Register

Street Parties.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Street Parties.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:41 pm

We'll be having a small gathering to celebrate the Jubilee - about 20. I've just been told it's going to take place on my drive - it's quite wide, and would accommodate three cars,with grass to the side, and would be fine for tables and chairs. The ladies have been visiting, getting numbers, and who's bringing what - I'm going to provide a load of pork belly rashers slow roasted with fennel seeds and chilli flakes - as per Nigella's "Nigellisima" - ideal for the occasion. What I'm unsure of, is how to keep them warm, when they're outside. I've seen adverts for "Chaffing Dishes" - which seem a bit expensive for a one off. Any ideas, please?

Re: Street Parties.

Postby Suelle » Sun May 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Have any of your friends or neighbours got anything suitable?

Many years ago we had a food warming stand heated by 2 tea lights
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284793238544 ... SwXhFiOh3T

If you ask around you might be surprised by what people have at the back of their cupboards.

You can keep food warm for a while if it's well wrapped in foil, then covered by a thick towel, but it's more difficult to keep it warm once you start serving.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 08, 2022 8:20 pm

I think the candle stand is a good idea, like you used to get in Chinese restaurants!

I have an elderly Brabantia one, worth asking your neighbours if they have one tucked away, and you do see them in charity shops and jumble sales
but avoid "vintage" or "retro" sales where they would be more expensive than the current £30

I htink you can get pads you heat in the microwave, but I can't currently see one

Postby Gruney2 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:50 am

Thanks both.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 09, 2022 10:34 am

It sounds very ambitious to serve hot food (apart from a BBQ). It sounds quite a sophisticated event!

It's all afternoon teas round here.

Postby Uschi » Mon May 09, 2022 7:17 pm

You can get very basic stainless steel stands for those mini-spirit stoves for very little money. It is excellent for keeping food warm, but also for energy outages.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 10, 2022 12:36 pm

If you could safely run an extension lead outside a slow cooker might be an idea. That said a hot slow cooker stays warm for a while so even if not connected would keep them warm. If there will be other hot items a trestle table with a few slow cookers could be an option. That's what we did for my son's engagement party and although unplugged the food stayed hot for long enough for everyone to be served.

Postby scullion » Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 pm

the 'chinese restaurant' night light, style food warmers can be picked up quite cheaply on 'marketplace' - i'm sure something could be rigged up in a similar style for next to nothing with what you have at home.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks all My rashers will be the only hot food - I thought there would be enough cakes, sandwiches etc. so I decided to contribute with something warm and savoury - finger food style. The night candle warmer was my first thought, but if there was any sort of breeze, I couldn't see it being effective. I also thought about the slow cooker idea, but eventually thought of a simpler idea. My cooker has a slow cooker setting, and as I'll be roasting the rashers, why not simply keep them warm in the oven, on that setting, and nip into the kitchen every once in a while, and bring a good few out?
Why didn't I think of that in the first place, and not pester you all? :roll:

Postby Uschi » Tue May 10, 2022 5:28 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Why didn't I think of that in the first place, and not pester you all? :roll:

Because our minds can do with a bit of excercise??? 8-)

Postby Suffs » Wed May 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Uschi wrote:
Gruney2 wrote:Why didn't I think of that in the first place, and not pester you all? :roll:

Because our minds can do with a bit of excercise??? 8-)

:thumbsup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Thu May 12, 2022 3:58 pm

I think none of the advice given on this board will ever be in vain, if it is not used for the problem at hand, then someone may remember it later or pass it on. Who knows how many new ideas have been engendered by turning a problem over and looking at it from all angles?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox