Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby liketocook » Fri May 20, 2022 8:21 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:It certainly looks a treat, aero but I agree, perhaps better if you were there!

At the other end of the scale, I looked all round St Andrew's for somewhere to have lunch but decided to go back to here at the East Beach which I'd seen on arrival. I had the New Yorker. Highly recommended if you ever go there, really tasty (but bring a bib and asbestos hands :lol:). They do chips and huge ice creams too.

20220518_192758_resized.jpg

My neighbours' have a caravan near St. Andrew's and it's one of their favourite places for a treat lunch. Apparently the ice cream is pretty decent too though a suitable interval between toastie and cone is needed! The lad's favourite is the one filled with macaroni cheese ideally with chips, how he manages to eat it all goodness knows but he's a very active, skinny as a rake and growing like a weed.
Fontana sounds lovely BB.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 20, 2022 11:40 pm

Aubergine parmesan (Iknow I will misspell the Italian) and tiramisu in the rather strangely named Friends of Flavours in Penge. It hit the spot.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 20, 2022 11:59 pm

liketocook wrote:The lad's favourite is the one filled with macaroni cheese ideally with chips

I saw people having that. It looked delicious! The ice creams are precariously balanced about 3"-4" high in the cones! They give a cup to small children to put some of it into in case they drop it.

Your supper sounds good, Herbi.

Postby aero280 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:06 am

Just to lower the tone a bit. i had a new set of tyres fitted to the car at lunchtime.

Done at Costco, so I went to their cafe and had a coffee and a slice of 5 cheese pizza. Quite a large slice...

IMG_4307.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG (82.57 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

Postby Pampy » Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 am

The Costco I go to sell huge jacket potatoes for less than £2 - plenty for a filling lunch.

Postby aero280 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:21 am

I saw those, and the cottsge pie, but i was only after a snack. OH would have lunch ready when I got home :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 21, 2022 9:04 am

There was a Costco on the business park where our office was before I retired. Costco pizzas and buffet bits were the order of the day on any celebratory occasion. The pizza slices were huge, greasy and utterly delicious.

Postby Busybee » Sat May 21, 2022 9:19 am

The slice of pizza is the treat after enduring a trip to Costco………absolutely filthy but gorgeous.

BB

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 21, 2022 6:56 pm

I tried upgrading the Costco Pizza's presentation slightly for the sake of foodie reputations, but I'm not sure it quite did the trick...

www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/posh-pizza.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 21, 2022 6:59 pm

:lol: :lol:
It wouldn't taste right!

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 21, 2022 9:00 pm

I noticed today that our Sainsbury's cafe has closed permanently. Nowhere to park husband now, while I do the shopping.

We had lunch in a Mitler and Butchel, no, Bitler and Mutchel, Mutler and Bitchel... ok Mitchel and Butler. (I actually can't say it out loud without spoonerizing). Roast pumpkin with stilton and other bits. It was fine.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 21, 2022 9:26 pm

upgrading the Costco Pizza's presentation slightly for the sake of foodie reputations, but I'm not sure it quite did the trick...

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/posh-pizza.jpg

The rabbits tell me it might have been Easter.

Postby aero280 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 pm

Today we ate out for lunch. OH and I shared a perfectly acceptable chicken and mayonnaise baguette in the cafe at Wellington Country Park. We had a day out with the grandchildren :)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun May 22, 2022 5:43 pm

We ate here on friday
https://www.druid-inn.co.uk/

Everything properly made in house.
I had a 'special' chicken and leek pie, with colcannon mash. I've been dreaming about it ever since!
I've never had a bad meal there and the views are sublime.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:56 pm

I was in town and was excited to see a branch of Mildred's on St Martin's Lane. I am sorry to say I was the opposite of excited once I was seated at my table and realized it was vegan only and looked at the menu. I was really looking forward to something cheesy and eggy. What I had was nice enough, but didn't seem particularly innovative. I think they may need to up their game if they are to compete with the numerous other Vegan places that have sprung up in London. It was all vaguely Indian or Indonesian.
Also had to pay on my phone which took me ages as I don't have Apple Pay and couldn't get it (not that I really want it). Plus it meant I had to use my credit card ( I suppose I didn't but...), and not pleased about that. Gosh I am sounding olfd...

Ok I am going to sound like a stinge, but the paratha in the little bowl cost £3. They seem to have sprinkled nigella seeds on at the end as they were in the bottom of the bowl.

IMG_2722.JPG
IMG_2722.JPG (94.45 KiB) Viewed 3228 times

Was sad to see that the vegetarian restaurant at the top of Neal st had gone - I imagine it went ages ago, though.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:13 pm

Herbi - I work on St M’s lane and a few colleagues and I tried breakfast at the new Mildreds when they first opened (with a discount card). We found it hugely uninspiring. Not a patch on the original one which I loved.

We ate out at these three in BVI. First two were great. The last was phenomenally expensive and not worth it

https://www.facebook.com/CocoMayavg/menu

https://www.facebook.com/LooseMongoosebeVI

https://www.facebook.com/Brandywine-Est ... 6428962854

All stunning locations though.

Postby Maud » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:50 pm

Herbi, I'm not sure if you've seen it yet but a new restaurant, Compton, is opening in the old Modern Pantry premises (they did a soft launch last week as part of Design Week) and Modern Pantry is going to open in the Zetter Hotel restaurant, just a few metres away.

Postby aero280 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:41 am

If you are in St Martin's Lane, have you tried the cafe in the Crypt of the church. We used to go regularly. It was always pleasant.

And, of course, you are just around the corner from Neal's Yard and cheese!! :)

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:20 am

I went past all of the above, aero. I went into town via Charing Cross and walked up thorugh CG market thn up Neal st then to Seven Dials and piddled around there a bit. As I said, I thought Mildred's was going to be something it wasn't. There are certainly lots of places to eat round there.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:24 am

Maud wrote:Herbi, I'm not sure if you've seen it yet but a new restaurant, Compton, is opening in the old Modern Pantry premises (they did a soft launch last week as part of Design Week) and Modern Pantry is going to open in the Zetter Hotel restaurant, just a few metres away.

Ooh that's good to know. Thank you! That's excellent news. My fellow fancy lunch (when we are in the office) friend will be very pleased. We have been going to Cafe Kick, but that's a bit hit and miss for vegetarians.
I know the Zetter well. (The Zetter Townhouse has a lovely little bar that does snacks, too if anyone is in the area.)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox