Register

Chorizo

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Chorizo

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Just a quickie, please. I've seen a recipe in a tapas book, for a chorizo and sun dried tomato loaf. It merely says may be eaten warm or cold. I thought it might make an interesting addition to our street party, but thought I'd better field test it first. I'm worried about left over slices, given that meat is involved - as it's a tapas book, I imagine they didn't consider the loaf would be made for one. Should I refrigerate them, and bring to room temperature, before eating, do you think?

Re: Chorizo

Postby scullion » Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm

is this a bread loaf?
if so, the gluten will crystallise in the fridge and the bread will go hard - better to freeze it.
if it's a 'meatloaf' sort of thing. why not make the full recipe, do your test and if it's good enough for public consumption as is, freeze it and bring it out on party day. if not you can slowly make it disappear in stews etc.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Thanks Scully - it's a bread loaf, using SR flour, eggs, milk and olive oil. I didn't know about the gluten issue, and asit's quite small - 8 X 4 inch tin, I'll probably have a few for myself, and pester the neighbours.

Postby Suelle » Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Thanks Scully - it's a bread loaf, using SR flour, eggs, milk and olive oil. I didn't know about the gluten issue, and asit's quite small - 8 X 4 inch tin, I'll probably have a few for myself, and pester the neighbours.

Does it use fresh chorizo or the preserved sort which is more like salami? I agree that refrigerating isn't the best option for anything with flour in it. If the loaf contains the preserved chorizo I think it would be fine out of the fridge for a couple of days.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 17, 2022 1:09 pm

Chorizo is to be left out of the fridge.
When I had a visit from my Pamplona friend, he went loopy (seriously) that my chorizo and my jamon were in the fridge.
And put them in the downstairs dark cupboard during his stay. Touchy! ;)

Cooking chorizo is raw, but I doubt this would be chopped and put into a loaf. It's likely you mean the chorizo that we slice and eat.

T'will be fine like any loaf you cook and leave out.
It may be a bit pink? Your loaf sounds very good indeed.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 pm

Thanks both - it's the stuff that comes in a link, not cooking chorizo. All worries now resolved. thanks again.

Postby Suelle » Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Thanks both - it's the stuff that comes in a link, not cooking chorizo. All worries now resolved. thanks again.

If it works, perhaps you could share the recipe - I really like savoury loaves in the summer.

Better if there's a link to an online recipe, so if you prefer, just the name of the recipe and cookery book would enable me to search.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 pm

The book is a Hamlyn All Colour Cook book - "200 tapas and Spanish Dishes". It's "Chorizo and tomato Loaf". I would have typed it out for you, but I suspect that could get us into copyright trouble.

Postby scullion » Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Yes! Ace researcher Scullion.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm

I wouldn’t really call that a bread loaf - it’s actually a variation on the classic French ham and cheese cake, which I’ve made a few times
If I wanted to keep some of it for future lunches I think I’d freeze fairly thick slices individually wrapped and just take one out shortly before I needed it

Incidentally, the recipe says 125g cooked chorizo sausage, chopped and while I’d be tempted to just chop and chuck in some of Lidl’s excellent “chorizo salami” (sic) I think it is probably better to cook out excess grease

Postby Suelle » Tue May 17, 2022 5:29 pm

Thank you - just the type of 'cake salé' that I like. :thumbsup And thank you, Gruney, for bringing it to my attention.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 17, 2022 6:37 pm

Looking at the recipe and also at the common Spanish tapas ingredients listed at the top of the excerpt - would say that the recipe uses what they call semi-cured chorizo, ie raw or cooking chorizo as mentioned by Gill, that is cooked before adding to the dough mixture.

It will have a similar texture to any type of sausage meat when cooked. The book ingredient intro suggests cooking the semi cured chorizo in a little sherry, so guessing this is also a suggestion as to what is in the recipe.

I'd wrap in foil or paper and refrigerate after baking and allowing to cool thoroughly. Might even pre slice. Should keep well for a good several days like that in the fridge.

Is this for your Jubilee steet party, Gruney? How many would you need to bake and how far ahead of time?

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Thanks ZeroCok. Yes - if the trial run looks ok, I'll make one for the Jubilee party -just as an extra - my main contribution will be a load of roasted pork belly slices. The issue of leftovers won't apply to the party - i was worrying about when I make the trial run for just myself and my pal from over the road.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Roasted pork belly slices sounds delicious Gruney. Asked about timeframes because you can make ahead. Stokey Sue mentioned French ham and cheese cakes - very similar and keep really well.

For e.g.
https://foodnouveau.com/french-savory-cake/

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 17, 2022 8:04 pm

ETA - never have come across Spanish savoury breads as tapas -(apart from bakeries, Spanish not known to be big on baking) so French savoury loaf methods and suggestions are probably a good place to look for pointers.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Feedback - I made it this morning. It turned out a bit denser than I had anticipated, but bang full of flavour - a glass of red would have been perfect. The lad over the road couldn't get enough of it. Thanks again for all the help.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox