Register

Picnics and Pack Ups

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Picnics and Pack Ups

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Or is that just us

Nope, we often leave lunch in the car to be enjoyed when the walk is over.
We rarely do more than 3 hours these days so fruit keeps us sustained on the hoof.

I have never understood why our pals like to stop for a pint at the halfway point.
I absolutely lose the rhythm if the break is longer than 10 mins or so.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 26, 2022 6:21 pm

Well 9 of us a a terrier walked today and we stopped to eat our sandwiches at lunch time, and it was very nice

Postby miss mouse » Thu May 26, 2022 8:53 pm

WWordsworth wrote:
Or is that just us

Nope, we often leave lunch in the car to be enjoyed when the walk is over..

Another Nope. I just want to sleep after food.

Postby Busybee » Thu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Well 9 of us a a terrier walked today and we stopped to eat our sandwiches at lunch time, and it was very nice

I find that a well behaved terrier can improve even the most challenging of walks. Glad you enjoyed Sue.

What did you take to eat?

BB

Postby halfateabag » Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 pm

Over the last 3 days of house viewing we have taken a lunch with us. I have found that an omelette with Polish sausage was the best filling with a 'fava' bean dip/spread instead of butter or similar. We also had spanakopita but with shortcrust pastry which worked well too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 pm

Busybee wrote:

I find that a well behaved terrier can improve even the most challenging of walks. Glad you enjoyed Sue.

What did you take to eat?

BB

JoJo is only 9 months so she is only moderately well behaved, she mugged a slightly younger bull terrier and removed his chew bone, it was the turn of speed that caught him out (he wasn’t very bothered)

I made a cheese savoury, Greggs style, wholemeal bread, and I had an apple. I forgot I’d taken crisps

Postby Suffs » Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 am

If we’re carrying the lunch it’ll often be pasties or a Scotch egg and crisps. Both easy to eat and not heavy to carry. If we’re going to return to the car to eat a flask of homemade soup is a favourite. A wedge of bacon and egg or sausage and egg pie is another popular choice.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat May 28, 2022 2:14 pm

If the plan is to stop properly and enjoy lunch, I like taking a Tupperware with a cou cous or quinoa salad or similar.

I did this recently and it was lovely https://www.womensrunning.com/health/fo ... noa-salad/

I love the idea of a tortilla but any I’ve made haven’t seemed quite robust enough.

We went walking in Wales last year and I was tasked with one packed lunch. I did scotch egg pasties. Delicious and they lasted well but a complete faff!

When it’s just the two of us, I carry enough werthers to each have one an hour!

Postby Suelle » Sat May 28, 2022 2:33 pm

RockyBVI wrote:If the plan is to stop properly and enjoy lunch, I like taking a Tupperware with a cou cous or quinoa salad or similar.

I did this recently and it was lovely https://www.womensrunning.com/health/fo ... noa-salad/

I love the idea of a tortilla but any I’ve made haven’t seemed quite robust enough.

We went walking in Wales last year and I was tasked with one packed lunch. I did scotch egg pasties. Delicious and they lasted well but a complete faff!

When it’s just the two of us, I carry enough werthers to each have one an hour!

A Courgette Slice, which seems ubiquitous in the Antipodes, but less well known here, is a more robust version of a tortilla or frittata - there is oil and SR flour added too, which makes it less fragile. It's a bit like a savoury cake, but more egg-y, so it's somewhere between frittata and cake.

Here's the recipe I use, which came from an Australian blogger, with variations explained: https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2015/ ... slice.html

This is the recipe from a trustworthy Australian recipe site: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/zucchi ... 7e3f81a702

The proportions are a little different, but not vastly so.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby RockyBVI » Sat May 28, 2022 2:55 pm

Thanks for the reminder Suelle. I remember making a savoury cake from your blog some years ago and we loved it. Will revisit!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 28, 2022 3:26 pm

Thanks Suelle, have you tried freezing portions? I’ll give it a go

I need to replace the ham or bacon with something not pork as reheated pork still tastes a bit odd to me, but I suspect Taifun make something, in fact their smoked Wieners would work well if sliced

Postby Suelle » Sat May 28, 2022 3:41 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Thanks Suelle, have you tried freezing portions? I’ll give it a go

I need to replace the ham or bacon with something not pork as reheated pork still tastes a bit odd to me, but I suspect Taifun make something, in fact their smoked Wieners would work well if sliced

I've never tried freezing a portion, but I really ought to as I'm thoroughly fed up of it by the time I've finished it on my own, over 3 days. Something to remember next time I make one.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 29, 2022 12:33 am

Another thing I do sometimes is handvo, or savoury semolina cake, as per Anjum Anand.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox