Register

Jack fruit

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Jack fruit

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:52 am

From a tin. What can we do with it?

Neither of us like BBQ sauces, and a curry appears to be the most popular option but what else is there?

Re: Jack fruit

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 am

Check the label carefully - it comes usually in water or brine, which are obviously interchangeable if you adjust the salt, but ripe jackfruit in syrup also exists

I quite fancy these “crab cakes” - if you don’t have Old Bay Seasoning it can be subbed ( I find it tastes mainly of celery salt)

https://nosweatvegan.com/vegan-crab-cakes/

Seasoning - this is a round up of alternatives, mainly celery and paprika, but also suggests just using less Cajun seasoning, which I’d prefer

https://www.verywellfit.com/best-substi ... ng-5211940

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:56 am

We usually avoid American recipes as they have a habit of telling the writer's life-story and are boringly long-winded, and you seem to be endlessly scrolling. We just want ingredients and method! However, having ploughed through this one, I think OH will give it a go.

We used to love Cajun food back in the 1990s; blackened cajun catfish was our regular chosen dish when going to a particular restaurant in Ann Arbor, now long closed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:11 pm

I think the pleasure of writing the preamble is why people blog recipes

I scroll down to the bottom to check there’s a summary in the form of a conventional recipe, which usually there is, then skim the intro

Having said which, I quite often find the pictures, and sometimes descriptions, of intermediate stages are helpful if it’s something I haven’t done before

Postby Suelle » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:13 pm

Just be aware that jackfruit has hardly any nutritional value - if you use it in place of meat or fish you certainly won't be getting the protein that would have come from the meat or fish. It's only useful as a protein replacement if you want the texture to be similar.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I think the pleasure of writing the preamble is why people blog recipes

I scroll down to the bottom to check there’s a summary in the form of a conventional recipe, which usually there is, then skim the intro

Having said which, I quite often find the pictures, and sometimes descriptions, of intermediate stages are helpful if it’s something I haven’t done before

Reading back Sue I look like an ungrateful wart. Which I'm not. Thanks for the different idea and we'll be trying it during the week. :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:08 pm

:newhuggy

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:21 pm

Binky wrote:We usually avoid American recipes as they have a habit of telling the writer's life-story and are boringly long-winded, and you seem to be endlessly scrolling. We just want ingredients and method! .

Oh don't they. My fabulous life, handsome husband, amazing children...they make me laugh.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox