Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:18 am

A wonderful celebration. So pleased :newhuggy.

Postby Busybee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am

Now that’s a really good reason to celebrate. Well done Amy’s mum.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:13 am

All credit to your mum Amy. That's wonderful. 8-) 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:17 pm

Well done Amy’s mum!

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:29 pm

That's wonderful, Amy. Many congratulations to her, and I hope she is as proud of herself as I know you are of her.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:55 pm

Lightish lunch here. The bar menu not quite as comprehensive as the full one. I had the beetroot falafel and friend had the mackerel tatine. Both very nice.
We like it here, it's beside the canal on what will soon be a vast housing estate :(.
https://www.hall-woodhousewichelstowe.co.uk/dine/

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:50 pm

Thanks everyone . EM just browsed the menu h oh f where Hobbs lunch . Looks lovely . Two things stood out for me:

I’m probably biased because I hate butter but the idea of avo on toast with poached egg on toast then a smoked chilli butter texturally made me a bit grossed out . Mind you so does poached egg in soup .

Secondly I suppose because I calorie count I don’t actually mind seeing the calorie value of dishes on menus . What does annoy me is the guidance of the average adult needing 2000 calories a day. Who is exactly defined as an average adult . A tall, sturdy guy in a physically active job will need a lot more calories than a sedentary woman in her 50s .

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:01 pm

A British standard person weighs 70kg - of course it's an approximation, but people who are n't counting calories directly find it a useful rough guide to whether something is high calorie, high protein, low fat etc

I'm with you on the avocado, I love butter but avocado has it's own richness and topping it with runny egg yolk and/or butter doesn't appeal, I don't even like vinaigrette, I prefer just lime juice and salt and some form of chilli

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:06 pm

We went to Franklin's in East Dulwich and Ihad Glamorgan sausages which came with mustardy creamed leaks. Then I had a generous portion of Eton mess. Will be putting back on the weight I have lost over the last month at this rate.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 01, 2022 12:18 am

A bit of comfort food does you good sometimes! That does sound nice.

As for the calorie on menus thing, I don't know if the new rules say they have to include the 2000 calories a day bit. I suppose it's just to make you consider whether or not to eat 1800 calories or more for one meal.

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 02, 2022 8:15 pm

This was yesterday's lunch: wild garlic and onion risotto with hazelnuts (delicious) then chocolate mousse and caramel tart. T has toffee apple Eton Mess with hazelnuts (they must have got a job lot! :) ) and I did rather have dessert envy. Chocolate desserts don't quite do it for me any more like they used to.

This was at The Sparrow in Lewisham. Lewisham is really not very nice. The Sparrow seems very out of place, there - it would be happy in central London - but we are grateful for it. It's been on my radar for a long time but we only got round to trying it out in the last year. (Some slight nervous Covid visits as it's a bit small and almost cramped.)

It's reasonable for London these days, imo, especially given that the food is so well thought out, well executed and clearly devised and cooked by people who care about food as opposed to just what will sell.

This should be my last meal out for a bit unless I take myself out for lunch tomorrow. I am eating too much.

IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg (113.76 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG (64.84 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Last edited by herbidacious on Mon May 02, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby aero280 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:36 pm

Posted in the wrong section...

... deleted :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by aero280 on Mon May 02, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 02, 2022 9:18 pm

Your lunch looks absolutely gorgeous Herbi . The colour of the risotto is incredible . I’m with you on chocolate puddings . I can’t remember the last memorable one that I had . Quite often would rather just have a decent bar of chocolate

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 03, 2022 10:59 pm

https://thelounges.co.uk/centro/
Had an early dinner here tonight.
One of my pals teaches at Loughborough College so this is ideal for pre cinema eats.

It's not fancy but it's friendly and reliable.
I had the fried rice bowl with chicken, she had salmon and noodles.
Both perfectly acceptable.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 04, 2022 12:38 am

That looks great WW. I really like that kind of menu these days.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 07, 2022 8:18 pm

I went into town far too early for my appointment, yesterday, so I had some lunch out.

I had this:

IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG (94.72 KiB) Viewed 4015 times

"Chipotle Smoked Cheddar Cornbread: house made cornbread, fried egg, spicy beans, chipotle crema, avocado, pickled red onion"

This is the sort of thing I really like. It was done reasonable well but took 35 minutes to come. Is that a long time or just me being London-impatient?! I had the time to wait, at least, but was fiendishly hungry.

We didn't want to eat in my mother's house and were too tired to go into town so local junk food pub for dinner. (It used to be a Bernie Inn when I was a child and the usual venue for our once-a-year-family meal out. Probably last in there c. 1979.) I had some nachos (hand fried wheat tortillas) and something called Hot Mess which sounded so weird and improbable we had to try it. It was actuallyok. Quite nice, even. (V small portion though was probably a blessing.)
It comprised of this: Fried hash brown bites, coated in a rich Cheddar sauce, topped with Chilli Heatwave Doritos™, Frank's Red Hot® sauce, jalapeños and spring onions.

Lunch today was at the Chatsworth farm shop cafe: A Derbyshire oatcake which came with a fried tomato, mushroom and halloumi, and a side salad.
Then the biggest scone ever (!) with allegedly (but pretty sure not) clotted cream and jam. (The calorie count far exceeded that of the first course). I couldn't actually finish it. Not sure if I am allowed dinner.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 08, 2022 9:56 am

Sounds as though you had things you really like, Herbi.
I had lunch with friend at our usual spot by the Kennet and Avon canal.
http://www.honeystreetmillcafe.co.uk/menus/. The choice is always soup or quiche. It was blue cheese quiche and very seasonal salad with crisps. The blue cheese wasn't as strong as I'd have liked but it was nice. We shared a piece of apple cake afterwards. It was topped with apples, a lovely glaze and pistachios. There was an added (nice) flavour which I'm still trying to work out, possibly something in the jam used to glaze.

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 am

I think I have put on weight. Given the abovementioned food it the only food I have eaten each day it's a bit annoying.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 08, 2022 12:19 pm

Antibiotics can do that - it’ll come off I expect when you have finished them

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 08, 2022 10:33 pm

I am very overdue for a thyroid review, but I think basically I have an incredibly slow metabolism.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox