Register

Pork Casserole

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pork Casserole

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:00 pm

I'll be having an old pal and his wife staying for a couple of days in a couple of weeks time, and thinking about catering. There are two issues - the lady is a really unadventurous eater, and the husband likes to have his meal ready as soon as we get back from the pub. Casseroles are the obvious solution - it can be in the oven, on automatic, to switch off at the required time, and won't come to any harm if we're a bit late getting back. I've seen a recipe for pork and apples, in cider, and I think that would do nicely - I quite fancy it myself! The recipe is simplicity itself, my only question being what would be the most appropriate cut of pork to use - the recipe merely says 1kg of diced pork. A recipe I use for a similar dish, involves a pork knuckle, rather a lot of olive oil and halved tomatoes - a couple of no nos there. What cut do you think would be the most approprite, please?

Re: Pork Casserole

Postby miss mouse » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:10 pm

I'd use pork shoulder and do it in the slow cooker if you have one.

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:30 pm

I agree ... pork shoulder is the cut I'd use. :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm

If you’re using pork I can only point you in Delia’s direction. This has been a staple in our house for forty years. She uses shoulder and I don’t see why you shouldn’t add apples at some stage.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... egar-sauce

Postby miss mouse » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: She uses shoulder and I don’t see why you shouldn’t add apples at some stage.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... egar-sauce

Particularly as cider is in there. Nice looking recipe.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:41 pm

Shoulder, or my preferred cut for pork casserole was always spare rib chops if available, but they seem to have disappeared at least in London

Postby Seatallan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:32 pm

Another vote for shoulder. :thumbsup

If you're after another pork recipe, this one (it's a Delia originally) is lovely. I often do it when we're entertaining. It can sit quite happily if you're running late and it goes a treat with saffron rice.

http://www.candlonline.co.uk/Recipes/spanish%20pork.htm
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone - very grateful.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:42 am

Ditto all the above.
And go for nice, easy, quick 'sides'. Tesco or Aldi frozen mash is very acceptable, done in the microwave with milk/butter added at the end. Frozen veg are also very convenient.

What about a beef or lamb shepherd's pie for the second day? Can be made in advance and popped in the oven on a timer. You can also add all the veg in the mince, too.
Enjoy seeing your pals, Gruney.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 am

Did somebody mention my favourite meat = Pork!

When I made a roasted pork celebration meal, I used a large loin, stuffed and rolled with pinenuts and something else herby, can't quite remember.

But the stars were the baked cipollini onions (shallots).
Zerocook mentioned them to me, roasted whole and peeled in red wine, balsamic and rosemary.
My sister who was in charge of "periodically shaking them" kept popping one in her mouth, she couldn't resist.
Luckily there were plenty.

I tend to serve big family meals buffet-style in the kitchen. And people take their plates to the table and enjoy (hopefully).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Porkishness...

My birthday treat to myself back in March was Chinese Crispy Pork Belly, absolutely love it but it's far too saturated fatty to eat regularly. When I bought the belly, I happened to get to the Tesco meat counter just as the guy had put out some half price belly, so I got *two kilos of it for six quid. I literally pigged out all week...

YESTERDAY'S porky treat to myself was a ham hock, which involves a six-mile cycle to the nearest Morrisons. Again pigged out, but I've saved enough of the ham to go with the turkey thigh I froze as a Christmas leftover to make a turkey and ham pie next time I ham hocked.

P.S. Odd thing, the girl at the checkout in Morrisons made a big thing of looking disgusted and picking up the ham hock pack with the very tips of her fingers, and holding it at arms length as she rung it up. I guess probably a Muslim, it scares me to think that if religious foibles were in play, pork might be illegal. Having said that, Bushey where I live has one of the highest Jewish populations in the country, and I can remember my confusion when I moved here 40 years ago that some of the local Butchers/Fishmongers didn't sell shellfish, lobster or pork.

EDITED: *It was two kilos, not a kilo...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm

Morrison's Stamford Hill, home of the charedi (sometime called ultra-orthodox or Hassidic) Jews was crammed yesterday, first day back to shopping and routine chores after Passover, many shelves were empty, but I don't think that was down to "crisis", just even more of a rush than the manager had anticipated

They sell quite a lot of pork, which obviously the charedi don't buy (they love the fish counter though), I can often find pork cheeks there which are good for a slow casserole, and they are also good as red cooked Chinese pork, authentically made with belly, but obviously less rich made with cheeks and still very good with rice and cabbage with Chinkiang vinegar

Postby aero280 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:22 pm

The best butcher in Bushey is N J Shallis opposite Little Reddings School in Harcourt Road.

https://nicelocal.co.uk/east/shops/nj_s ... r/reviews/

It is nice to be within walking distance... :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:53 pm

I've dropped them a line to ask if they do ham hocks, and how much...

It's walkable, but a long walk as I live the Watford Water Lane end of Bushey - although I've done it occasionally on a "power walk" when I feel up to it!

Postby aero280 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 pm

If you get there, have a look at their sausages. If they have the pork and black pudding ones, you must try some. We tried the pork and Guinness, but they weren't worth the extra. All their meat is traceable back to source.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 am

Spanish pork with red wine looks very good, Seatallen - and would be good with black olives, too. Might have to.

Those baked cipollini in agrodolce are very moreish, Gill.
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/ ... Agrodolce/
So good with porchetta. Now there's a pork dish. Haven't cooked that in an age.

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recip ... tta-recipe

37 ways to do pork ...
https://www.saveur.com/best-pork-recipes/

Sakk, didn't you have a little raised porked pie recipe graphic at one time? Pretty good. Is it still around?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:52 am

Chile verde is pretty much our go-to pork casserole, but it doesn’t fit the brief in the OP. Plus of course it contains an ingredient that’s hard to come by.

I do like porchetta.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am

ZeroCook wrote:Sakk, didn't you have a little raised porked pie recipe graphic

That was centuries ago, it would look quite lame alongside current online tutorials!

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:49 pm

Seatallan wrote:Another vote for shoulder. :thumbsup

If you're after another pork recipe, this one (it's a Delia originally) is lovely. I often do it when we're entertaining. It can sit quite happily if you're running late and it goes a treat with saffron rice.

http://www.candlonline.co.uk/Recipes/spanish%20pork.htm

I've just found this recipe in "Delia's Complete Cookery Course" - the tin of tomatoes is not 1oz, of course, but 400g - and realise it's the first recipe I became confident with many years ago, when I started out on my new life. My friends will be with me only a couple of days from a significant anniversary, and I think I'll forget apples and cider, and resurrect "Spanish Pork". I'm really glad I asked, now -thank you.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:06 pm

You're welcome Gruney- I hope you all have a splendid time. :thumbsup

Must admit, it's one of my all-time favourite recipes. I come back to it time and time again. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox