Register

Air Fryers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Air Fryers

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:58 am

Rainbow wrote:Thanks for that scullion. I did manage to listen to the BBC radio programme - thanks Google!
It was interesting and I am tempted. Just the space it takes up makes it a bit problematic in the rather small kitchen we have now! Not enough bench space to leave it out so it would have to go in the pantry.

Would it fit in the oven, on a tray perhaps ? My Vortex Mini just fits alongside the breadmaker, Instant Pot and toaster on the other side of the kitchen, away from the sink, hob and main work surface.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:16 pm

I think Sliced Bread is handy, I listened to Air Fryer and to Electric Toothbrush (cue Max Bygrave...)

The Prof who was obsessed with air fryer chicken nearly got me down to Currys but I really do have a problem with somewhere to put it, and as my microwave is a combi, there would be some duplication of function

The battery in my electric toothbrush will die soon I think, it needs charging very often now, so it was good to know that it is probably sensible to replace it, as planned, with yet another basic Oral B which means I have spare UK and EU charging bases that will work with it, having an EU is very handy when travelling as adaptors are bulky and heavy

Postby mistakened » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:26 pm

I am confused, my original question was about air fryers but most of the responses seem to include one as part of another piece of equipment. Given that space is at a premium, is it worth me buying one?

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 pm

I think only Patsy's Instant Pot Vortex thingumajig is a combination piece, all the rest are actual standalone air fryers, e.g. patpyntz Ninja

Can you listen to the Sliced Bread radio programme - it is really helpful
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07012sf

But to summarise, they cook well and do use less electricity than a conventional oven, the professor said it was alsmost worth it to cook cone or two chicken legs, juicy inside and shatteringly crisp skin

The writer of this new list of best models spoke on the programme, she doesn't think you need to go for top of the range

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/best-air-fryers

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Mine is a stand alone air fryer, which I think Patsy has, but a different make. It does have settings for roasting, reheating and dehydrating, but I’ve only used the air fryer so far. Space really is a premium in my tiny kitchen, but I got rid of my round enamel bread bin, which was rarely used anyway, and the air fryer has tucked into that corner under the wall cupboards very neatly. Only you can decide how much you will use it really and whether it would benefit your style of cooking. I’ve hardly had my oven on since getting it and have not used my grill. Yesterday was a bit of an impromptu lunch for family and I didn’t want to wait for the bbq to heat up so I air fried a couple of really thick rump steaks to slice thinly and serve with salad etc. They were perfectly rare and really well browned outside.I also did some tandoori marinated chicken wings and would have done wedges if I hadn’t had some long awaited delicious Ayrshire new potatoes. I was delighted with everything, no heat or smell in the kitchen, and no messy grill to clean. During the week I did pork souvlaki. OH likes his morning bacon cooked in it….comes out nice and crispy and ungreasy. I am going to experiment a bit more with baking scones etc, but too much to do in garden to spend time in the kitchen.

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:01 pm

I might have been wrong about Patsys being stand alone…..

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:39 pm

patpoyntz wrote:I might have been wrong about Patsys being stand alone…..

No, you are correct Pat :thumbsup

It is made by Instant Pot and I have the original one of those too. Mine is a Vortex mini that air-fries, bakes and re-heats - in a fraction of time it takes in my normal oven :thumbsup . I have made shortbread in mine, but due to it's size, I am restricted to .what trays I can use. What I have done most of is air-frying boiled (baby) potatoes - fish is good too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:49 pm

It wa smy misunderstanding, IP have made a converter lid for IP, but the standalone model is mentioned in the BBC Good Food round up of good buys I linked to above
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/best-air-fryers

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:03 pm

The Instant Vortex Dual mentioned is the de-lux version of what I have which is a baby in comparison ... mine was £50 on offer from Robert Dyas - only one drawer but big enough for 2 portions of potatoes/chips, or 6 sausages, although 2 fillets of fish might be pushing it a bit.

You can get different lids, but my Instant Pot (pressure/slow cooker) is too old for that and some of them are only available in the US and would invalidate any warranty if used here in the UK ..

Postby mistakened » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm

Thank you, investigations continue.

Moira

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox