Register

Hot weather blues - exploding yeast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hot weather blues - exploding yeast

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:35 pm

And here's the finished product. 3 loaves and a darling little bread roll.

Imagedrew brees wallpaper

Question: I'm watching old episodes of Bake Off (didn't see it first time round). All the bread bakers are kneading by hand. Why? That's why God gave us kitchen aids to do the hard work.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 pm

Lovely to see you Binky :newhuggy ...

I too use a bread machine, but only for the initial knead and first prove when I knock it back, tip into a bread tin and let it do it's thing (proving in the microwave that has been previously warmed) for another hour, then pop into a pre-heated oven .

Those loaves look much like the finished bread I make - I use the fine powdery 'Instant' yeast as recommended for machines - you just add it to the flour and throw it in the bucket after the liquid.

Postby dennispc » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:34 pm

That’s a lovely photo Binky, really nice to see you. Glad OH was able to produce some loaves.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:17 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Those loaves look much like the finished bread I make - I use the fine powdery 'Instant' yeast as recommended for machines - you just add it to the flour and throw it in the bucket after the liquid.

What kind of bread machine do you have Patsy? I have a Panasonic and the water always goes in after the dry ingredients.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:45 am

Lovely to 'see' you again Binky. You look good in that photo :)

Pampy - I have a Breville breadmakereand the water/liquids go in first. I know different brands have different instructions but don't know why!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:23 am

Morning, Binky.
The loaves look lovely. And so do you.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:44 am

The loaves look lovely, Binky. I hope they taste good. Did your OH add extra flour or bake as it was?

As for kneading, I thought that many think it 'cheating' to use a machine or mixer. I am always shocked that even in Junior Bakeoff the children do everything by machine. I do think that they should demonstrate that they know how to do things manually before moving on to the luxury of a machine. Not everyone can afford the latest gadgets.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:19 am

Pampy wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

What kind of bread machine do you have Patsy? I have a Panasonic and the water always goes in after the dry ingredients.

Mine is labelled ' Items' and iirc, it may have been bought from Tesco. The instructions would probably have said to put the liquid in first. I do this (including salt, sugar and oil) and start the machine going on 'dough' setting so it is agitating before I add the flour/yeast.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:05 am

Binky wrote:OH has added more flour and thinks we will get three loaves rather than our usual four. We will look out for any bitter taste when the loaves are baked and report back.

6 cycles eh? A lightweight (Binky scoffs) I'm on my 93rd. I'm more wobbly on my feet and use a wheelchair for any outdoor trips (certainly can't walk round town or in any shops) but I'm fine in the house which is on one level (not a true bungalow as there are steps down to the front door) so I toddle about and give my orders for breakfast/lunch and dinner. OH likes this as he says he doesn't mind cooking, it's the fresh menu ideas he welcomes.

Hello Binky :wave , you look great!

OMG 93!!! :-o I must be a wimp my 6 felt like 6 too many! :oops: .

Postby Binky » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Sorry, I had a brain fog there. I go each week for chemo for 3 weeks then have a week off. So, I've had 93 in total which is actually 31 cycles and not 93.

The bread was really nice. OH says he will use maybe half the quantity of yeast next time as this was a quicker riser than he previously used.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:25 pm

Binky .... I use Doves Quick Yeast (orange pack).

I use 8gms to 500gms flour (usually about 300 gms strong white and 200 gms wholegrain)
I tspn salt. I tablespoon light olive oil. I tablespoon honey.
Approx 325mls tepid water.

All added together, kneaded for 10 mins with the Kenwood Chef, shaped into a loaf, put in the tin and left to rise for about an hour.

Oven at 200C for ten mins then down to 180C for 25 mins.

Hope that helps.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:09 pm

Lovely pic of you, Binky and I am sorry things have been so rough.

The bread looks lovely.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox