Register

Jars of Pasta Sauce

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Jars of Pasta Sauce

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:46 am

Whilst such jars should be particularly useful for people living alone, I find they tend to be quite large so not very useful for one quick meal. One ends up batch cooking or freezing small portions of sauce anyway! That said, they're very useful to have in the cupboard and it's interesting to read of the best brands. Some supermarket ones have some quite unwanted flavour additions.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:58 am

The French brand I like comes in Bon Maman sized and shaped jars. Pity they don't do them here. (Mind you they are good because they clearly have a good amount of oil...0

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:23 pm

That’s a good idea Herbi, I think one of the local delis stocks The Sauce Stuff, I’ve seen them recently

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Whilst such jars should be particularly useful for people living alone, I find they tend to be quite large so not very useful for one quick meal. One ends up batch cooking or freezing small portions of sauce anyway! That said, they're very useful to have in the cupboard and it's interesting to read of the best brands. Some supermarket ones have some quite unwanted flavour additions.

I just plan to have it twice in a week, it keeps fine for a few days.
The only ingredients I ever check for is artificial sweeteners in value products as I'm horribly intolerant to them.
My priorities have changed over the years, that said, at anytime it could swing back the other way and I find myself cooking more again, who knows?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:24 pm

I wasn't sneezing at ready made foods- quite agree that cooking for one needs short cuts! I just wish sometimes that things were sold in smaller amounts (like large jars of condiments which say they should be eaten in a month). Sadly, it's often cheaper to buy a large size even if you waste it (thank goodness for the freezer!).

Postby Suelle » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I wasn't sneezing at ready made foods- quite agree that cooking for one needs short cuts! I just wish sometimes that things were sold in smaller amounts (like large jars of condiments which say they should be eaten in a month). Sadly, it's often cheaper to buy a large size even if you waste it (thank goodness for the freezer!).

Baked beans is a good example. With most brands it's cheaper to buy a standard 400g tin and throw half away, than buy a 200g single portion size. I have tried freezing what isn't eaten initially, but it wasn't that successful.

When have baked beans (which isn't often), I usually make a chilli within a few days, and use the leftover beans rinsed of their sauce. Again, not ideal, but not as wasteful as throwing some away.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Freezing marinara/tomato sauce from jars works fine - if I resort to making my own I portion and freeze it

As I prefer Branston beans (controversial) I usually find the triple packs of small cans are available at a good price somewhere, Iceland usually have 2 packs = 6 cans for £2.50 - and the pack has always been cardboard, never plastic :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Freezing marinara/tomato sauce from jars works fine - if I resort to making my own I portion and freeze it

As I prefer Branston beans (controversial) I usually find the triple packs of small cans are available at a good price somewhere, Iceland usually have 2 packs = 6 cans for £2.50 - and the pack has always been cardboard, never plastic :thumbsup

I'm with you on Branston Beans! :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:51 pm

Me three.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 pm

I've got some Branston beans to try after reading someone mentioning them, I hope they live up to the hype :lol: :lol: .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:32 pm

Suelle wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Freezing marinara/tomato sauce from jars works fine - if I resort to making my own I portion and freeze it

I'm with you on Branston Beans! :D

Me too . :thumbsup ... in fact I never have a problem using/eating up the 400g tin ... I usually have Bbeans as part of a brunch breakfast/lunch on toast ... what's left gets eaten every time I go to the fridge

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:37 pm

LTC has a great recipe for tomato soup using baked beans - would be a good way of using up half cans of beans and tomatoes! She kindly posted it on the soup thread if you feel like checking it out.

Postby Suelle » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:32 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:LTC has a great recipe for tomato soup using baked beans - would be a good way of using up half cans of beans and tomatoes! She kindly posted it on the soup thread if you feel like checking it out.

That sounds a useful recipe - I'll go and look!

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:53 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I wasn't sneezing at ready made foods- quite agree that cooking for one needs short cuts! I just wish sometimes that things were sold in smaller amounts (like large jars of condiments which say they should be eaten in a month). Sadly, it's often cheaper to buy a large size even if you waste it (thank goodness for the freezer!).

Oh no, I didn't think you were!
I still love good food, just can't be bothered to make it, I ate lots of lovely food in Edinburgh a couple of months ago and hope to do similar in Manchester in June, should probably add in Glasgow since I live near it.
Hopefully trying the Korean fried chicken place next week.

Postby smitch » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:11 pm

I can recommend some Manc places if you let me know what sort of food you’d like

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:21 pm

I am a Branston beaner too - on your recommendation, Sue.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:37 am

smitch wrote:I can recommend some Manc places if you let me know what sort of food you’d like

Yes please.
Um, all food!
I'll be on my own so casual places, particularly street food/food trucks,
Anything local to Manchester, I've never eaten there so it will be new to me.
I'm on a budget so nothing too expensive, and trying to fit in as much as I can so nowhere hugely out of the way.
Thank you.
Send on FB if its easier, no rush obvs.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:07 am

slimpersoninside wrote:I've got some Branston beans to try after reading someone mentioning them, I hope they live up to the hype :lol: :lol: .

I’m exactly the same. After reading this I’m tempted to try today!

Postby Suffs » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 am

We prefer Branston beans ... we've been eating only them for years ... better textured beans and none of that saccharine sweetness of 'the' other'brand/s

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:48 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:
smitch wrote:I can recommend some Manc places if you let me know what sort of food you’d like

Yes please.
Um, all food!
I'll be on my own so casual places, particularly street food/food trucks,
Anything local to Manchester, I've never eaten there so it will be new to me.
I'm on a budget so nothing too expensive, and trying to fit in as much as I can so nowhere hugely out of the way.
Thank you.
Send on FB if its easier, no rush obvs.

I’ll get my thinking cap on. Will prob message you on Fb as I can only use this forum on my phone, which makes typing difficult

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox