Register

Air Fryers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Air Fryers

Postby mistakened » Mon May 23, 2022 3:01 pm

I know that Air Fryers have been discussed before and have read the relevant threads. I have also read assorted on line reports. Has anyone got any up to date opinions, please?

Moira.

Re: Air Fryers

Postby Pampy » Mon May 23, 2022 3:32 pm

I have a Tefal Actifry, which I've had for a few years. I've never tried any others but am more than happy with the one I've got. I think Amy has started to use one and her food photos always looks really good - don't know which one she uses though.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 am

I have just bought a 'Vortex Mini' from the Instant Pot range..... this is quite compact, probably better for single person use. However I am enjoying playing with it. It Air fries, bakes and re-heats.

So far I have 'roasted' parboiled, oiled and frozen potatoes, air-fried a couple of chicken drumsticks and baked shortbread and scones. (The scones need a bit of development ;) ) I am impressed at the speed it gets to heat to the chosen temperature and usually cooks quicker too.

This is small enough to sit alongside my bread machine. I think standard Air-Fryers are quite big, so you need the space either to store, or stand out on a unit.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 27, 2022 10:49 am

I looked into it a bit during lockdown, the Phillips air fryers seem to be the most popular among the other foodies I heard about, and that’s what I was considering, just the basic one

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/philips-hd ... 38QAvD_BwE

Postby patpoyntz » Fri May 27, 2022 10:54 am

We have just bought a Ninja air fryer, a small one. So far I’ve cooked pork chops on a bed of peppers, onions and courgettes, worked very well, chicken thighs, which came out really crispy and tender, and last night I did sausages, which really were beautiful and cooked so evenly, I said if we never use it for anything else, it’s worth it for sausages alone. So, far I’m very impressed. It was a big decision to buy it, as I have a small galley kitchen and gadgets really have to prove their worth. I’d love to hear of other ideas and recipes.
I’m hoping that apart from cooking so nicely, it will save electricity, as I do a lot of ‘tray bake’ types of dishes in the oven.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 am

Josh has a Ninja. He bought it when he still lived with us and he really rates it.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 27, 2022 11:56 am

I've had a Tower Air Fryer for nearly two years https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9460452?clickPR=plp:2:9 and it's past the "earns it's space" test and I'll definitely replace when it dies. Really good for heating up things liked pies, cooking breaded frozen fish and makes great baked spuds. The only thing I've been less keen on was roast chicken thighs, I found it hard to get them cooked through without being over done on the outside but that may cooks error on my part. I do fancy one of the two compartment Ninjas but would struggle to find the space for it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm

How easy to clean/wash are all the different air fryers? Do they all have removable parts and no horrible nooks and crannies?

Postby scullion » Fri May 27, 2022 1:29 pm

we have a halogen oven thing, that i think works on the same principal. they do oven chips far better (and more cheaply than the oven). they can be picked up really cheaply on 'marketplace'.

Postby patpoyntz » Fri May 27, 2022 2:08 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:How easy to clean/wash are all the different air fryers? Do they all have removable parts and no horrible nooks and crannies?

I’m really pleased with it cleaning wise. It has a ceramic bowl with an easily removed grill rack inside. Very easy to wash and nothing has stuck so far.
I grill quite a lot of food, and it’s so much easier than washing the grill pan.

The chicken thighs I did at a lower temp and turned them over half way through. They were perfectly cooked, but they were not huge.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 27, 2022 2:39 pm

I started the original thread.
And have used mine loads. Baked potatoes, chips - we have them occasionally when we have steak.

Very clean cooking. Everything goes into the dishwasher.

I've bought the 4 x skewer rack, which helps with baked potatoes.

And am aware there is a huge following for cooking entire meals in the air fryer. I haven't embraced that side of it yet.

Scotch eggs are lovely done in there.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm

patpoyntz wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:How easy to clean/wash are all the different air fryers? Do they all have removable parts and no horrible nooks and crannies?

I’m really pleased with it cleaning wise. It has a ceramic bowl with an easily removed grill rack inside. Very easy to wash and nothing has stuck so far.
I grill quite a lot of food, and it’s so much easier than washing the grill pan.

The chicken thighs I did at a lower temp and turned them over half way through. They were perfectly cooked, but they were not huge.

Mine too has a pull out drawer with a small rack that fits inside. They are both coated with a non stick finish and so far cleaning as just been a case of rinsing under the tap. Or, after sausages, just let the rack soak in the drawer to soften up the residue first.

Edited to add: mine has dimensions no bigger than a sheet of A4 paper

Postby mistakened » Fri May 27, 2022 4:13 pm

Patsy, it is a Ninja Air Fryer that use, correct?

Moira

Postby patpoyntz » Fri May 27, 2022 5:54 pm

mistakened wrote:Patsy, it is a Ninja Air Fryer that use, correct?

Moira

Not sure if it’s me or Patsy you are asking, but this is mine….

https://www.johnlewis.com/ninja-af100uk ... y/p4846470

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 27, 2022 6:01 pm

I think Patsy’s was an Instant Pot.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 28, 2022 11:47 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I think Patsy’s was an Instant Pot.

Yes it is, called specifically a Vortex Mini. The make Instant Pot is trade-marked, so I suspect Vortex Mini is too .

Postby scullion » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:50 pm

the programme 'sliced bread' radio 4, at the moment, is comparing air fryers to conventional fan ovens etc.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:37 am

scullion wrote:the programme 'sliced bread' radio 4, at the moment, is comparing air fryers to conventional fan ovens etc.

And what did they conclude?? Do you have one, scullion? I'm interested in a veggie view-point.
Still trying to decide if it's worth the space it takes up - I'm sure OH doesn't think so!!

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:42 am

the conclusion was that if you are cooking for one or two people then (for some things) it was half the price, in electricity, to use instead of the fan oven. it's worth listening to if you can access bbc radio.

we have a halogen oven - they cook in the same way as an air fryer.
i haven't been really adventurous with it but oven chips are far better than those done in the fan oven and the vegetarian bacon i made, a while back, cooked up well and crisped nicely.
we haven't got a microwave and it does defrost and cook stuff quicker than the oven.
the downside is the space it takes up.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:32 am

scullion wrote:the conclusion was that if you are cooking for one or two people then (for some things) it was half the price, in electricity, to use instead of the fan oven. it's worth listening to if you can access bbc radio.

we have a halogen oven - they cook in the same way as an air fryer.
i haven't been really adventurous with it but oven chips are far better than those done in the fan oven and the vegetarian bacon i made, a while back, cooked up well and crisped nicely.

Thanks for that scullion. I did manage to listen to the BBC radio programme - thanks Google!
It was interesting and I am tempted. Just the space it takes up makes it a bit problematic in the rather small kitchen we have now! Not enough bench space to leave it out so it would have to go in the pantry.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox