Register

Our favourite slaw-type recipes …

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Our favourite slaw-type recipes …

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:37 pm

I would use ground ginger in a Moroccan salad too, though I'm pretty sure the one example I ate in Marrakech had no ginger and a little orange flower water, I think there are infinite versions, I use the ofw if I have it, orange not lemon juice, and leave out the honey

My favourite carrot salad is the Gujarat one I first saw in a Madhur Jaffrey book, the mustard seed become really sweet in the hot oil, though I definitely add some salt

http://breadbutterandbooks.blogspot.com ... salad.html

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:14 pm

I thought the carrot salad was from an ancient Sainsbury's Russian cook book, but looking at it now, that one is just garlic and mayonnaise. Sorry, my Covid brain is fooling me.

Will have to hunt around.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:56 am

herbidacious wrote:Also maybe not really slaw but I have a recipe for very garlicky grated carrot which is enough to convert one to raw carrot (tough call in my case). It has raisins in it which totally goes against the grain but works. Flaneur on Farringdon Road used to make one like this.

An old friend of mine makes one very similar ... not sure about the garlic, but it definitely has raisins in it and it is incredibly moreish ... :yum

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:52 pm

I used to make carrot & raisin salad all the time when the boys were small as DS2 was a fussy b@gger when it came to veg (unless it was in soup) but ate that happily.
Grated carrots & raisins or sultanas in a dressing of mayo, honey, wholegrain mustard and orange juice and orange zest. I steep the raisins in the dressing for a few hours so they plump up then stir in grated carrots just before serving. A few chopped walnuts or cashews added are a nice addition. I think it was a Good Food or Prima magazine recipe back in the early 1990s.
Must give it an airing some time soon.

Postby Amber » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:06 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
My favourite carrot salad is the Gujarat one I first saw in a Madhur Jaffrey book, the mustard seed become really sweet in the hot oil, though I definitely add some salt

http://breadbutterandbooks.blogspot.com ... salad.html

Another fan here, although I thought it was an Ainsley recipe

ETA this one https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/re ... -and-lemon

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:35 am

No cumin in Madhur’s version though.

Again, I’m sure there are lots of versions

Nice finished with a few green speckles, probably inauthentic - dill, coriander, parsley or mint

Postby scullion » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:38 am

Madhur Jaffrey’s Gujarati Carrot Salad
from Vegetarian World of the East Cooking

3/4 pound carrots
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
lemon juice (optional)
additional salt and pepper to taste
Peel and trim carrot(s), then grate into a bowl and toss with salt. Heat oil in a small frying pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Cook until mustard seeds begin to pop. (This could take maybe 10 seconds, or it could take a minute, depending on the specifics of your oil and seeds, but it won’t take long, so stay alert.) Pour oil and mustard seeds over carrots and mix together. Add lemon juice, if desired, and more salt and pepper to taste.
(according to https://sites.hampshire.edu/ffs/carrot-salad-two-ways/)

Postby liketocook » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:27 pm

Yesterday I used finely sliced savoy cabbage instead of my usual go to of white cabbage in coleslaw. It made a nice change on one I'll definitely do more often.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 am

Under the impression that tho slaw is by definition a cabbage salad ... kool sla ... evolving or expanding to mean any salad using shredded, grated or thinly slivered raw vegetables with a dressing?

Adding to the slew of carrot slaws, a loved family Cape carrot salad, often served as a curry or braai side dish - coarsely grated carrots about 500g, three oranges peeled, quartered and sliced across, half a small red onion sliced very thinly and tossed with a sprinkle of salt, a handful of raisins, and all tossed with the dressing - juice of a lemon, about a tsp each white vinegar and sugar (opt), 1/4-1/2 tsp hot chili or cayenne powder to taste, 1/4 tsp salt, ground black pepper - and left to macerate for at least half an hour. Just before serving add a good handful of roasted peanuts and a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves.

Also, Japanese style slivered cucumber and seaweed salad dressed with rice vinegar, pinch of sugar to taste, dash of sesame oil , a grating of ginger and a sprinkle of black sesame seeds.

And adding, that the classic coleslaw I make is also good with just a sweet vinegar dressing without the mayo.

Dijon dressing sounds good

Postby Suffs » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:32 am

Ah, that's why I used 'slaw' and not 'cole slaw' in the heading ... :thumbsup so many possibilities ... 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:24 am

I noticed yesterday that Rick Stein’s Asian Coleslaw recipe, in the Cambodia section of Far Eastern Odyssey is the basic t cabbage and carrot dressed with chopped chilli and garlic, fish sauce, lime juice and a little sugar and finished with herbs

The Cape salad sounds good, I like the idea of the peanuts. The French like carrot-orange salad, but it’s usually just carrot with some orange juice and zest added to the vinaigrette, probably derived from the N African version already discussed.

Some French women used to believe that the “carotte-orange” combo was a super food, good for the complexion, but I think it was just a passing fad

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 am

This thread has certainly produced a few interesting variations on a theme. There seem to be a good few carrot/orange/nut variations. All worth a try. The 'Asian' dressings and peanuts too. I already add nuts to so many salads, can't wait to try some variations.

Postby Suffs » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:08 pm

EM do you toast/roast your peanuts to add to slaws/salads?

Postby Pampy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Another carrot "slaw" : finely chop carrot and mix with dry ginger, mint, a bit of sugar and lemon juice. You can also add sultanas.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:59 pm

Suffs wrote:EM do you toast/roast your peanuts to add to slaws/salads?

On my own I tend to use salted mixed nuts which are already roasted (as I keep packets for eating anyway). Yes, I would roast sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, almonds and peanuts. Maybe cashews sometimes but probably not walnuts or pecans. I don't often have Brazils but would just chop them.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm

I use unsalted peanuts & roast them - especially nice if they've had a little soak in tamari first.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:53 am

Def some really good carrot slaws.

I too like to use raw peanuts, still in their skins (not shells) then roasted. Handy to bulk buy big bags in Asian shops for not a lot.. Good general pantry item, too.

Another good slaw or raw ingredient is sprouts, also easy to DIY. There's a thread on that. Was just looking at a large container of alfalfa seeds in the kitchen and thinking must do some of those soon. Ditto various bean and pulse sprouts.

Raw grated beetroot makes a great salad base. Lovely with rocket or peppery greens or sprouts and dressing of choice. Faves include citrusy vinaigrette. Garlicky lemony tahini dressing is good too.

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:25 am

the primary school i went to had a really good set of cooks (i think everyone stayed for school lunches). one of the things that sticks in my head is a grated beetroot and carrot salad they made. i don't know what the dressing was and i've never been able to replicate it. they must also have washed the beetroot as it never bled into the carrot.
it was really good.

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:29 am

I presume it was raw beetroot Scully? So few folk seem to eat raw beetroot ... it's delicious (although apparently eating a lot can cause your BP to drop suddenly). The golden beets are particuarly delicious raw and shredded or sliced wafer-thin.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:01 pm

I prefer grated raw beetroot to cooked. Ideally with a yogurt and horseradish dressing.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox