Register

Essential toolbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Essential toolbox

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 22, 2022 1:39 pm

OK. So if I move I am going to need a very basic toolbox even though I am hopeless at that sort of thing. Storage is not great at the chavvy house so what would you recommend that, as a single girl, I put in my box. OH is bound to have it/them so I need to make sure I don't have to rebuy.

Am thinking hammer, pliers, screwdrivers.

Re: Essential toolbox

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 22, 2022 2:23 pm

Will be interested to see what the more expert diy types suggest

But my basic list is both slot and cross head screwdrivers, a small to medium claw hammer, possibly a heavier hammer, pliers (possibly both heavy blunt and small pointy ones), and if you have one of those thingies for stripping the insulation off and trimming electric flex it’s so much easier than pliers.

I find I use an awl quite a lot for starting screws, but a small power drill and set of bits is worth having in the house, a tradesman will bring his own, but if it’s on the spot you can get someone to do a small thing like putting up a coat hook or knife rack

Spirit level or said knife rack will irritate you forever

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Phillips and flat screwdrivers. Large and small.

Postby scullion » Sun May 22, 2022 3:08 pm

it depends on the type of things you intend to do or whether you can just get one or your young to come and do it - or the more major stuff, anyway.
if it's the bare minimum then a leatherman/gerber tool is really useful.
if you intend to do a little diy then a set of screwdrivers and alan/hex keys, a medium sizes claw hammer, a couple of adjustable spanners, a stanley knife and a folding saw.
the list is endless, really, - among other gadgets my partner really loves his pneumatic concrete drill and i use mole grips, a jewellers saw and needle files quite often - we have a lot of tools between us as we make/do stuff quite often but i wouldn't suggest you'd need those.
maybe if you think of the things, in the last five years, that you've needed tools for and start from there.
if you intend to use a screwdriver often then an electric one could be useful if your wrists are less than perfect.

ps i think there's a spirit level on a smart phone - there is on an iPhone, in the measure app, so you may not really need one of those!.

Postby Suelle » Sun May 22, 2022 3:22 pm

I'm trying to think what I've used over the last few years, for emergency bodges or light repairs. Any tradesperson will come equipped if you need them for major work.

Allen keys? I have a chair where the fittings work loose with time, and needs an allen key to fix it.

Screw drivers - the size of screws are many and various - a multiheaded screwdriver set is useful, rather than several different ones, if space for storage is a problem.

Tape measure - the DIY type that can be locked into position.

A soft rubber-headed mallet for when you need force to move something but don't want to damage it.

Stanley knife
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:35 pm

I've been doing a fair bit of DIY. And it really does depend on how much you plan to do, or feel able to do.

As I've got older, I've found the "hop-up" more and more useful. Either to use as a low stand when changing light bulbs as well as painting ceilings. Today I used it as a table when working on the car. It saves having to put tools on the ground, or in the car. Something like this https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=ho ... 20platform You can use a chair, but this is safer.

The other thing I've found is that the UK tended to standardise on Posidrive screws, but more recently, cheaper items that are made in China seem to come with Philips head screws. The two cross-head types are now very compatible. Even is you only change batteries, you may find you need the right one to remove the cover.

As my hands get a bit more arthritic, screwdrivers with T handles are easier. I haven't got any yet, but they are on the list. Something like this, but Silverline are not top quality https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/7011379963

Someone mentioned Allen keys. If you have PVC windows and doors, you will need a 4mm and 5mm allen key. The 4mm adjust the closure stops to keep out draughts, and the 5mm will allow you to adjust the door up and down. Sometimes the deadlocks need the height adjusting. Nothing worse than finding the door won't lock.

Some small files.

If you can do electrics, the screwdrivers should be 1000v insulated, and you will need pliers that can cut wires.

If you don't want a set of spanners, a couple of adjustable ones will be fine.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 22, 2022 6:42 pm

I don’t intend doing ANY DIY. I would be useless. I just need a box of stuff for absolutely emergencies. Sorry for not making myself clear. And I will have next to no storage space. One small toolbox only.

Postby aero280 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm

OK then! :)

A set of mixed screwdrivers.
A set of metric Allen keys.
One larger, one small adjustable spanner.
Long nose pliers.
Junior hacksaw.

Postby Wic » Sun May 22, 2022 7:33 pm

My husband has every tool known to man - that may be an exaggeration, but not a big one - but if I want something I can never find it. So years ago I made myself my own toolbox.

I have large and small flathead and Phillips type screwdrivers, a tape measure, a Stanley knife, a claw hammer, a little saw, a selection of nails and tacks and some pliers. Ikea did a good set of tools, and now it’s got an even better one.

My toolbox was well hidden, but one day he came across it. I caught him as he was just squirrelling it away and had to wrest it from his grip!

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 22, 2022 7:43 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:OK. So if I move I am going to need a very basic toolbox even though I am hopeless at that sort of thing. Storage is not great at the chavvy house so what would you recommend that, as a single girl, I put in my box. OH is bound to have it/them so I need to make sure I don't have to rebuy.

Am thinking hammer, pliers, screwdrivers.

Spare chav.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm

The things I use most from my toolbox I think have all been mentioned. Pliers, cutters, hammer (preferably claw), average sized screwdrivers with Phillips and flat heads, an electric screwdriver (one if my best ever buys), tiny screwdriver set - the sort you get in Christmas crackers - I use quite a bit. Spirit level (they're very cheap), Stanley knife, smaller craft knife, small saw (although the serrated side of the Kitchen Devils bread knife purchased in 1984 deals with a lot of things), braddal, a thing like a braddal which has a head like a corkscrew and can make small holes without using a drill, allan key set, adjustable spanner or wrench. With DD now living in the town I no longer use a larger saw or electric drill.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 22, 2022 8:29 pm

Wic wrote:My husband has every tool known to man - that may be an exaggeration, but not a big one - but if I want something I can never find it. So years ago I made myself my own toolbox.

I have large and small flathead and Phillips type screwdrivers, a tape measure, a Stanley knife, a claw hammer, a little saw, a selection of nails and tacks and some pliers. Ikea did a good set of tools, and now it’s got an even better one.

My toolbox was well hidden, but one day he came across it. I caught him as he was just squirrelling it away and had to wrest it from his grip!

Are we marred to the same man?

Postby Wic » Sun May 22, 2022 9:09 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:
Are we marred to the same man?
[/quote]

Uh-oh …

Postby scullion » Sun May 22, 2022 9:13 pm

well, that's three of us!
when our son was born i started to buy him a tool for each christmas and birthday. before he was six my partner came across the box and that was the end of the collection.
quite a few of my tools have disappeared into the ether, too.
he never puts things back after he uses them and then can't find them again. it drives me mad when i go to use something and it's gone.

Postby Wic » Sun May 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Oh, dear. Triplets.

Postby Rainbow » Mon May 23, 2022 12:40 am

I bought myself this Ikea basic kit, so I had a few things in the house and didn't have to go hunting through the shed (very large shed, when we had one!!).
My partner is actually very good at keeping things in their place and usually knows where to find things.

I find this very handy - I know you don't want to buy one, PP, but the contents of this set cover most things I've wanted, and they've all stayed in their correct places for years!!

It contains: "Hammer with separate rubber casing, adjustable spanner, combination pliers, bits screwdriver with bits for slotted, cross-headed, allen screws and bradawl."

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fixa-17-pi ... -00169254/

Postby aero280 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am

A sharp Stanley knife is a good idea. But the original design is fiddly to change blades. I prefer one with retractable snap off blades, like this sort of thing.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-knif ... eces/4543x

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-re ... nife/9614v

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 23, 2022 12:03 pm

I have a muddle of tools, some mine, some from OH’s family, some my father’s. I think I’m going to do a basic tool box and pack the rest into crates, I think I have found a local charity that will collect them

I’m with aero on the Stanley knife, I actually find a £1 box cutter easier to use, I don’t know what kind of steel Stanley use, but they rust in the British climate however you store them

Looking at Rainbow’s link I’ll add one of those selection boxes of screws and fixings., I always have a pack of plug fuses, not sure I’d be very confident rewiring a plug now but if anything stops working I take out the fuse, chuck it and fit a new one. Sometimes works.

Postby Amber » Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm

I second Christmas cracker screwdriver sets. :thumbsup

Postby Amber » Mon May 23, 2022 4:47 pm

I second Christmas cracker screwdriver sets. :thumbsup

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox