Register

Where have you eaten out to today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Where have you eaten out to today?

Postby aero280 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:53 pm

An article on noise in restaurants. The paper article lists a few noisy and a few quiet ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -the-charm

Postby mistakened » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:46 pm

There was a similar article in Thursdays Telegraph.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:01 pm

aero280 wrote:An article on noise in restaurants. The paper article lists a few noisy and a few quiet ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -the-charm

Quotes my friend Nigel of Pipedown

I think they are having a bit of a campaign now that it is easy to use an app for unbiased measurement of ambient noise

https://pipedown.org.uk/

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:58 pm

The worst places for noise that I have been to in the last few years are those massive branches of otherwise ok chains at Kings Cross - Caravan, Dishoom and the like. They are in warehouse-like spaces, and they play music, which of course gets turned up as the noise caused by talking increases, which caused pepole to have to talk louder... etc.. And yes, filled with young people who don't seem to mind. (And who also seem to not mind queuing outside for an hour to get in. What is it with young people and queuing for ages for something that's not that great? Leather Lane is the same at lunch time.) The ability to filter out unwanted sounds drops off, of course as we get older. One of the first experiments when I studied pyschology before switching courses involved this.

I am very noise intolerant full stop. I find it incredibly stressful. Bliss is just being able to hear birds etc. (but not parakeets, perhaps :) )

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:07 pm

I booked a table here for last Friday
https://theolivebranchrestaurants.com/hebden-bridge/
It doesn't look a bit like the picture, more like a cafe in a bus station c1975.

It was all a bit weird.
We could only be accommodated at 1830 or 2030.
I went for the later time, we arrived at 2025 to find one other table for 2 occupied and the rest empty.
The other couple had finished their meal.

I ordered the special, chargrilled seafood skewers which contained prawn, tune, salmon and monkfish.
They tasted OK but the monkfish obviously hadn't had the membrane removed as it was a bit "tight"
It was served with rice AND cheesy potato.

I can't see what J had on the menu, maybe it was a special too.
It was a sort of sliced canneloni filled with spiced minced lamb.
It was tasty and absolutely massive.

Bro ordered veggie pide and enjoyed it.

Vegan SIL ordered a selection of starters and sides.
They all came with non-vegan tsatsiki.

Saturday we had an early dinner / late lunch as a Tapas place which doesn't seem to have a website.
The food was lovely and the service friendly.
The wine by the glass was shocking, so bad I didn't drink it.
The proprietor came to check all was OK and I mentioned the wine - think the cheapest supermarket plonk - and he offered to bring me a different one.
As there was only a choice of 3 and my companions had the same opinion of their (different) ones, I declined.

Best bit was when the smiley waitress came to clear the table.
No messing about with trays here, she brought the washing up bowl.
SIL, who owns a cafe, was horrified!

Dining out highlight of the week was a masala dosa, bought from the market and eaten on a bench in the park.
It was delicious.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:39 pm

You can't beat a bit of street food! Sounds an entertaining weekend!

Last weekend we had supper at the Sloop Inn, Porthgain. The website's not great viewed on a phone. Everything good, including veggie dishes. The real showstopper was the fish pie which looked very good and declared good by those who chose it. Generous portions. Might be hard to park there in high season.
http://sloop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... umn-21.pdf

On Sunday we had lunch at this lovely woollen mill. I think between us we chose all the mains and they were all declared extremely good. There was a daily specials menu too. Very nice indeed.
https://melintregwynt.co.uk/new-events/ ... u-june2022

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 pm

WW, I think I had a meal there we were staing in HB about 5 years, ago, WW. I vaguely remember HB not being as vegetarian friendly as you might expect given the general vibe. I can't remember the food at all - good or bad.

Looks nice, EM. Did you get to St David's? There is a (literally) wild food restaurant there :)

We ate out in our local Italian last night. It was packed, and they said there were no tables (curious for a Tuesday in these financially difficult times) but as we were walking down the street she ran after us and said we could have one. Several remained empty throughout. The food was nice, the service was friendly, but at some point the whole (quite small) restaurant filled with smoke and there was, on and off, a really nasty fish smell. Everything we were wearing still stank of it this morning. (Obviously some things had goen in the laundry basket anyway but jackets and cardigans, not.) Rather off putting. I am not keen on smelling of food even if it smells ok. I'd be no good working in a chippy!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox