Register

Quark life and use by date.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Quark life and use by date.

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:37 pm

A while back I bought 1kg of Polish quark in Sainsburys. I planned to make a Meissen cheesecake, but it didn't work out.

I am now ready to make one for another occasion, and intended to use the same pot of quark which has sat in the fridge. I assumed that quark, yogurt, cheese, etc. were devised to preserve milk products before fridges were available. So I was surprised to find a "use by" date on the pot and not a "best before" date.

The pot is unopened. It has a snap-on lid with a tear-off sealed lid beneath. The cheesecake is for a church event. Do you see any reason not to use it if it tastes and smells OK? "Use by" date is the term used on the pot, although most of the info is in Polish, with English right at the bottom of the list. "Use by" was the end of Sept and it's been in my fridge at 5ºC since.

Re: Quark life and use by date.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 pm

I might consider using it for myself, but not for a church event

Quark goes off quite rapidly once opened, it is only lightly soured, and though yours is still sealed, I really don't think it's advisable to spread it around the congregation - at around 12-14 weeks overdue, I don't think there's a significant difference between Best By and Use By

Postby Suelle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm

I'm pretty lax about 'use by' and 'best before' dates, but I don't think I'd use your Quark!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:43 pm

I agree about not using it to feed others who may be vulnerable in some way. It would be awful to make someone ill.

Four months does sound a bit of a long time. If it tastes alright, its lovely to use at home in place of yogurt with fruit etc. so you could try it gingerly.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 am

Thank you, all. It's more or less what I was thinking. I'll get some new quark for the church.

Then I'll make another cake for ourselves and try it. It will all be baked.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm

I agree with everyone else . A week or two yes, but not that many months

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox