Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Kacey » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Just had a butternut squash curry along with some saag and a beetroot dhansak, all delicious. I had a pack of Bhel mix I bought in my last Indian supermarket shop so I mixed that with some diced cooked potato, chopped onion, tamarind sauce, chaat masala and a squeeze of lemon, very very moreish.

Tomorrow night for Burns night, because OH's late mother was Scots, we're having veggie haggis with neeps & tattties, and some Scottish shortbread and Laphroaig Quarter Cask to finish.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Tonight was whole sea bass cooked in the oven with baby roasties, chorizo, broad beans and peas.

The fish was seasoned with lemon and fennel.

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:11 am

I'd really like to make a veggie mousakka this week but none of the supermarkets I use have aubergines, I'm assuming there's a shortage.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Last night was something quick I hadn't made in years. I keep forgetting that there's tinned tuna in the cupboard. Sauteed veg (mushroom, courgette, onion, carrot, tomato, spinach). Tuna, capers and lots of lemon juice and white pepper. Cooked pasta. All mixed together in the veg pan with a good handful of grated cheddar lightly stirred in at the end. So delicious I didn't want the last mouthful to come. Simple is so good sometimes!

Yum ..right up my street. No courgette and mushrooms at the moment but a red pepper that needs using up along with the carrots, onion, tomato and spinach :yum :yum :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm

We´re definitely on a Salmon Trip this year. Well I suppose it´s because I bought a whole side of salmon a few weeks ago... :lol:
Yesterday it was pan-fried salmon, beurre blanc with dill and capers, and golden fennel fans.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm

I couldn't find a small haggis for Burns Night, so I'm doing a dish which, I am informed, originates from Orkney. I went there last year, and if all goes well, I'll be going again this September. It's a thick cod fillet,covered in a mixture of wholegrain mustard, honey and orange zest - baked. I'm really looking forward to it.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm

I wish for haggis.

Tonight it will be pizza :D With anchovies.

How big are your salmon sides KDKA? We get frozen sides of wild salmon but ours are usually only around 6-700g apiece so taken out and defrosted and used over a couple or three meals all told.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 pm

ZC - this one was just over 2 kgs. A whole side of salmon. I left the skin on and cut the side into about 10-12 pieces. In retrospect, I think the next one will be portioned into steaks, cutting off the thinner outside pieces; they can be use for pasta or pies or fishcakes.

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 am

Last night started off as a mushroom and leek pie, but them ushrooms looked dodgy so it became a leek and potato bake. Then it kind of morphed intio a cheat's dauphinoise as I discovered a tub of extra thick douhle cream (use by date 21st December) which was turning. So potato, leek, petit pois, mustard and cheddar gratin.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 pm

It sounds as though you ended up with something far more decadent than expected Herbi! :yum.

As I'm doing click and collect every fortnight, week 2 is becoming more of a 'use what needs using' week, saving the nicer things for when GD is here at the end of the week. I've been meaning to try roasting chickpeas and last night I made a big salad with some of the umpteen carrots I've acquired, some celery and lettuce which may have been in the fridge since Christmas :oops: , dried cranberries (my latest 'thing'), chopped walnuts, satsuma juice a small handful of grated cheese and the freshly roasted chickpeas covered in seaweed seasoning , a teeny bit of garlic powder and some salt. Neither carrots nor celery are high on my list of favourite things but I must say, the whole thing was delicious. I'll put the chickpeas on earlier next time. When they came out of the oven, I sprinkled them with salt and could barely taste it (which was why I used seaweed seasoning and garlic, I don't care for the more obvious cumin much). It brought home just how much salt bought snacks must have on them.

Postby Kacey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:43 pm

I'm trying Ottolenghi's Dirty Rice tonight, smells delicious so far. I think I've tried more dishes from 'Flavour' than any of his other books. The recipes still have a hefty list of ingredients but somehow they all seem to have much simpler, quicker methods.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Ooh that looks nice, Kacey. I'd need to get some black garlic. And Cajun spice mix. And chestnuts... it really appeals though.

I could do the kimchi fritters too (on the same Guardian page) - I have some kimchi I probably ought to eat up. (Um bought in December. I keep forgetting about it. Probably still ok though...?! Mind you not 500g, I suspect.)

I really have to diet soon though. I think I am eating more in the face of it. I will end up having even more to lose. Feb 1st? I have running shoes on order. Maybe couch to 5k thing.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:28 pm

Tonight is plaice fillet in a foil parcel with s&p, parsley, lemon juice, splash of Chardonnay.
To be served with vegetable fried rice and crispy onions.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:28 pm

Today the wood burning stove was stoked up from last night so I decided to do chicken thighs with chorizo, chickpea and paprika. By 10am the house smelt wonderful. So then came another of our favourites, lamb with yogurt and dill. So now we have lots of meals done for the foreseeable future and life will be easy and meals tasty. My cooking mojo is returning.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:38 pm

Thanks for the buckwheat flour links Pampy! None in my local Sainsbury’s or Tesco stores but I hadn’t checked the online grocery sites. I managed to order some from Abel and Cole with this weeks veg box luckily.

We had pot roast chicken tonight with leeks, rosemary and cheddar dumplings.

Last night we had pork pibil with tortillas, salsa, sour cream, slightly pickled onions and coriander.

Over the weekend we had an oven baked risotto with butternut squash, kale, pancetta and mushrooms.

We’ve got a few limp looking parsnips and carrots in the fridge so I will make a soup tomorrow to use up the sorriest looking bits from the fridge.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:53 am

Last night we had pork pibil with tortillas, salsa, sour cream, slightly pickled onions and coriander.

Cochinito (pork) Pibil was one of the first things I tried when I got to Mexico. Unbelievably good!
How did you make yours?

Postby Kacey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Just had the leftovers of last night's dirty rice for a late breakfast, added a couple of fried eggs on top - delicious!

The fennel delivered from Ocado at the weekend was a bit titchy compared to recent bulbs, not enough to do the meal I'd planned so we'll have it tonight with pasta, peas and a big slug of pernod - in with the fennel I mean not as a tipple whilst I cook, that's always a nice glass of red a la Keith Floyd.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Nadiya's lamb bhuna tonight, it smells great.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:

Cochinito (pork) Pibil was one of the first things I tried when I got to Mexico. Unbelievably good!
How did you make yours?

It was ripped out of Red magazine a few years ago. Ive just checked back and it involved frying allspice berries, peppercorns and cumin seeds and grinding them to a powder then blitzing it with 50g annatto paste, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet chilli, 100ml wine vinegar and juice of 4 oranges. Marinading pork shoulder with it and a few bay leaves overnight then cooking for 3 hours or so until the meat was tender and could be shredded easily. We added a splash of water about 2 hours in and kept basting the meat. We started the oven low ish and increased it for the last hour. The annatto paste was bought from Amazon. Definitely one to make again!

Tonight we had chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto with a herb butter. With sautéed kale, tomatoes, peppers, chilli and a squeeze of lemon.

I have a bit of a thing for Aldi dark chocolate with hazelnuts and I stocked up today so we will have a few squares for dessert.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Great recipe and very close to the original in Mexico. The difference over there is that they wrap the pork in plantain leaves, with all the aromatics, and bake it. The plantain leaves keep in all the moisture; I think it might be a bit tricky to find plantain leaves in the UK - oak leaves are not quite the same. :lol: :lol:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox