Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby aero280 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:39 am

Yesterday we had lunch at the carvery in the old tithe barn at Haselbury Mill in Somerset. We were there quite late for lunch, but the food was good, and the hot trays of veg and yorkshires not too large and still being refreshed. Rare beef, which I had, along with the gammon. There was also pork and turkey. And the local draught beer from Langport, was just right!

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:42 am

Oh, aero, that sounds good. I must make a note of it. We're spending a few days with my BF not that far from Langport in a few weeks.

Postby aero280 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:13 pm

It's a nice standard carvery, and worth eating there if you are close, but it's not so wonderful to make it a destination. And the tithe barn carvery is only on Sundays. There is a Lakeside retaurant and a pub on site which are also open at other times

https://www.haselburymill.co.uk/eat-drink/

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:17 pm

Ah, looking at the map, it would quite definitely be a "destination" as it's quite far from my friends. Thanks, aero.

Postby dennispc » Thu May 12, 2022 8:32 am

Not today, but the Scarbrough hotel we stayed at recently did a proper cold buffet breakfast, anything cooked was done to order.

Here’s my breakfast, fresh fruit salad, wonderful. :D

breakfast.jpg
breakfast.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 3804 times

The last evening, my duck with Pomme Anna (never had that before) as with Soubise, which is almost hidden. If I had realised how much butter was in them I probably wouldn’t have ordered them. :shock:

pomme anna.jpeg
pomme anna.jpeg (144.32 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 12, 2022 12:58 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, I had a delicious lunch at the Clerkenwell Kitchen yesterday. Wish I had noted down exactly what it was, but a tart with parmesan and something green, a French bean and tomato salad with a hint of... orange? in the dressing. Black rice salad. It was all very very good. They really know how to cook there. I am amazed they have kept going as they are off the beaten track and don't open for dinner, and not particularly well known. I suspect their outside catering keeps them going as much as anything.

https://theclerkenwellkitchen.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Not so much eating in a restaurant, but there's been a salmonella outbreak in chicken sandwiches and wraps. All the major suppliers seem to be affected.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/ale ... in-32-2022

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 12, 2022 6:26 pm

That's all we need - but fresh chicken unaffected so far?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 12, 2022 7:44 pm

All supplied from Cranswick foods (Hull). If you look at their website it does seem as though their meat is British with a reasonable supply chain, though any mass processing has it's big drawbacks.
It makes me smile that people who consider themselves too refined to go to Aldi or Lidl are eating the same thing bought from M&S. When Bowyers in Calne made pork products they had a separate section for M&S with more stringent cleanliness and behaviours than the other section. It would be nice to think that standards have all risen to the same level nowadays - rather than stooped.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 am

https://www.casadino.co.uk/

We had inner here on Saturday evening. First time we’ve had dinner out in ages. It was absolutely fantastic. Amazing service and really delicious food. I had arancini and then beef tagliata with broccoli. A real treat!

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am

That looks good, Rocky. The cacio e pepe with lime (on the menu) sounds interesting.

Eating out continues to happen in excess for us at the moment - it is fulfilling more than one function though.
Saturday I had a goats cheese salad with parmesan and rosemary fries on the side (latter shared with T) in the Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich.
Yesterday we went to the Real Greek (also in Dulwich village) and had far too much food. Spicy feta dip and flat bread, cream spinach triangles, halloumi and vegetable skewers. One of those would have been enough for me, but the husband helped me out. Dinner was half a carton of cottage cheese and two spoonfuls of tiramisu!

Postby RockyBVI » Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 am

Herbi - I had that the other time I went there and said to OH on Saturday that I wished I’d had it again. It was delicious!

Postby aero280 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 am

I had to go up to town today and got back around 6.30pm. OH was singing at a funeral in Harrow at lunchtime and at another, more folky, event at Watford Museum this afternoon. We were both presentably dressed and not in working tatters, so we went up to St James for supper. :)

I had the chicken and OH had the John Dory. Both were lovely. We both had the salted caramel tart to follow. I only got a photo of my chicken - with sweet corn and polenta covered mashed potato.

IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG (69.88 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

it's looks a bit small in the photo, but the plate was large and there was plenty.

Postby Grasshopper » Wed May 18, 2022 8:41 am

Ooh - I know quite a few good places to eat!
Only last Saturday I had one of the nicest meat & potato pies I've ever had outside home.
I had a slice with roasties, peas & gravy, as well as a generous pot of tea.

Java Coffee, Kirkgate Arcade, Otley - YUM! :yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Apart from a few scattered sweetcorn niblets, there's virtually nothing in that photo I could identify, Aero, even with your description!

Postby aero280 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:45 pm

You had to be there!! :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 18, 2022 8:38 pm

It certainly looks a treat, aero but I agree, perhaps better if you were there!

At the other end of the scale, I looked all round St Andrew's for somewhere to have lunch but decided to go back to here at the East Beach which I'd seen on arrival. I had the New Yorker. Highly recommended if you ever go there, really tasty (but bring a bib and asbestos hands :lol:). They do chips and huge ice creams too.

20220518_192758_resized.jpg
20220518_192758_resized.jpg (204.4 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:05 pm

ooooh EM, looks such fun!!

Postby Busybee » Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 am

Fontana in Hollywood, Belfast.

https://www.fontanarestaurant.co.uk/

Superb food and a very warm welcome. I had silky smooth liver parfait served with a good chutney, followed by a ribeye steak with the best sauce/jus/gravy I’ve ever tasted. Everyone else had a squash mini pizza type starter followed by roast hake, kale and chubby chips.
Two courses for four adults plus drinks and coffee £145.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 20, 2022 9:23 am

It looks sooo nice BB!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox