Register

soup makers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

soup makers

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:33 pm

It's been a while since I have let myself become tempted by a gadget. I have been very self controlled in the last few years. However, I just read the superlative review of the Morphy Richards Clariy Soup make in Which? and I am a little tempted.

I think some of you have soup makers. How do those who have them feel about them (regardless of whether you have the one Which? calls a 'treasure'!)? Is it worth it? Husband eats soup for lunch most days. I doubt I could get him to use one himself but it might be better, cheaper and healthier to make it and if it were easier, I might just bother? (Althlugh he does favour over-processed tinned tomato which might be difficult, and in winter, less cost-effective, to replicate.)

"To say the Clarity Soup Maker is good would be like saying Usain Bolt is good at sprinting..." There is a whole paragraph devoted to pretty much justifying the nature of the review.

Re: soup makers

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:54 pm

i have a large pot, wooden spoon and a stick whizzer for smooth soup (like my version of tinned tomato) and the large pot and wooden spoon for chunky soup.
a soup maker is one of the gadgets i have never been tempted by. unless they make enough soup for a couple of bowls each and a repeat for the next day (or freezer) they wouldn't be large enough.
i may be tempted if i had no other cooking facility.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 pm

I am inclined to be with Scully on this one, although I prefer to use my goblet liquidiser. OH always uses the Bamix, never the goblet.

Funnily enough OH was reading about one that was advertised on his Instagram feed this morning and seemed to be rather impressed with it - I think it was one of those ones that "does everything".
We haven't got room anyway.

My cousin bought the Lakeland one, I think, and enthuses about it. Claims it's changed her life ... blah blah ... :lol: :lol:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:07 pm

My soup making is much as Scully's ... simple and straightforward in a big pot on the hob. We make a batch of soup at least once, sometimes twice a week ... what we don't use within a few days is frozen in portions (the deeper Benecol-type container holds enough for OH's soup flask) I really don't see the point of a gadget to make soup when making soup without is so simple .... I'm trying to cut down on things that need cupboard space not add to them.

I sometimes use a stick blender, sometimes the liquidiser. Minestronedoesn't get blended ... sometimes a chunky soup is required ... a few bashes with the potato masher does the job.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:13 pm

Much as I like kitchen gadgets, I've never considered a soup maker. Hob, pan, spoon, bamix (when needed) - does the lot. I've always wondered how a soup maker deals with things that take different times to cook - do they have to be added as and when they're needed? And what if you want to blend part of the mix but keep some pieces whole? I just can't see why/how they are better, or easier, than the "manual" method.

Postby mistakened » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:19 pm

I make a lot of soup at this time of year and have never seen a use for a soup maker. Most of the time is occupied by preparing the vegetables, I don't think that the machine peels and chops onions does it?

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:20 pm

I am sceptical too, which is why I was wondering if those who have bought/used them (if anyone has on here) thinks they are really worth it.

Oart of what puts me off making soup is that I can't be bothered with blenders and the like.

One thing that makes me even more sceptical is that it's not going to brown the onions. (I was so disappointed with the slow cooker when I realized you really needed to do this separately...)

I enjoy cooking (obvs) - I enjoy the different stages in making something, but soup... maybe it is one thing where pretty much pressing a button to make it would be a good thing.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:20 pm

mistakened wrote:..., I don't think that the machine peels and chops onions does it?

If it does, I might reconsider .............. ;)

If I lived in a studio flat or caravan I might make use of one .......

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:24 pm

Nope. Need a servant for that.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:36 pm

herbidacious wrote:Althlugh he does favour over-processed tinned tomato which might be difficult, and in winter, less cost-effective, to replicate

LTC's tomato soup recipe on the soup thread is pretty close, and uses tinned tomatoes and a can of baked beans ... I had some cans of baked beans that had been sitting in the cupboard since the first lockdown and it was good to use them up!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:43 pm

I’m with everyone else - I have a number of pots and a stick blender.

Planning to make winter minestrone later, it wouldn’t fit in the soup maker and it doesn’t need blending (apart from half a can of beans, best done with a stick blender or just a masher). I will however use the Magimix to shred the veg

Postby smitch » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:36 pm

I rarely bother blending soup as I usually make one that doesn’t need it. I also tend to just Chuck everything in and don’t follow a recipe :lol:

Our favourite is spiced lentil & squash. My veg box always has a great selection of squash varieties that I can’t resist buying :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:12 pm

I'm another who's never really wanted one. However, all the people I've known with them wonder how they lived before they had one.

A youngish girl who used to do my hair and had little interest in housekeeping was given one one Christmas by her boyfriend - NOT what she wanted! She absolutely adored it and sang its praises all the time. She said with her model you didn't have to peel the veg as it did everything for you. I have read up on them and as far as I can see, you always have to scrub the veg and remove things like onion skin even if you don't peel. The next person to get one was my relative in Norfolk. She is a good cook and has made her own nice soup for years but goes for ease now she's getting older. She is really thrilled with hers and I must say, when I have been served with soup from it the texture has been very smooth and lovely. There's much less washing up and mess than pans, blenders etc.

If I ate a lot of soup I'd consider it.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:15 pm

I tend to use the IP (and a stick blender where necessary). That way, onions can be browned, soup cooked and liquidised in the same pan.

Postby Binky » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:10 pm

We have a soup maker and we like it. The benefit is that you chuck everything in and walk away. No need for stirring or pot-watching. If you have storage space then it's definitely worth considering.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:26 pm

Ok. Well I will sleep on it.

I think part of me just wants to treat myself, and buying clothes at the moment is a bit depressing. (Not that I haven't.) I have bought quite a few books of late...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:46 pm

My GD's ma would have to know exactly where she was going to store an item like a soup maker before purchasing it. I on the other hand would purchase it then wonder where on earth to put it. Might that help you decide? ;)

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:29 am

I thought I'd take a look at said soup maker just to see if it could be amazing. I make a lot of soup and like others have favoured pots and a stick blender and glass goblet blender for blitzing.

Here's a youtube promo I looked at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNKCJyjRahc

What I thought:
It looks on the big and clunky side and would take up a fair bit of room on a counter top or storage space as said.
It's clear plastic, which is actually a pain to keep really sparkling clean - takes a lot more than a quick rinse and wipe down with a sponge as shown on the video and over time will get likely dull as all transparent plastic does especially when repeatedly subjected to heat and oils/fats. If it was pyrex type heatproof glass I might take another look.
The only thing it has that a pot and hand blender doesn't is a timer.
You still have to wash the blade/blender part by immersing in soapy water. Same as a stick blender only you have the whole electronic control assembly attached.
You can't make soups that need initial frying - it only boils. So back to a pot if frying is needed.
It's listed at just under £120 on Amazon UK, which is a lot for what it is IMO.
Shoes always work as treats for me as do brand new chef's knives :D

Agree with Suffs - probably useful if you have very limited cooking facilities.

About Justa-like-bought (only better) tomato soups: I've been making Gill's super excellent recipe for years - 30 minutes, stick blender or goblet (best) and strained if I can be bothered, but not necessary. Still gets rave reviews every time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 am

You know, I cannot for the life of me remember where I picked up that tomato soup recipe, Zero.
I think it was on Saturday Kitchen with Gino - when my question was read out on the telly about how to make a stunning one.
And Gino said make sure there's an apple in it.

If I liked soups, I'd get one for sure. In one end, out the other. You bet.
But a cheaper gadget, £120 is too much.
I make soups reluctantly when asked I'm afraid. Which is why I have a repertoire of 2: the tomato soup & chicken with mushroom soup.

Perhaps if I made a thai style I'd like it more.

Go for it, is my advice. An easy night off any cooking is worth it, and if you are soup eaters, you'll get a lot of use from it surely.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 am

I love soups especially in winter, they warm you up and can be quite filling. I am a believer in good stock to start with. Then I just look in the fridge to see what is in there. Don't always follow a recipe unless it's a special occasion. OH is not a lover of soups and always makes a face if one appears but always says it is tasty. He is one of those that just has to have bread/toast with it...... :roll:

I don't think I would be interested in the soup machine as I enjoy the aroma in the house and a quick taste when passing the hob to check on the flavours and seasoning.

I have a stick blender and use it a lot for smooth soups but sometimes only do half and leave the rest chunky.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox