Register

Replacing Neff oven light

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Replacing Neff oven light

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:29 pm

I've been battling with our Neff built-in oven trying to remove the light cover so I could replace the bulb.
Last time this happened I spoke to customer service and they sent me a tool and gave me instructions on heating up the oven and then trying.

It did actually work, a couple of years ago.

But now I need to do it again and haven't had any success. I found this help thread - as well as ideas it also provided some light relief - but I haven't succeeded with any of the ones I've tried yet.
https://www.howtomendit.com/answers?id=197323

While I recover my strength for another go at it, I wondered if any of you had managed easily and if so, what you did!

Re: Replacing Neff oven light

Postby aero280 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:06 pm

If it's flat,but unscrews, do you have a suction cup you can stick to it? I have an old windscreen suction cup from a dead satnav that I've stuck on things to push/pull/unscrew. Or something like the base of a worktop mincer?

Postby Suelle » Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 pm

The same thing happened to me, a couple of years ago. I gave up in the end, nothing seemed to work. Perhaps something happens as the oven ages, as I'm sure the light had been replaced once since new.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amber » Fri May 13, 2022 11:33 pm

I bought a new oven :oops: .

But seriously, I think something is very wrong if you can’t easily replace a light bulb. I couldn’t either, but managed to get mine replaced as part of another call-out. I haven’t checked, but I have a feeling my brand new Siemens oven needs an engineer to replace the bulb :roll: . Who designs these things???

Postby Rainbow » Sat May 14, 2022 12:06 am

Men :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 14, 2022 12:31 am

Isn’t the new right to repair supposed to discourage this? Things have to be repairable, and the parts have to be available

I remember there was a washing machine (possibly Hoover?) that was notorious for having a detergent drawer that couldn’t be replaced without virtually rebuilding the machine, and which invariably cracked because it was jammed in!

Postby dennispc » Sat May 14, 2022 9:38 am

Rainbow wrote:Men :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap :clap

though perhaps it’s men who don’t cook.

Postby dennispc » Sat May 14, 2022 9:43 am

Our once a year oven cleaning man did it if necessary.

Manufacturers were given two years grace to get themselves sorted, so July 2023.

Postby Suffs » Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 am

But I wouldn't call replacing a light bulb a repair ...... any more than putting a new battery in a car or oil in an engine would be a repair .... they're 'renewal of consumables' .... general maintenance ... I don't expect to have to call an expert to put a new bulb in my standard lamp .

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 14, 2022 10:04 am

It’s part of a continuum surely?

A battery is definitely a consumable, but a light bulb in an appliance other than a light fitting I could argue either way for the sake of debate.

But the point is for the right to repair campaign it’s part of the deal, that things should be designed for routine maintenance, but right to maintain doesn’t sound as snappy as the two Rs

Postby scullion » Sat May 14, 2022 10:10 am

I think I turned off the light when I set up my neff so I wouldn’t know if it was ‘gone’ or not.
On the odd occasion I’ve needed a light I get a torch.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 14, 2022 10:41 am

aero's suction idea sounds helpful. Like many, I have a designated sucker thing for changing spotlight bulbs (also not designed for ease of changing, a job I really hate). It makes sense.

I used to be able to change the bulbs on car lights easily. Now I have to go to a garage and they have to move all sorts of bits to access them. I agree with Suffs, a light bulb anywhere will probably need replacing at some point and is thus a consumable which should be easy for anyone to change - how to do it should be included in the cooker instructions too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 14, 2022 12:05 pm

Maybe Neff have changed the design over the past 15 years or so, but our top oven has had 2 replacement bulbs. The glass cover is held in place by a couple of spring clips. It’s removed by popping open the lower clip - I have used a screwdriver.

The lower oven has had the cover replaced once - the original shattered. That is also a clip fit but I didn’t have to remove it of course.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:04 pm

We've had ours about 4 or 5 years, I think. Definitely pre-Covid.
scullion wrote:On the odd occasion I’ve needed a light I get a torch.

I've tried that, but the glass door is not really see through as it has some sort of close cross-hatching. And the whole point of a light is that you don't need to open the oven, of course.

The instruction manual only gives you instructions for if it unscrews easily, not if it's stuck. They say you can get a special tool for it, which I have, but doesn't help. The tool has channels to accommodate the ridges on the light cover but when it doesn't budge, they don't hold it stable but it just pops out and makes you think you've succeeded because it appears to turn!

It is clearly a bad design flaw, judging by that help thread I found on the internet, and also of your various experiences.

I remember when I changed it last time, once it moved it was ridiculously easy to change. I obviously gave it a good scrub and got rid of all the accumulated burnt stuff before replacing it. I wonder if I turned on the grill, the proximity of the elements to the light might help to unstick it. But it would also mean I'dhave to be even more careful not to get burnt.

Postby Pampy » Sat May 14, 2022 2:49 pm

You could try using a hairdryer.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 14, 2022 2:56 pm

Yes, Pampy, I was wondering about that, and I think one of the people on the help thread I found mentioned that as a possibility.

I wonder if it would be hot enough?

Postby Pampy » Sat May 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Not sure - although mine gets quite hot. Worth a try though.

Postby Wic » Sun May 15, 2022 8:21 pm

I don’t know whether it helps, but we have an ancient Rangemaster. When the light went we found that to remove the glass covering and change the bulb we had to unscrew it, BUT it unscrewed in the opposite direction to normal. Totally counter intuitive and very unhelpful!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:24 pm

We've tried both directions and all it does is shuffle what feels like about a quarter of an inch ...

Postby scullion » Sun May 15, 2022 11:42 pm

have you looked at any of the videos on you tube?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing+bulb+in+neff+oven

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox