Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby mistakened » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:21 pm

herbidacious wrote:
I was in town and was excited to see a branch of Mildred's on St Martin's Lane. I am sorry to say I was the opposite of excited once I was seated at my table and realized it was vegan only and looked at the menu. I was really looking forward to something cheesy and eggy. What I had was nice enough, but didn't seem particularly innovative.

Last week a writer in the DT complained of the same thing, stating that she was vegetarian not vegan and that vegans seem to be taking over.

Meanwhile last night we went to what was our local taverna, it is now a restaurant, there is a difference. Very disappointing, I had Oven Baked Sea Bream, dressed in local fashion with parsley and lemon, the fish was alright but the roasted vegetables were soggy and I had to pay extra for chips. Deb had Teriyaki Duck, the duck was overcooked and the auce tasteless. They also served steaks, various forms of chicken, pasta, local dishes and Meze on Sundays. No evidence of vegetarian options other than some of the pastas.
I doubt that we will return especially at their prices

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:33 pm

We have a fairly local Mildred’s in Dalston, I haven’t been to that one, though I went to the Soho one years ago, but as far as I know it has been vegan rather than vegetarian for some time, it was heading in that direction and I think it returned from lockdown fully vegan, so I suppose some of the information out there in guides hasn’t caught up

It is popular locally

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:58 pm

I had pancakes and fruit here today, after a glorious back massage and a wonderful facial.
https://beautytemple.co.uk/the-retreat/
Food wasn't as good as the treatments.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:46 pm

All my Harrow friends seem to end up in West Bridgford!

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:01 pm

Ah, I wasn't in the West Bridgford branch, I was in Castle Donington.

West Bridgford is very nice though, I did some work there a few years ago.

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:31 am

mistakened wrote:Last week a writer in the DT complained of the same thing, stating that she was vegetarian not vegan and that vegans seem to be taking over.

very true. not only have vegetarians been poorly catered for by ordinary restaurants, they have, for the last few years, been squeezed out by the vegan option as a 'catch-all' and often with little thought for a protein portion - which keeps you feeling satisfied for longer - and quite often it's uninspiring.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:35 pm

I'm omni but I have noticed that in restaurants for the last year or so.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:41 pm

We went here for lunch. We shared kimchi fried rice, chicken tacos and kofta meatballs. Absolutely delicious

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 06-WEB.pdf

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:06 pm

I agree re the growing veganism v veggie options on menus.

That menu looks very good, Rocky.

Postby aero280 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Last night we stayed in a nice village hotel near Bremen. It's spargel season!! :)

IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG (211.31 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

The chef made his own hollandaise. He said that he only did that during the asparagus season. The rest of the year he buys it in.

Tonight we are in a cheap hotel in Sweden. But it's OK for one night which is all they aim to cater for.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:08 am

Hoping to eat here......https://www.thehangerfreehouse.co.uk/main-menu later this week. What do you think of the main menu ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:54 am

That looks rather nice Zosh, a few deviations from standard gastropub

I fancy a brown crab rarebit :yum:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:16 am

A nice modern menu. Something for everyone. I have noticed lately how much burgers have crept into menus in all kinds of establishment, usually in place of things we once expected to see.

Postby Busybee » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:04 am

Nice looking menu Zosh……….re burgers, I like a good burger in a decent bun but it really puts me off when they are topped with another meat. Bacon I can pick off but the thought of pulled pork or brisket just puts me right off ordering it.

I think they just become too unwieldy to eat.

I like the sound of the starters, I think I’d have the crab rarebit and the Korean KFC and skip the mains.

BB

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:37 pm

I find that too Busybee . I love pulled pork and brisket , but would rather have in a roll by themselves than with a burger . I think it’s a texture thing too .

I do like a really decent burger though I often struggle with the roll and fries /chips . I don’t like the fashion for burgers in a brioche roll though , I find them too doughy and sweet .

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:08 pm

I quite like most of the brioche rolls I've had, which haven't been sweet at all if made intentionally for serving burgers, not like those served as an alternative to croissants and pastries at breakfast or teatime

But I don't really want both bun and chips

I've not come across many places adding the pulled pork or beef to the burger patty, more like one of our local pubs that has a whole sub menu of "things in buns" - actual beef burgers, with or without cheese topping; vegetarian burgers; halloumi burger; or the best is the buttermilk marinated jerk chicken. I think they used to have pulled pork too but current cook doesn't handle pork.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:21 pm

we're with you, amy, neither of us like brioche buns with burgers.
wrong taste, wrong texture and they aren't robust enough to finish a burger without the need for a stack of napkins and a good hand washing after.
i'll have your chips...

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm

After last night's Tapas, we're trying the "Cafe Atlantique" tonight. Not been there yet. it may turn out to be too expensive.

There was only on place open near the hotel on Sunday night when we arrived. The hotel have a recommended list. We went to the handy oine. It was a 1 star Michelin, which wasn't the price we really had in mind!!

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:41 pm

I don’t need any kind of bread with a burger.just a small portion of chips will suffice.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t need any kind of bread with a burger.just a small portion of chips will suffice.

Whenever I order a burger if I am eating out, I ask them to replace the bun with salad (to add to the side salad) and there is always plenty of chips :thumbsup :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox