Register

how annoying is it when -

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

how annoying is it when -

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:54 pm

you buy a fresh 100g of allspice cos, although you thought you had some, you can't find it - and then you find it while putting the new lot away.

Re: how annoying is it when -

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:59 pm

I spent some time looking for one of these on Tuesday

Forgetting that the wobbly wheel had wobbled off and it had been replaced with one of these

Very frustrating

Postby aero280 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 pm

When we had the extension built three years ago, I had to clear out the rotten old lean-to garage. I threw everything in the new shed, which already had a lod of stuff hurriedly put in it when the old shed fell apart.
Then the existing rear extension roof was found to be rotten. So that was cleared to the shed.

A bit later I sorted the shed, and found that I had multiple gallons of windscreen cleaner - and 37 paint brushes... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm

I set my Thermapen probe thermometer on fire yesterday

It's not quite as daft as it sounds, the Thermapen was in a small utensil jar next to the stove, and I must have dislodged it when picking out something else, the tip slid under the pan on the stove, and the gas burner ignited it

I smelled it very soon, picked it up by the cool end and dumped it in the sink and ran water on it

No damage done to anything but the Thermometer, which was on it's last legs, the switch had almost worn out and the battery cover didn't fit well.

Does suggest I do need induction next time round

Postby Rainbow » Thu May 05, 2022 5:27 am

I’d definitely go for induction!
Just moved into our new house and wondered how to turn on a specific hot plate. Just put the pan on it and it comes on! Different from my last one.

Postby scullion » Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am

it amazes me how different induction hobs work. mine is simple (big swedish shop - had best reviews when i was searching), as is our daughters (a neff with a removable nob but a little slower to react than mine) but i always do something to our sons, when cooking at his, that needs me to ask him to rectify it.
i prefer mine.
i'm not sure your thermometer would have survived with an induction, either, sue. if the probe was (magnetic) steel, and the hob on, it would have heated the probe and melted the plastic anyway.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 05, 2022 10:56 am

It wouldn’t have slid under the pan into the burner though scullion, I’d probably have noticed the noise if it had hit the pan, or even seen it it was on the surface, I chose bright yellow in the hope I’d spot it in the wrong place

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox