Register

Stretching a chicken ...

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Stretching a chicken ...

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 am

scullion wrote:i, naturally, have nothing whatsoever to add to this conversation other than that every time i read the thread title i imagine the poor hen on a rack, along with leather clad gaolers, in a dungeon.

Same here though my imagined chicken is dead and plucked and this is some fancy dish needing days of prep...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 21, 2022 11:13 am

I think of the Spitting Image dancing chickens, for those with long memories

Postby liketocook » Sat May 21, 2022 11:47 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think of the Spitting Image dancing chickens, for those with long memories

Me too :lol:
Sakkarin wrote:Well there's no doubt that is comfort food! An awful lot of dairy involved though.

You need a lot of stamina to make choux pastry, my wrists ain't what they used to be, so it's only going to be an occasional treat, I think it's probably years since my last gougere. :-(

Next time I'd pipe the choux, it was a bit of a faff spooning it round the edge of the baking dish. I've now got loads of leftover creme fraiche to use up somehow, and buttermilk too from the Maryland Chicken. Maybe I'll freeze them for Ron.

That looks wonderful, hope it tasted as good as it looked. :yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 21, 2022 1:54 pm

nice one, Sakkers.
Choux pastry is one of the most delicious I think. You have to think a lot about what you are doing when you make it though.
I seem to remember we both did a choux recipe back in the Beeb days, but I can't remember what.

Never mind.

Postby Rainbow » Sun May 22, 2022 12:54 am

scullion wrote:i, naturally, have nothing whatsoever to add to this conversation other than that every time i read the thread title i imagine the poor hen on a rack, along with leather clad gaolers, in a dungeon.

Me too, Scullion :lol:
And I wonder what the poor chicken did to deserve it :?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:33 pm

I have a bowl of yummy chicken bits, roast tomatoes and garlic and oregano left over from an Alison Roman slow cooked chicken - probably about 250 g or so.

I fancy turning into some sort of pate.

I found these 2 recipes on the web:

https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-pate-7685 that does actually use cooked chicken

and

https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recip ... icken-pate

Any ideas??

Thx

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm

I like the idea of the creamy cheese as cooked chicken can sometimes be a bit dry when minced or blitzed. It's similar to a fish pate isn't it. The tomato is moist too. I think it would be nice.

I usually turn to Delia for things like that but she doesn't really do anything like that with cooked chicken.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 30, 2022 12:37 pm

This is showing as an Eat Well for Less recipe but I think it was originally from a Good Food magazine many moons ago as it's been my go to for leftover turkey for more years than I care to think about and would work very well with chicken. https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/turkey-pate/ I'd serve the tomatoes separately instead of the cranberry. I usually use curly parsley rather than flatleaf.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:24 pm

That looks really nice, LTC. :thumbsup

I am now a bit concerned that as I made it on Friday, anything I make today should be finished today. We've got a veggie friend staying with us tonight (she eats fish, so I think we're going to get f & c) and I think that OH and I wouldn't get through it all in one go.

I was going to do something yesterday but never got round to it - and I think your recipe is definitely the one I'm going to try.

Hmm ... I guess I can try to find a corner in the freezer ...

Decisions, decisions ...

ETA, maybe I should (re)cook the chicken with the onion, before blitzing it. That might prevent anything nasty from incubating ....

Postby liketocook » Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 pm

I'd just freeze the chicken as is rather than recooking with the onion first.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 30, 2022 2:48 pm

I would too. I'm sure if you whiz up the pate and freeze it it would be ok. Then you can eat it at a more convenient time.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks, both!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Tonight's Chicken, Mushroom & Tomato Lasagne, with homemade spinach pasta. I cut a neat square to take the pic of (on a square plate), but you couldn't see the layers, so I took a pic (bottom one) of what was left! I used a fresh breast for two portions, but you could quite easily sub leftover chicken.

Was inspired to do lasagne by this video, featuring a 90-year-old Italian lady. Looks gorgeous. Will make her version soon, need to get some red wine in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTrEpVKhKM

Also made Busybee's recommended chicken a few days back. Prep time virtually zero, as everything goes in at once, and straight in the oven. It didn't thicken up as per the recipe video, it sort of semi split and the sauce was a bit runny as a result, but tasty though.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:08 am

By the way, I just made the pork lasagne to the old lady's method (although made some tweaks and made ordinary pasta, very thin).

Unlike the lady's recipe, loads of garlic went straight in as did loads of sage, and I added onions/celery/carrot at the start. And chicken stock because that's all I had.

Seriously the best lasagne I've ever made (although the seafood lasagne I made in a college exam was prettier).

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/pork-lasagne.jpg

Whoops, not about chicken...

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:02 am

I've always wondered if chicken lasagne would be as flavoursome as pork or a mix of pork and beef (I've never had any). I'd think you'd need to up the flavourings a little. The video looks very good.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:09 pm

I kept a list of what I used for them both, the chicken one was 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 each chilli powder and basil for 240g chicken/160g flour weight pasta and 240ml milk bechamel + 80g cheese. I think I might have added a pinch of chipotle flakes, and used a WHOLE can of tomatoes. The pork one I only used half.

This was the first time I'd ever tried lasagne with pork mince, and I'm converted! It's funny how different minces suit different dishes. My favourite keema curry really has to be lamb, it tastes wrong with beef, but moussaka I find both pork and beef equally fab. Coincidentally I tried some Ma Po's Tofu made with pork the other day, my verdict, that really needs to be beef.

Hmm. Maybe next on the agenda Chile Con Carne made with turkey mince and shunted towards Moleishness...

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Now that would be interesting. I find turkey mince to be extremely bland so a highly spiced recipe would be ideal.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm

I make a chicken, peanut and parsley lasagne - love it!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 pm

How on earth do the peanuts feature!?! The mind boggles!

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:36 pm

I've posted the recipe before. Peanuts are chopped and added along with parsley and chicken in a béchamel sauce. It's good and a great way to use left-over chicken.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox