Register

Keeping veg in the fridge

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Keeping veg in the fridge

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:30 pm

Ha, yeah, you really don't want to delve in my fruitbowl, (ooerr!).
I do eat some fruit, but if it's just whole fruit, I find it boring, or a pain to prepare, or not ripe.
I buy pre-cut tubs, or the wee kids bags as and when, that way they actually get eaten.
I think the couple of exceptions are blood oranges, and fresh Scottish strawberries.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:51 pm

Suffs wrote:Mushrooms are Alfi bought loose and Kroger in the fridge in brown paper bags.

???? Are they varieties of mushrooms????

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:07 pm

Sue, your fridge sounds so neat. You must have a very much bigger fridge than I have. I wouldn't have room to store veg as nicely as that.

I thought potatoes had to be stored in the dark to stop them turning green too quickly.

Postby Suffs » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:22 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Suffs wrote:Mushrooms are Alfi bought loose and Kroger in the fridge in brown paper bags.

???? Are they varieties of mushrooms????

Flamin’ phone :twisted:

“Mushrooms are also bought loose and kept in the fridge in brown paper bags …” :roll:

Postby Suffs » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:24 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:

I thought potatoes had to be stored in the dark to stop them turning green too quickly.

Yes, that as well … dark and cool … but not below 4C

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:28 pm

Yes, potatoes always in the dark, hence potato bags, mine are drawstring bags with hessian outside and black lining, let air in but not light, mine came from Poundland so I got the matching onion bag too, they are quite small but that suits me

I too buy the packs of 4 baking potatoes, very handy for one person

I got the biggest fridge freezer that would fit the foot print (actually there is one even taller that wouldn't fit my low ceiling), as there's no pantry and not many cupboards, it is helpful to me to have most food in there, and I do keep condiments in there that wouldn't need it if I got through the jar quicker

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:51 pm

I also have a tidy fridge, which tbf is pretty easy given I have a full size one just for me. I have the same size freezer too, but that lives in my spare room.

Postby dennispc » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:35 pm

As KC2 posted, outside can sometimes be warmish over the Christmas period. Fortunately I keep the compost bin going, so not entirely wasted.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:00 pm

Pampy wrote:I think that the life of refrigerated veg can depend on the fridge too. My old fridge(/freezer) was wonderful at keeping things in good condition for ages. It used to exhaust the moist air so was very dry inside. The expensive one that I have replaced it with is nowhere near as good. It seems that the air is much less dry so the veg lasts nowhere near as long.

I thought this was so interesting. I wonder if there is a specification to look for when purchasing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:49 pm

I think the problem is all the brands claim to have some sort of unique, and of course wonderful, air flow system that prolongs the life of stored food, no universal standard

Certainly the air in frost free fridges and freezers will be drier than in conventional, since they work simply by removing water vapour before it can settle as ice

This is why ice cubes disappear from uncovered ice trays in freezers, and veg and cheeses in fridges dry out, though the special compartments are sometimes claimed to reduce this

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox