Register

Pancake Day

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pancake Day

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:25 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Seatallan wrote:That's why I make a batch in advance and freeze them. :D

I've got it off to a fine art over the years. Never made a dud pancake yet. As Suffs says, we're all different.

How thick are your pancakes, Seatallen? Mine (the sort I like with lemon and sugar) are more like crepes and can easily fall apart - that's the sort I was brought up with. My experience exactly as KC2 describes. I can't imagine being able to stack them. Are yours more the American fluffy sort?

No indeed! Mine are the standard thin pancakes. I cut squares of baking parchment before I make the pancakes (and stack them interleved with the parchment if you see what I mean). They don't stick, freeze easily and reheat quickly.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Like this.... just stack them on top of the other between the parchment.... I usually wrap them in batches of four to freeze. :yum
Attachments
IMG_1352 (002).jpg
IMG_1352 (002).jpg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 4081 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I wonder what this is like to use?
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/63489/Lakela ... repe-Maker.
Mention of crepes Suzette reminded me of a French girl I knew who had the burner for the table and everything - I think I could manage to fold them and put them into the sauce to flambee. Yum.

I used to cheat when making enough for a supper party
I used to fold the pancakes into little rolls with the flavoured butter inside, put into a big serving dish, cover with the other ingredients, hea tin the oven, then add flaming brandy and liqueur to serve
Was quite spectacular, and once the pancakes were made, quite easy

Once the pancakes were made

Nice looking crepes Seatallen

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:24 pm

Very impressed Seatallen!

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks both! Mr S is just tucking into a few (with lashings of maple syrup and melted butter). I'm more of a classic lemon & sugar girl.

I do make the American style type sometimes but tend to have them as savoury breakfast pancakes (usually with bacon and mushrooms). I also make stuffed pancakes with a cheese sauce from time to time.

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Chocolate protein pancakes for lunch today

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:23 pm

:yum :yum :yum :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:29 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!
FAB!!!!!!!!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:31 pm

O-M-G Amyw..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just looking at that is softening my teeth.........a big nooooo from me :vomit
:lol:

No pancakes here - plans changed, but I will have to make some later in the week or never hear the last of it!
Oh & just lemon juice for me with maybe the tiniest bit of caster sugar, tho' I'm happy without it - butter & jam for The Lushly [insert another throw-up icon here] !

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:06 pm

Bit rude to put a vomiting emoji while commenting on someone’s food ? If it’s not to your taste , that’s fine , but maybe don’t comment then

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:14 pm

It wasn't my intention to be rude & I didn't mean for it so come over that way, not being much of a chocolate fan & so much of it on that dish really would actually make me feel sick - I meant no offence, but maybe typed a reply without thinking too much.

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:44 pm

I made afew pancakes, but they were a bit of a trial. My non-stick pan has decided to stick to everything. I've had it a few years, but it hasn't been used a great deal. I was hoping a couple of pancake would "clean it" but they didn't. The last time I used it for a omelette it stuck too. :(

Postby smitch » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:35 pm

I made a vegan okonomiyaki for us to share. It was the first time I’d tried it without eggs and it worked well.

I had intended to make berry pancakes for pud but we were too full. Maybe tomorrow!

Postby Amber » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:25 am

My pancake pan doesn’t work on my new induction hob :( .

We didn’t have pancakes tonight, but will do, one night soon. In my new frying pan :roll: :lol: .

I may have mentioned it before, but my mum had a lovely omelette pan (it would have been a cheap one). It was never ever washed, but cleaned out with a sprinkling of salt rubbed with some kitchen paper. The best pan in the house :) !

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:20 pm

i used a large, greenpan, saute pan on the induction to make our pancake - no tossing with that - but there wouldn't have been any with the rather heavy, cast iron pan, either!
we had fried onion, cheese and sweetcorn ones first, then lemon, maple syrup/sugar ones for pudding.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:40 am

scullion wrote:i used a large, greenpan, saute pan on the induction to make our pancake - no tossing with that - but there wouldn't have been any with the rather heavy, cast iron pan, either!
we had fried onion, cheese and sweetcorn ones first, then lemon, maple syrup/sugar ones for pudding.

Sounds yummy :)

Postby halfateabag » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:29 pm

I'm planning pancakes with bananas & rum after the cassoulet on Monday lunchtime. A nod to St David and the rum from Loosha....

Welsh cheese after if we have room......

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox