Register

Preserved lemons.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Preserved lemons.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:44 pm

I have it in mind to make a dish involving a preserved lemon, at the weekend, and I'm faced with the question I always face when i use them. The storage instructions say "refrigerate after opening, keep covered in brine, and use within 4 weeks". Quite frankly, there's a limit to the number of tagine type meals I could fancy within 4 weeks, and the best part of a jar always ends up being wasted - any tips, please? Is freezing an option?

Re: Preserved lemons.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:57 pm

Hello Gruney, I've kept mine for a lot longer and not had any problems.

Postby Suelle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:00 pm

i haven't tried it, but I think freezing would be OK. Better than wasting them, and if you have a new jar to hand before you thaw a portion, then you'd be prepared if it hadn't worked.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:05 pm

Gruney, is this a Belazu jar?
As long as they are kept covered with the brine, they will be fine. They always like to cover themselves, but you will be Ok to keep them.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:14 pm

My current jar (one left to use) has been open since last summer, perfectly fine in the fridge.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:16 pm

In the refrigerator, if covered with the brine, I too find they keep for months, though they do finally grow a fur coat

I have an unopened jar of Odysea lemons, a brand I haven’t tried before, when I open it I’ll try freezing one, I hadn’t though of that

The obvious advantage of Odysea is that it’s a smaller jar than Belazu

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:12 pm

Thanks a lot everyone.

Sloe-Gin wrote:Gruney, is this a Belazu jar?

No, SG - although i've had those in the past. I can't find them in our local Morrisons so daughter brought me over a jar of "Odysea" preserved Beldi lemons.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:29 pm

These are the Odysea lemons - their stuff is generally pretty good, my local deli seems to be a main stockist, I got some very nice evoo on offer
https://www.odysea.com/product/odysea-p ... mons-360g/

I was wrong about the jar size - almost the same as Belazu
https://www.belazu.com/preserved-beldi- ... 37176826.p

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:25 pm

I make my own sometimes and as others have said, found they keep for months in the fridge. Alternately, if you like lemon/lime pickle, incorporate them in a batch of that. Mamta's family recipe is the best ever. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:09 pm

i made a batch a couple of weeks ago. you have to leave them a month before you use them and they last for months and months. i am still using some made last year.
a rinsed off piece is great whizzed up in humous in place of the salt and lemon juice.

maybe proprietary made ones have less salt?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:37 pm

scullion wrote:maybe proprietary made ones have less salt?

Possibly "Beldi lemons are preserved whole in a simple brine of water & salt. " and the whole pickle (presumably lemon and brine) is only 6.32% salt, I'd guess one made by dry salting lemons would be much saltier

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Not much help from me but just to say that I have made them by putting quartered lemons in a jar and layering them with salt and pickling spices (the sort you buy for pickling onions). Unless you use a glass-topped jar they last (in the fridge) longer than the lid. They’re nice put into poultry or game birds before roasting and then mashed into the gravy.

Postby Amber » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 pm

I buy Odysea products from Sainsburys, as previous poster said, they’re very good. I usually buy balsamic vinegar, and pomegranate molasses - lemons are on my list to try.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:44 am

With Odysea I would also recommend the various versions of tapenade, bruschetta toppings and similar spreads

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 am

Freezing works great but as mentioned they do keep for an age in the fridge. Like BM I make my own and have an opened jar at the bottom of the fridge that's lasted a couple few years. That jar had evoo poured over the top. I preserve squeezed out and leftover lemons in 5% salt brine upped to 10% after a month or two
no oil, and have several of those keep well. Main thing is a decent salt concentration.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox