Register

The Great British Breakfast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The Great British Breakfast

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 25, 2022 9:27 am

I know this is a media piece but I thought it might be worthy of a thread of its own given how regional we are.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... it-pudding

I can no longer manage a fry up although for years that was my breakfast of choice. But I did have kippers the other morning. M&S are spasmodically selling Craster ones. They were jolly good and were OH's favourites. I would like to try the suggested dock pudding. I like black pudding but it really doesn't like me.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Wed May 25, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Great British Breakfast

Postby aero280 » Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 am

When I lived in Plymouth, hogs pudding was a common meal. Not often for breakfast though. And it was a completely different thing from groat pudding.

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 am

I used to be made a cooked breakfast before school. It would be fried or grilled bacon, fried egg and if pushing the boat out possibly black pudding. Baked beans and hash browns were unheard of back then.
A fry up in early noughties in London was beans, egg, horrible grilled tomato, mushrooms, hashbrowns, if you were vegetarian. Similar now, I think.

I occasionally have a cooked breakfast when eating lunch out in a cafe, but don't eat breakfast at all.

Postby Busybee » Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 am

Being in Northern Ireland at the moment I can vouch for the wonderful soda farls and potato cakes, but would take issue at their abomination of a sausage. I’m afraid I would liken them to a cheap supermarket product where the meat is more of a paste texture. Nasty - and this was even 5he case in the very foodie place we stayed in Belfast where every other breakfast item was stunning.

I love a good cooked breakfast, it sets you up for the day but it’s only on holiday or guests staying that I indulge.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 25, 2022 10:51 am

I found the article quite interesting. I'd happily eat everything mentioned. I had in in-depth discussion with friends recently about laverbread. I have only tried the tinned kind and we all agreed we were a bit nonplussed about it (when following the recipe with oatmeal etc). Appparently, if you have it fresh it's a different thing completely.

I didn't know that Clootie Dumpling was a breakfast/savoury item - is that really so?

Proper hash brown as served in the backwaters of the USA is lovely (grated potato fried until crispy brown so you get white and brown bits). I dislike the frozen ones often served here (but I do like a bit of fried bread!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 25, 2022 11:18 am

Felicity is quite right, when I first lived in London in the 70s and 80s “Bubble” (hardly ever was Squeak mentioned) was the distinguishing feature of a London breakfast

We used to go to Anne’s caff for her special bubble, which was better than any I’ve made, and to the Thai café for their version made with Chinese cabbage and lots of alliums.

Not so ubiquitous now though.

In Clonakilty, Cork we got both black and white puddings, delicious

Black pudding varies a lot round the country - the filler can be oats, barley or other things, the amount of fat varies, the spicing varies and these days it’s usually made with dried blood rather than traditional fresh and I think that affects the texture - when you fry slices of traditional midlands an northern pudding it develops a truly black shiny coating like lacquer which you don’t get with dried; I don’t think you get it with some other trad types either

Postby liketocook » Wed May 25, 2022 11:50 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
I didn't know that Clootie Dumpling was a breakfast/savoury item - is that really so?

Oh yes and you've got to have a fried tattie scone, a slice of lorne sausage and ideally a slice of haggis.
I do love a cooked breakfast especially for dinner. :yum

Postby oat » Wed May 25, 2022 1:06 pm

If in scotland you also need a slice of fruit pudding with breakfast.

My favourite part of the meal.

Postby liketocook » Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm

oat wrote:If in scotland you also need a slice of fruit pudding with breakfast.

My favourite part of the meal.

Dumpling or fruit pudding fried in bacon fat is just the nicest thing. :yum

Postby Seatallan » Wed May 25, 2022 2:59 pm

LTC I so agree!! :thumbsup

BB, I do love a potato farl too.... :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 25, 2022 5:44 pm

I wonder when the eggs Benedict became so fashionable. And don’t get me started on runny eggs with avocado. I really can’t be doing with them

I’m with you on fried bread EM but IMHO it has to be cooked in lard or bacon fat.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed May 25, 2022 6:17 pm

Proper hash brown as served in the backwaters of the USA is lovely

Yes, a bit like a rosti I think.

I'm not very good with a large breakfast.
Fruit and granola before work is enough.

Weekend breakfasts are more indulgent, often something like poached egg on toast with mushrooms.
Anything larger and I need to go back to bed.

Postby Kacey » Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Aw, I love a big breakfast, sets me up for the day. On hols we've had dal on toast every morning. Varying the spicing of the dal of course. Lots of very fresh, very potent garlic around, so have to careful with the tarka (which I do in a briki to keep it Greek!)

We need nothing else apart from the odd few crisps or hunk of Greek rye bread to see us through to dinner

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 25, 2022 6:56 pm

Funnily enough the first time I had hash browns in the USA, years ago in San Francisco, they weren't in a cake like rosti, but were stirred and scraped on the hot plate so they stayed as a loose tangle of bits of potato that were brown and crisp all through

Postby Seatallan » Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I wonder when the eggs Benedict became so fashionable. And don’t get me started on runny eggs with avocado. I really can’t be doing with them

I adore both!! Love eggs Benedict with duck eggs, and runny eggs with avocado are scrumptious (especially with some very crispy bacon on the side along with a glass of fizz :yum :D )
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Nope. Really don’t see where avocado and runny eggs meet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I wonder when the eggs Benedict became so fashionable. And don’t get me started on runny eggs with avocado. I really can’t be doing with them

I’m with you on fried bread EM but IMHO it has to be cooked in lard or bacon fat.

I really dislike both eggs Benedict and avocado on toast with or without egg.
Yes, of course, that's what bacon or sausage fat is for! I'm very happy with egg, sausage, tomato and fried bread.

Postby miss mouse » Wed May 25, 2022 10:43 pm

liketocook wrote:I do love a cooked breakfast especially for dinner. :yum

Much better idea, I fall asleep after eating, always have.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 26, 2022 9:05 am

We stayed at a hotel in Cornwall recently and they had Hogs pudding as well as kedgeree and kidneys.

I’m very fond of kippers from Cley. :yum

There was a lovely place in Vancouver, Scoozi’s, that did magnificent ’Benny eggs’ amongst other things. Unfortunately it closed at the end of last year, having opened in the 80s :(

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 26, 2022 9:25 am

I'd forgotten kedgeree and kidneys. Another 2 favourites. I should have been born in the Jeeves era.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox