Register

Stretching a chicken ...

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Stretching a chicken ...

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 02, 2022 4:13 pm

liketocook wrote: My late MIL used to roast a whole chicken use the breasts and ditch the rest sometimes buying two or more chickens if there were a few for Sunday dinner. My ex-OH was mortified when I asked to take the rest home with us...... :roll:

Good for you! My paternal grandmother was brought up carefully and most of her siblings went on to do very well but never lost the frugal touch. The story goes that at my parents' wedding (small wedding, late 1940s so rationing still in) Uncle Fred, who by then was a wealthy stockbroker and drove a Bentley, took the Financial Times from his pocket, collected everyone's chicken bones and wrapped them up to take home :lol: :lol:.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 03, 2022 11:57 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
liketocook wrote: My late MIL used to roast a whole chicken use the breasts and ditch the rest sometimes buying two or more chickens if there were a few for Sunday dinner. My ex-OH was mortified when I asked to take the rest home with us...... :roll:

Good for you! My paternal grandmother was brought up carefully and most of her siblings went on to do very well but never lost the frugal touch. The story goes that at my parents' wedding (small wedding, late 1940s so rationing still in) Uncle Fred, who by then was a wealthy stockbroker and drove a Bentley, took the Financial Times from his pocket, collected everyone's chicken bones and wrapped them up to take home :lol: :lol:.

They went the other way. Both my in-laws were brought up in very poor circumstances but made a comfortable life for themselves. Not flashy folk but wasted a lot of food, house always like a sauna, everything had to be new and offspring somewhat cossetted. A reaction I think to their early lives. I just couldn't bear to see such a lot of meat get binned.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:37 pm

I'm thinking about something along these lines for tonight, with pretty much all the breast meat from an Alison Roman slow roast chicken a few days ago. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/per ... inoa-salad
We've eaten all the bony bits and just have the breasts left :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:We've eaten all the bony bits and just have the breasts left :yum

I eat all the boney bits first too as they are much tastier and moist. I generally end up throwing the breasts in the freezer to await their fate at a later date ;) :lol:

Postby liketocook » Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am

Boney bits are the best. :yum

Postby Seatallan » Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:So many good ideas here.
I have a friend who'd buy M & S chicken, they'd have the breast meat, the dog would have leg meat (plus all the trimmings and gravy, all M & S), then the rest of the bird went in the bin. :shock:

Didn't Cinnamon Sally's MIL do the same? Or was it the Christmas turkey she did that with? (or quite possibly both). I remember Sally posting on the old board about it.

Deffo no waste here. Every scrap used. Don't you just love a chicken? :yum :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 04, 2022 4:35 pm

We've got our fourth meal from a 1.2kg M & S Oakham chicken either this evening or tomorrow lunch, or maybe both, depending what we do!

Postby mistakened » Wed May 04, 2022 4:52 pm

Is it just me or does Stretching a chicken seem faintly obscene. :o

Postby Suffs » Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Not until you mentioned it Moira :shock: :oops:

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 04, 2022 5:24 pm

mistakened wrote:s it just me or does Stretching a chicken seem faintly obscene

Lol - glad I'm not the only one...... :D Every time I see the post I have a quick flash in my head of a poor chicken on The Rack being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition.... :shock:

But then I do have an over-active imagination!

Postby aero280 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:22 pm

Ah! At last! Someone has broken cover! :D

When I saw the title, my first thought was that it was a reference to a Monty Python sketch...

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:57 pm

Would recommend Claudia Roden's Satsivi, chicken with walnut sauce, from her Book of Jewish Food.

We just had that with the end of the chicken and it was terrific, really, really good.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 pm

I keep meaning to try making a walnut sauce. It sounds delicious - I must find that recipe!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 04, 2022 11:21 pm

I like Fesenjan, there are lots of recipes for that including a Claudia Roden one, you can make it with duck or chicken (preferably thighs which are more like duck of course), walnuts and pomegranate molasses

Many of the recipes online make a vast amount of sauce, starting with a pound of walnuts, I don't think you need to do that much!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 20, 2022 4:45 pm

This just caught my fancy for the last breast portion off my current chicken! Off to get some gruyere and mushrooms...

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipe ... m-gougere/

Postby liketocook » Fri May 20, 2022 8:14 pm

Sakkarin wrote:This just caught my fancy for the last breast portion off my current chicken! Off to get some gruyere and mushrooms...

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipe ... m-gougere/

That sounds really good, please report how it was as I fancy trying it. :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm

Well there's no doubt that is comfort food! An awful lot of dairy involved though.

You need a lot of stamina to make choux pastry, my wrists ain't what they used to be, so it's only going to be an occasional treat, I think it's probably years since my last gougere. :-(

Next time I'd pipe the choux, it was a bit of a faff spooning it round the edge of the baking dish. I've now got loads of leftover creme fraiche to use up somehow, and buttermilk too from the Maryland Chicken. Maybe I'll freeze them for Ron.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 pm

That looks pretty good to me Sakkarin

I use the small electric hand mixer for choux, works fine, doubt it would work well by hand for me now

Mind you, the only time I make it is for little cheese gougères, so not often

Postby Busybee » Sat May 21, 2022 9:16 am

We are rather partial to St Mary’s chicken, and it would use up your leftover creme fraiche. It a recipe with huge quantities but I scale it down.

That dish looks so tasty, haven’t made choux pastry since home economics class, might have a go.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... URGwVdRUzR

BB

Postby scullion » Sat May 21, 2022 9:28 am

i, naturally, have nothing whatsoever to add to this conversation other than that every time i read the thread title i imagine the poor hen on a rack, along with leather clad gaolers, in a dungeon.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox