Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:50 pm

You seem to be having some interesting food, aero!

I've never seen pulled pork and a patty offered on a burger though of course I've seen bacon. If the burger options look nice I ask for a burger without the bun because I like chips. I have been served sweet brioche. Revolting.

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:07 pm

We are eating at a different place every night, so far. But we may go back to Tapas tomorrow, it was good.

The "Cafe Atlantique" serves French style food as the owner is French. But they must have had a problem in the kitchen this evening. The food took ages to come, and the owner plied us with extra bread and plates of nibbles. We have no idea what went wrong.

But the food was very well cooked, good and very reasonably priced.

Postby mistakened » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:11 am

Yesterday evening we went back to Melanda Beach Taverna. The menu has been revised, Moussaka has been removed probably because no one ordered it.
I had a mixture of starters, Grilled Octopus on Dried Broad Bean puree, a bright purple Beetroot and Yoghurt dip, an orangey coloured Smoked Aubergine dip and white Tarama. Both flavourful and colourful.
The Octopus and Bean dish could have been garnished with salad leaves and served as a main course in some up market establishments,
Sorry, no on line menu, its not that sort of place

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:59 am

They seem to have got quite inventive, Moira. Sounds delicious.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a vegan friendly restaurant in Hebden Bridge that's not Indian or Chinese please?

Postby smitch » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:03 pm

There are burgers at Vocation & Co. Even if you don’t go for food the beer is good there.

The White Lion pub has plenty of options too.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks smitch.
Any experience of The Olive Branch?

Postby smitch » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Not been there but it looks nice. I really like Heb, some lovely shops there

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:05 pm

Yep, we have tickets for Nile Rodgers at The Piece Hall on the Saturday so we thought we'd have a few days away.
Bro and SIL are joining us for Fri and Sat :D

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:15 am

We ate out at Babur in Honor Oak last night. Too much food. Very expensive! But they are highly rated.

We had poppadoms and really delicious, not bog-standard pickles (although I love the bog standard ones too. Favourite bit of an Indian meal, almmost, dare I say it?!)
Achaari paneer tikka: beetroot sauce, paneer, pickling spice and mango chutney, masala puff rice as a starter, then as a main for me (husband had to help me out), a Vegetarian thali: Paneer makai tawa masala, green bean fogath, dal makhni, aloo gobi, mustard raita, pulao rice and mini nan bread.

The raita was really good. I asked what was in it, but didn't quite take it all in. I need to find a recipe. I think they had used very good yoghurt in it.

I didn't appreciate it as much as I should as suffering from considerable physical discomfort for various reasons.

I saw takeaway leaving in house-shaped boxes. I think they are a tiny bit too far for us to have delivery although I suppose we could warm it up. The prices are the same though, so might as well eat in.
They sell some of the pickles in jars. i am tempted.

Oh I also had a delicious homemade lemonade with watermelon and rose.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:46 pm

That sounds great Herbi, I look forward to being able to eat that kind of thing again, tastebuds still won’t do cumin or coriander in any form

Local shops, including Morrisons, sell a really cheap range of pickles by Lazzat and when I first tasted them pre-Covid I reckoned they are the ones you often get on a relish tray with poppadums , and I have certainly seen catering sized buckets of the pickles! Well worth a try if you see the small jars

Just had a very nice lemon tart at Millfields café with a friend after our walk

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:44 pm

That's a pity, Sue. Gosh it's the long haul for you. I hope it passes before too long.

We had a very disappointing lunch out today. Husband ordered a vegan all day breakfast. It consisted of one vegan sausage, one piece of vegan bacon, a tiny tiny plant pot of baked beans, half a tomato, one mushroom and a small piece of bread, toasted. He was hungry at the end of it.
I had some 'French onion' 'mac and cheese' with gruyere. The French onion bit was a dollop of onion chutney. I don't there was any cheese below the surface of the dish and not much on top.
Austerity Britain?
We will not be going back.
Ironically, I suggested going there because on their web stie they said they had huevos rancheros. No menu outside, as seems to be becoming an increasing and very annoying thing, and the server was on top of us (initially) straight away so didn't feel comfortable moving on. Our choices sounded ok in principle anyway.

It was one of those places with an open kitchen, so to add insult to injury we left stinking of grilling meat.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 pm

For a long time it was the law for restaurants to display menus and prices outside (though I think there were ways round it). Has that been dropped?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:31 pm

According to someone on TripAdvisor
The law requiring restaurants to have a menu outside (Price Marking (Food and Drink Services) Order) was repealed in 2008 by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. There is now a general obligation to give sufficient information to customers at the point of sale, so that they are not misled on prices. This may be by a price list or menu at the bar.

Prices on this must include VAT, service, cover charges, and any other compulsory charges. Any other charges or gratuities not shown on this are not compulsory.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:29 am

Ah! I'm only 14 years behind the times then :)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:08 am

A friend of mine went into her local small food shop last week and she said they had no prices on display. I thought that was probably illegal. She questioned him on it and he shrugged and said it had always worked for him. This was Primrose Hill, so maybe it would... but is it legal?

edit: ah yes, if the shop is small enough.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:51 pm

I don't shop in places that do not display prices.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:58 pm

Tonight we ate in the hotel.

I ordered a Wiener Schnitzel. Here it is. The plate is a large 14 inch one!!!!!!! :o :o

IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG (66.59 KiB) Viewed 8506 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 pm

I hope you were hungry!

Postby aero280 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:35 am

I had to give up and pass bits to the others... :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox