Register

Tinned fish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tinned fish

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:37 pm

The Morrison's tubs of herring are nice aero

I liked canned salmon as a child but when I cleared my parents' flat I found a cache of about half a dozen cans. I tried one, hated it, they were all well in date so I gave them to the food bank, hope someone thought they were a treat

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Talking of herrings, look out for the M&S chopped ones in the fresh fish section. Plastic container, not canned.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:28 pm

You mentioned them before, PP. I've looked for them every time I've been to M&S since (not that often) but no luck.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Ah, thank you PP, I was just about to ask you to remind me which were the M & S ones you recommended :yum

Did you get an idea of how many people your caterer will have to provide for at church this morning?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:55 pm

I didn’t go in the end. I had a snooze instead. :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:57 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Talking of herrings, look out for the M&S chopped ones in the fresh fish section. Plastic container, not canned.

Waitrose do those too :yum :yum :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:06 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I didn’t go in the end. I had a snooze instead. :oops:

I'm sure you needed it :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:48 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I didn’t go in the end. I had a snooze instead. :oops:

Not much of a day for going out, snoozing probably more to the point :newhuggy

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:21 pm

I adore anchovies, I do buy the jarred ones as I don't use them all at once but they do come in tins too.
One of my favourite lazy meals, (other than several packets of crisps!), is melted anchovies and garlic paste with olive oil stirred through spaghetti.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:37 pm

I sometimes freeze leftover anchovies in those little plastic takeaway pots that once contained sauces or dips.

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:56 pm

aero280 wrote:When i visited some Danish suppliers for work, they had jars of sweet cured rollmops, which were very nice indeed! :)

Maybe something like this? https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -322138011

I love the sweetcure rollmops with dill and I have some in my fridge.

Postby Suffs » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 pm

I love them too ... in fact I love herrings every which way :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Suffs wrote:I love them too ... in fact I love herrings every which way

me too :yum :yum :yum

Edited to add that Lidl used to sell a whole smoked fish ... not herring but perhaps Bloater ? Not cheap, but well worth the cost :thumbsup I haven't seen them for some time now :thumbsdown

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Renee wrote:Maybe something like this? https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -322138011

The "Dietary Information" made me smile.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:02 pm

I love the sweet cured with dill too. Very much .. :yum.

Gt Yarmouth was the home of the bloater. I don't know where they'd come from now. Scotland or Europe I guess. I read a funny story the other day of how lads in the herring weigh house, where there was one of those pneumatic systems to send pods containing cash or bills round a building, used to sometimes send herrings round the system for fun. Some disintegrated :lol:.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: I read a funny story the other day of how lads in the herring weigh house, where there was one of those pneumatic systems to send pods containing cash or bills round a building, used to sometimes send herrings round the system for fun. Some disintegrated .

EM, that's hilarious :lol: :lol:

I remember seeing that system at some department stores I went to with my mother when I was little. I wonder when the last one was operational? I think it was probably at Bentalls in Kingston as that was the department store we went to most often.

:!: :!: :!: Research alert Stokey Sue :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Busybee » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:23 pm

When I first started work in 1984, Nat West Bank we used one of those pneumatic systems to send bundles of work from the banking floor to the machine room for processing on the mainframe computer.

Saved the junior i.e me running up and down three flights of stairs multiple times an hour, although I still had to collect work from the managers clerks by hand, a job I hated as they all smoked so much you couldn’t see from one side of the office to the other because of all the smoke. I was also a bit scared of them, six middle aged men who could be a bit inappropriate.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:48 pm

Different times BB!

I think the pneumatic thingies were still around in old-fashioned shops at least until the mid 70s. They may still be around.

Better get back on topic! Does anyone like tinned crab? Not overly keen myself. When we had a village shop, a customer knocked on the door at 6am one day asking if he could buy a tin of crab as his wife had been up with a tummy upset all night and she thought it would 'settle her stomach'. We privately thought it might not.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Different times BB!

I think the pneumatic thingies were still around in old-fashioned shops at least until the mid 70s. They may still be around.

Better get back on topic! Does anyone like tinned crab? Not overly keen myself. When we had a village shop, a customer knocked on the door at 6am one day asking if he could buy a tin of crab as his wife had been up with a tummy upset all night and she thought it would 'settle her stomach'. We privately thought it might not.

I'm quite fond of tinned crab. I've certainly used it in crab cakes if I couldn't get fresh.

Re the pneumatic thingies- there was one at (the sadly now defunct) Jacksons Department Store in Reading which was operational right up until the point the store closed (end of 2013). According to the following article from Reading Museum, it was the last operational one in the country.

https://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/blog/r ... ns-reading
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:46 pm

I think some hospitals had the pneumatic tubes for prescriptions and/or notes = I thought I'd said this earlier, so sorry if it's a repeat!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox