Register

Cooking with coconut milk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cooking with coconut milk

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:50 pm

My Yeti is a diseasel. No hope. We are now getting letters from Harrow Council about the next extension of the ULEZ zone (I don’t think they’re in favour). Hopefully if my Apsley move goes ahead I’ll be well out of it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:38 pm

I've had to use up some KTC coconut milk for my latest Thai dishes, which I accidentally bought from Lidl assuming it was their own brand when I was in a hurry, and have just restocked with an Aldi and a Lidl proper own brand tin (one of each), which on my comparison list of all the coconut milks are the top two.

Previously they had 75% and 82% coconut extract.

Aldi's version has snuck up to 76%, so it now pushes Sainos own brand into third place from joint second, but when I looked at the Lidl OB (Freshona), it now claims 94% coconut extract!!! And the second ingredient listed is water, so it's not including that...

EDIT: Keencook, I see you've already picked up on this! Just a bit of historical perspective...

Pepper - I occasionally cycle the towpath alongside your new house, and am always envious of the canalside houses, it's amazing how tranquil it can be just yards from the hustle and bustle of normal streets. Mind you, my favourite mechanic who lives down there has an added bonus - his own lock - as his family own the lockkeepers cottage a bit further downstream...

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 pm

Yes, I'm definitely going to get the Freshona full-fat whenever I see it!

The "lite" is, I think, the same as the KTC - I had a look at it in Tesco's earlier as they've got it on a clubcard offer atm, and I think that was also 64%. Of course there's other stuff in it, whereas as you say, the Lidl proper one is not adulterated.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 pm

I'm just making my Green Curry for the day, and I have to say that Freshona coconut milk tastes so good I could eat it on its own as a dessert!`

I don't understand how it manages 94% though, maybe they include the coconut water.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:17 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I'm just making my Green Curry for the day, and I have to say that Freshona coconut milk tastes so good I could eat it on its own as a dessert!`

I don't understand how it manages 94% though, maybe they include the coconut water.

Coconut milk would make any food edible for me as I love the flavour :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:28 pm

Yes, I was really astounded at how good it was!!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox