download speed (when we both have zoom meetings atthe same time) but some of my colleagues have been labouring with 7 :o Chagning providers seems to have helped.

My sister in law says her father has 1000mb/s! (He used to work in the industry.)

It’s been checked Herbi, all seven houses on our hamlet all suffer the same, it’s a symptom of being too far from the exchange which is in the village. We are with BT who charge us a reduced fee as they can’t deliver the minimum advertised speed, other providers won’t even supply us as they know they can’t reach the minimum speeds. We have been told that it will stay the same until we get fibre to the home, promised for in the next two years which was two years ago but like so much Covid has delayed matters.

It’s a down side to being in such a location, but the positives outweigh the negatives. When we came here we didn’t have mobile phone reception with any provider either, but that was rectified after a couple of years, that really was trying!

BB

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am

What a pain, but yes, as you say the location...

We have similar in France. We have to use satellite ADSL which always needs tinkering with when we arrive (if going up a ladder, loosening rusty bolts and moving a satellite dish around until you get a solid beep on your laptop counts as tinkering) and the mobile phone signal is almost non-existent which means we also have to pay for a landline. And we pay £30 a month for this, get 5gb of data a month and are hardly ever there. But the location...

The holiday cottage Wales we have booked for May sounds like it has a very similar set up to yours.

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Busybee wrote:When we came here we didn’t have mobile phone reception with any provider either, but that was rectified after a couple of years, that really was trying!

as you have mobile reception, have you thought of getting a 4g (5g) router on a sim card? our internet was also crap - very slow and often disappearing due to damage on the line between us and the box. so we opted for a 4g. the speed of our internet is far faster and reliable. we gave up our land line at the same time and now just have our mobiles on a £6 goody bag each and a £20 one for our internet. we don't use more than that and the upside is that we don't pay the landline charge on top of the internet bill - and no longer get any of those really annoying cold calls on the phone. we can also take the router anywhere with us as it runs like a mobile phone.

Postby Busybee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:06 pm

scullion wrote:
Busybee wrote:When we came here we didn’t have mobile phone reception with any provider either, but that was rectified after a couple of years, that really was trying!

as you have mobile reception, have you thought of getting a 4g (5g) router on a sim card? our internet was also crap - very slow and often disappearing due to damage on the line between us and the box. so we opted for a 4g. the speed of our internet is far faster and reliable. we gave up our land line at the same time and now just have our mobiles on a £6 goody bag each and a £20 one for our internet. we don't use more than that and the upside is that we don't pay the landline charge on top of the internet bill - and no longer get any of those really annoying cold calls on the phone. we can also take the router anywhere with us as it runs like a mobile phone.

That’s a thought, I will investigate. Thanks Scully.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Ooh look! A new Ottolenghi is coming...

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/144/144 ... 91493.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 pm

I've got a feeling that the ingredients kicking about in his kitchen will be different from those in mine :lol:.

Postby Amyw » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I’m still tempted by his latest one Flavour ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Amyw wrote:I’m still tempted by his latest one Flavour ?

I went to a talk Yotam and Ixta (his co-author) gave about Flavour and it sounded good

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:19 pm

Flavour is very very good. I have made more things out of it probably than any other book I have (although this is partly a lockdown/Covid thing no doubt. I have only made one thing that was not delicious, and even that was pretty good.

I suspect you are right, EM. :lol:

Postby Kacey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 am

I can also recommend Flavour, its my current favourite and had probably been used more than any other recent new book.

I've been looking at the latest Anna Jones book, can I wait till my birthday in June?

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:38 pm

... dashes off to look for new Anna Jones book...

edit: I might just have to buy that. No birthday coming up in the near future. (Or not one that's mine, at least!)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:45 am

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 am

I've amassed quite a few cookery books over the years, and for all sorts of reasons - but which would I say is my favourite? Some I have used more recipes from than others, some I have learned useful techniques from, some I have been disappointed with - the reasons are many, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. But I can only choose one. It eventually came down to two - would it be Delia's "Complete Cookery Course", which is battered and has loose pages, and from which I've learned so much? If the prize was for gratitude, it would win, hands down. But no. My winner would be Simon Hopkinson's "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" - and yes, I do have a couple of Elizabeth Davids. It's the sheer quality of the writlng that does it for me - you just know that whichever dish you choose will turn out to be a bit special. Who else could make a chapter on leeks seem so utterly seductive?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am

A guy on one of our local FB groups is collecting any (preferably non-fiction) books.

My cookery book collection was almost out of control - I would keep buying books that I thought were good value, or sometimes what someone else recommended. I have just filled a large shopping trolley with large, very glossy books that I have never looked, never mind used.... still trying to decide whether to cull all my JO books . I haven't got the Simon Hopkins chicken book, but do have the John Torode one .. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Pat, I've just been wondering what to do with a lot of my cookery books, some of which I've hardly read, I'm ashamed to say. I used to love just reading books by Nigel Slater, but don't seem to do that now. Do people still use cookery books or always go online?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm

I'm not sure what this guy is going to do with all these books ... but rather give them to him than take to the local tip. I have so many, I would have a job getting them there anyway :roll:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:08 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I'm not sure what this guy is going to do with all these books ... but rather give them to him than take to the local tip. I have so many, I would have a job getting them there anyway :roll:

Maybe he's planning to set up a mini-Amazon business?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm

I do.

Take to your local charity shops in batches when they open again. Better that than for someone's own profit? A tip would be a terrible waste.

Looking at books on eBay... An example: Delia's Vegetarian. £3.99 with free postage. How do they make a profit? It would cost that, I think, to send it in the post. So time taken to package up, packaging etc. not covered, let alone the product. Book sellers don't have that big a mark up, I think. Something not quite right there.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:41 pm

I put a motley collection of well used cookery books, some falling apart, on our local FB site for free collection. A man who didn't look as though he'd be very interested in cookery (I know, there's not a look but you know what I mean!) snapped them up. I'd love to know what he did with them.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:How to Eat. Jay on Nigella.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... -high-camp

Reading that article has made me get this book out to re-read it.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox