Register

Hot weather blues - exploding yeast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Hot weather blues - exploding yeast

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:39 am

Hello folks, long time no post but I haven't been at my best this past few months. On a different chemo regime now and it seems to be doing a better job (fingers crossed).

Anyway, as some will know, OH does all our cooking and breadmaking. This is the sight he went back to in the kitchen after only leaving the mix for less than an hour.
Yeast has bubbled up and overflowed the Kenmix, over the counter top, down the cupboard front and onto the floor. What to do next? The bowl is too big for the fridge and there's nowhere cool here (we're in the heatwave area). Should he chuck it away and start again or can it be rescued? Any ideas?

Re: Hot weather blues - exploding yeast

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:46 am

Sorry Binky can't help you but just wanted to say it's great to see you!

We've had our Ooni out and it made me think of you and how you're doing. Sorry to hear your chemo was out of whack, having had a 6 cycle course myself a few months ago and having a very severe reaction to it I'm very aware how ill it can make you. I do hope the new regime works out better for you and you are able to have a decent quality of life.

All the best :crossed :thumbsup .

Postby Busybee » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:51 am

Binky! It’s so lovely to ‘see’ you. Sorry that the last few months have been hard going, wishing you an easier path going forward.

Can’t help about the yeast, just so very happy to hear from you.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:08 pm

It certainly is lovely to 'see' you and I hope that the new regime is a success.

The exploding yeast must have been a shock! It looks quite a thin liquid. I think we would need to know what sort of yeast and what sort of method/recipe was being used. Is it the same yeast that you usually use?

I might experiment with halving the mixture, adding more flour, kneading and baking but would not know the result until it was done. I have read online however, that when yeast is too warm and becomes overactive it produces too much waste in the form of alcohol compounds which can result in a bitter tasting loaf. It might not be worth spending more on flour to try to save it. I hope that our more scientific bods can help!

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:42 pm

OH has added more flour and thinks we will get three loaves rather than our usual four. We will look out for any bitter taste when the loaves are baked and report back.

6 cycles eh? A lightweight (Binky scoffs) I'm on my 93rd. I'm more wobbly on my feet and use a wheelchair for any outdoor trips (certainly can't walk round town or in any shops) but I'm fine in the house which is on one level (not a true bungalow as there are steps down to the front door) so I toddle about and give my orders for breakfast/lunch and dinner. OH likes this as he says he doesn't mind cooking, it's the fresh menu ideas he welcomes.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Binky! :wave:
Lovely to hear from you even though it's about a pita - can't help with that, but it sounds like you've got it sorted. Bet the sous chef was cursing & swearing clearing the mess up - sticks like glue.

Hope you've pre-registered with Sakks for the new board........ :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Nice to see you Binky! :hi5:

I expect you are not the only people to have had fun with yeast in the hot weather

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Binky! :wave:
Lovely to hear from you even though it's about a pita - can't help with that, but it sounds like you've got it sorted. Bet the sous chef was cursing & swearing clearing the mess up - sticks like glue.

Hope you've pre-registered with Sakks for the new board........ :thumbsup

No, I haven't pre-registered. Didn't realise was necessary. Ooh er. :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:17 pm

It's not necessary to pre-register, you can just register yourself now it is open

Here's the new board:
http://www.sakkarin.co.uk

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:13 pm

Can't help with the yeast Binky but just want to say it's great to hear from you. Hope the new regime works well. :newhuggy

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:38 pm

Feels to be working but you can never tell. I am on 3-monthly horizons now. If the CT scan shows 'lack of stability' then the regime is stopped and we try something else. So far the failures have led to spreading to lungs, bones and now liver. That's serious. Anyway, don't feel too concerned about me, my appetite is good and I'm doing pretty much what I want. This is me a few weeks ago with new wig. Nurses have said that what they read on my records before treatment doesn't add up to the person they see before them. I always wear make-up, a nice dress and a wig so they don't see the 'first thing in the morning' me. If you watched the Addams Family, I could pass for Uncle Fester......

Imagedown home food near me

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:16 pm

You're a babe............ :wink:

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 pm

You're my new bessie mate :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:28 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:36 pm

Lovely to see you, Binky :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Nice to see you Binky! You certainly look good in that pic :D

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Very kind comments, thank you.

Back on topic, OH has now told me that he used a new yeast. Previously used a French baker's yeast which is now difficult to source due to delivery difficulties. He bought, without checking I suppose, a Doves Farm replacement which might be for breadmaking machines. Will have a longer conversation later but the weekly foodshopping is being delivered now so OH has been whisked away.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Yes, it's a really lovely pic.

Ah! Re the yeast. That may be part of the cause. There was a discussion on the 'bread' thread on June 8th about different yeasts including 'quick' yeasts. The discussion started because Suffs couldn't get Doves 'quick' yeast. Perhaps your OH had bought the last!!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4754&start=100

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:47 pm

What a lovely smile, Binky!

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:12 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Yes, it's a really lovely pic.

Ah! Re the yeast. That may be part of the cause. There was a discussion on the 'bread' thread on June 8th about different yeasts including 'quick' yeasts. The discussion started because Suffs couldn't get Doves 'quick' yeast. Perhaps your OH had bought the last!!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4754&start=100

He got ours from Lakeland. Lots of packs in that shop.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox