Register

Tinned fish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tinned fish

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:51 pm

Aldi sometimes have mussels in a spiced olive oil - they're really good.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:06 pm

I have seen (and bought and eaten) smoked mussels in oil before, but not this Galician sauce, nor tinned squid either. Looking forward to trying them :yum :yum :yum

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:08 pm

Smoked oysters are nice too. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Having eaten oysters for years ... I now find that raw ones make me very ill ... I've not dared try tinned ones ... does anyone know someone with an oyster problem who can eat tinned oysters??? ... I loved smoked oysters.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:21 pm

Suffs wrote:Having eaten oysters for years ... I now find that raw ones make me very ill ... I've not dared try tinned ones ... does anyone know someone with an oyster problem who can eat tinned oysters??? ... I loved smoked oysters.

Me too, Suffs, I wouldn't risk the tins either!

Never again do I want to go through my last experience of a raw oyster!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:20 pm

Another one here who's been rejected by oysters after having happily eaten them for many years without problems - they were shucked right in front of me at the Whitstable oyster fare, so freshness wasn't in question - I did pig-out on quite a lot of them :oops: so have wondered if that was the problem, but would never risk it again.
Probably, I should think the tinned ones would be fine _ but I won't risk it - the memory is still strong.....! :thumbsdown

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:34 pm

Raw oysters took against me some time ago, but I tried them cooked in oysters Rockefeller and those were fine

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am

My Dad had the same problem, he loved oysters albeit he didn’t eat them very often, but they suddenly disagreed with him. It took a while to identify the cause of the trouble because he had other things at the same time and at least once he ate them without the dramatic outcome. I can’t remember if it was smoked, tinned ones or stir-fried that were successful - I think the former but cannot swear to it.

I was still a teenager when this happened and it put me off trying them for a few years, but in my late twenties, at the harbour side at Baltimore I had 3 oysters and 3 clams, got away with it and haven’t looked back since.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:09 am

Not tinned but fresh, RTC in W'rose a nice piece of swordfish, which will be a treat for supper. I have some fresh tarragon and some potato dumplings which need frying and a veg ?

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox